News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mopar Nationals

Started by 69_500, August 14, 2005, 07:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_500

So did you do the Cruising Branson under the lights? Isn't that the same weekend as the Nats? I was thinking of taking my 500 to that instead of the nationals, due to the chance to cruise with a Daytona in that one.

Ghoste

I don't have any solutions but I do have a couple of observations.  First off, I remember when it went to Indy all everone did was bitch about how great it was in Columbus.  IRP was a better track but does everyone recall the martial law reaction of the Indy police and their very clear direction that they did NOT want us in their town?  Remember the motel gouging?
Of course the cruise part had everyone longing for Brice and it took on this mythical status that could never be lived up to and when we did go back, it seemed like the wild west with burnouts everwhere.  It's no wonder the cops there now cut it down to one lane and create a stinking logjam.  The old Brice was lots of cruising and very few burnouts with zero tolerance.  Our memories made it bigger than it was.
Truth is, the Nats are just like their slogan about "not just a car show, it's an event".  It's a big party and they treat it as such.  Luckily for me, my old rat is just a Charger beater so even though I whine about the parking, I don't get as stressed as I would if I owned a 69 500 or a Hemi RT.  I am glad you brought both of those cars this time and I took  lots of film of them dust and all.  They were still beautiful.

lumpy

:popcrn: ..... it is quite interesting to here this kind of feedback from people that have attended this show for a number of years. I am 36 years old and have been a fan of Mopars since I was about twelve, and bought my first car when I was 14, a '68 Plymouth Sport Fury 383 auto. Since then I have owned over 20 vehicles that fall under the Chrysler umbrella, I currently own 5. Sometime in early spring, I called my older brother up to see if he would like to ride out to Columbus with me in my '67 Coronet 500 Conv. Niether one of us had ever been to an all Mopar show, so we were pretty excited!! The 12 hour trip out to Columbus took 23 hours!! We ended up taking my '70 R/T S.E Challenger and were held up in a heavy rainstorm before we could even get out of Iowa, 5 hours behind schedule, drove over 700 miles with no problems, never saw any other mopars traveling under their own power, traffic jam on I70 7 hours behind schedule, fuel pump failed in heat 3 more hours, exhaust weld busted loose from header from pot hole on hwy 40 at 70 mph, 2 more hours behind schedule. We had planned on being there at 10am, but checked into our room at 9pm, oh they gave our reserved room away to someone else, so we had to fork out the extra $150 for the suite. I got up at 6am the next morning and washed my car in the hotel parking lot, went to the show and we both could not believe the number and the range of cars on hand. Everything from a blown black '71 Cuda pro street car to a concours restoredHemi R/T S.E. to a customized gullwing Dart!! WOW, I was in Heaven but i wasn't in Iowa!! I thought the show was Awesome, but on the other hand I can see why some people would be critical, I can offer this, if you want something changed, why not get involved? Your input here on this message board does not do anything to change the way the show will be run in the future, so quit your whinning, nobody forced you to go in the first place. We had an awful trip out there and the trip back was also full of untimley events, but we had a great time at the show, Brice Road, and afterwards at the motel parking lot.I will be back!!!

hotrod98

Hey 69 500,
The show that was in  Branson last weekend was the "Super Summer Cruise"  based at the "Shepherd of the Hills" facility. The "Cruisin Branson Lights" show has been moved to the last weekend of August, but isn't going to have a cruise this year since their permit was pulled by the city. We're not going to that show since I have way too much to do. I have to finish the 67 hemi GTX that I've got on the rotisserie and then finish putting my chal convert hemi clone together. All while I'm gathering info and parts for my Daytona clone. Making me tired just talking about it.
My wife and son are taking the cudas to a small mopar show in Fayetteville, AR this weekend if it doesn't get rained out.

By the way...I love the Nats...just can't go every year like some people do. I need the money to maintain all of these mopars here at home. lol

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

hemigeno

Quote from: lumpy on August 16, 2005, 08:51:42 PM
I can offer this, if you want something changed, why not get involved? Your input here on this message board does not do anything to change the way the show will be run in the future, so quit your whinning, nobody forced you to go in the first place.

Are you sure you weren't driving a dark blue minivan with New Yahk plates?

Your statement makes it sound as if any negative comment made about the show is whining.  You have no idea how much I would have loved to have fixed the few "serious" problems I encountered, but then I would probably be typing this from jail right now.  The lack of organization by the show's promoter is the reason idiocy occasionally ran rampant last weekend.  If there had been anyone with authority around, 90% of the problems I saw would have been alleviated, and the rest would be what you normally get with a large group of people.  End of story.

lumpy, I'm sorry you had a bummer of a trip up, and I'm glad you enjoyed your time at the show itself.  Just because you didn't experience any numbskulls doesn't mean they weren't there.

Whining....    :slap:

lumpy

This was my first time at a national event, the people that I met there were very friendly and helpful with the problems that we had. I did not hear anybody complaining about anything except the heat on Sat. and the prices at the swap meet ::) $550 for a RH mirror for my car!! I am surprised that this thread does not have anymore positive posts. Do all of you veteran showgoers just hate the Nats? ??? I was just pumped up to be there and to be able to see everything that I saw. I really have nothing to compare it to , except the Goodguys Heartland Nats. that is held  close to where I live. I enjoy that show very much every year, and the orginization is not any better. It's true that it seemed that there really was no one in charge of the event, but I think we all realize that alot of work is needed in order to put on a show of this size!! Please post your positive Nats comments :yesnod:

Ghoste

I thought my comments were positive.  25 year chain or no, if I were having a crappy time I'd quit going.  As to changing the show by getting involved, it ain't no hometown show.  It may have started out that way but Jim Bielenda does this for profit today.  I doubt he makes much money personally from it and I would think that he puts in an enormous amount of time.  In spite of that, or because of it, its his show and it will be run (unrun??) his way.  I suppose someone could try and organize a volunteer posse to work the gates and control parking, but gates are run by Natioanl Trail as far as I know.  A few years ago, golf carts were an out of hand problem and people complained so much that the Nats staff cracked down on bringing in your own golf carts.  Let me repeat, your OWN golf carts.  Now you rent them from Natioanl Trail and the problem is solved.
There, that's my negative comment.
Seriously though Lumpy, I had a great time and I will go again next year.

Old Moparz

I've only been to the Nats 3 times, 1985, 1988 & 2003. I liked the '85 best at Milan, & the '03 the least in Columbus because of the unorganized atmosphere. ('88 was better though, but probably smaller) I'll still go when I can, but would try to go more often if it were closer & better organized. I don't feel I'm missing out on anything if I don't go, unlike a Carlisle show. Too bad Carlisle didn't have a 1/4 mile drag strip on site.

As for no right to complain? What happened to being satisfied with what you pay for? If it were a free show like the local cruises are, I would almost expect it to be chaos, but with the fees involved, it should be better. Price gouging happens at Carlisle too, an $89 room was $189 during an event. Raceway Park in Englishtown, NJ could give lessons to Columbus in how to run an event. BTW, golf carts are still an issue if you read this:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1916397&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

As long as a profit is seen, most people running it won't care about solving "minor" problems, at least until it hits their wallet. It's a one time annual event & not done weekly, so I seriously doubt most complaints will be looked into. If it stays the same size or grows, it's going to be difficult to control no matter what. That's too bad, because it'll take a major mishap like a golf cart injury or a big dollar show car getting damaged before someone hears it.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

lumpy

Ghostes' comments are more positive than most here :yesnod: still waiting to read that someone had an awesome time and thought that it was the best thing that they have seen :2thumbs:maybe I'm just blind to these other problems, because I am a first timer, but by nature i am someone that will find positive in any situation and tend to ignore things negative, I just try to have a good time no matter where I'm at .

694spdRT

We took dad's '71 Six pack last year to the Charger Tribute last year and it was no problem for us. The sent us our confirmation for parking and we got right in.

I would not want a nice car out in the general car area though. I enjoy the show we just don't go every year.

I feel the exhibition drags have fell off some in the last few years, but that may be due external factors.  ???
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

hotrod98

The first time that you attend the nats, it's so overwhelming just seeing that many mopars in the same place at the same time. I'll never forget my first visit at Indy. When you go for the second time, the thrill is not as great. You're still excited, just not to the same degree.
I will admit that there is a definite lack of organization. It's kind of a free-for-all once you're in the gates. I think most of the criticisms that I've heard here on the forum are legitimate. Everyone has a right to their opinion. It's not whining, it's just their opinion. Who knows, maybe someone that is involved with the nats will be reading and there may be some slight changes because of it.

Charles Addams

lumpy

When your opinion criticizes, the work of others ,but you are not willing to change to make matters better... well it kinda sounds like Whini.. :-X

Old Moparz

Quote from: lumpy on August 17, 2005, 11:39:56 AM
When your opinion criticizes, the work of others ,but you are not willing to change to make matters better... well it kinda sounds like Whini.. :-X

I'll remember that if I ever have to have something amputated or removed. I'll just stay awake to make sure Dr. Abudalooney's nurses have the right chart.   :icon_smile_big:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Troy

So who is whining that actually has the power to change things at the Nats? We could all stop going then it would change I'm sure. I don't recall the organizers asking for my opinion or putting me in charge of anything. I paid $40 to get in (no car) to see the "show" yet I had to walk miles out of my way to find cars stuffed against a fence or in oddball places because of all the trailers and non-show vehicles parked in the middle of the grounds. I'm sure that I missed many nice cars because of this. The "featured" cars, judged cars, and group tents were about the only guaranteed places to find a spot. The people at the show were rude for the most part (try taking pictures some time). It didn't matter much if they were walking or riding in a cart.

I have enjoyed the Nats every time I've gone and this year was no exception. Other than the sahara-like temperatures all weekend, I had a great time running around and inspecting some awesome cars. I personally don't care if the cars are separated into like groups because a little variety is good. I usually only go for the show itself so I've never been to Brice Road or any other activities outside of the show until this year. I'll probably do it all again in the future.

I think Carlisle was more organized and a better show for the specatator. It seemed fairly well set up for the entrants as well. If I have the chance I'll still go to both of them.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Charger_Fan

$40 a ticket? Holy crapolee!! :o
Is there a giveaway car involved? Are they trying to make up for all the funds needed for grounds upkeep in one weekend? That's disgusting.

I snivvle when I have to pay $16 per ticket for our annual "big" show here...but at least each ticket get's you a chance at a giveaway car.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

hemigeno

Quote from: lumpy on August 17, 2005, 11:39:56 AM
When your opinion criticizes, the work of others ,but you are not willing to change to make matters better... well it kinda sounds like Whini..

:rotz:

Danny (69_500), Dewayne (Danny's dad), and I DID go talk to Jim Bielenda, the show promoter, about the problem.   You know what he said?  

"Well, after the early-morning rush, we put the "B" team out at the gates, so there's no one there who knows anything about where non-show cars and trailers are supposed to park.   We have this problem all the time.   They shouldn't park there, but there's not much we can do if they aren't at their car.   If you get me their sticker number, we'll keep them from registering next year."

::)

Ummmhmmm...   tell me another story, and this time make it a western, wouldya?

That doesn't even begin to explain the problem Danny and Dewayne had in trying to get permission to film for (and later, to sell) videos of the event.   To say that Jim B. and his crew were less than helpful both prior to and at the show would be an understatement.   I'll let Danny explain that in greater detail, but the word "shakedown" comes to mind...

The cold hard fact is that there was no event personnel around to direct where people were supposed to park or not park.   THAT is my chief complaint, and we DID take it up with the top dog.   Can't go any higher.   We still got nowhere, and there was certainly no offer to deputize us so that we could rectify the situation.

Until you know the full story lumpy, you should try not making statements about what has or has not happened, when you have not the slightest clue about what our situation was.

[/rant]

hotrod98

:iagree:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Charles Addams

694spdRT

Has the car show participant parking always been a problem? We have only taken the Charger when they had the tribute last year.

At Monster Mopar Weekend it seemed better organized....heck the gate guy even made us pop the hood to make sure we could enter the "stock" class.

As for the $40 you have to remember that is for 3 days and it includes drag racing, exhibitions, swap meet, car show, car corral etc. I am not saying it is a drop in the bucket, but what is anymore.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Troy

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on August 17, 2005, 02:02:45 PM
$40 a ticket? Holy crapolee!! :o
Is there a giveaway car involved? Are they trying to make up for all the funds needed for grounds upkeep in one weekend? That's disgusting.

I snivvle when I have to pay $16 per ticket for our annual "big" show here...but at least each ticket get's you a chance at a giveaway car.

As stated above, the $40 admission was for 3 days and it does include admission to the track (well, it's all together whether you want to see the races or not). I think it's $20 for one day. That's one person - no car. The Chrysler Classic shows are $15 for one day and $25 for both days I believe and they are much smaller and easier to navigate.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

AKcharger

I went last year for the Tribute and parked in the Charger area...I was horrifed at the fun field cars parked "Helter Skelter" all over the place. That will be our last Nats visit, it was too chaotic. Races were neat but not worth it...Calisle is the cats meow! :Twocents:

Ghoste

It's 65 dollars if you're bringing in a car (tickets are for two people then) and more if you're racing.  The exhibition racing has slid off and that is likely a cost issue.  I also noticed the Pro Stock cars weren't there this year and I figured Jeggy would show for sure.
This was by far the worst year ever for non show vehicles on the property and there were a lot of complaints so who knows.
I got hit by a golf cart myself btw and that was when I was wearing that goofy hat. 

moparjohn

I had a great time all in all. When you know what to expect (3rd year now) you find a place to park and make the best of it. I had the pleasure of meeting Troy and we got to talk for a while He is a great guy and I look forward to seeing him again. I also meet Telvis and his son, that was nice also but we didn't have that much time.  Brice road was the best cruising in 3 years though the crowd was less. And finnally it was nice to be an attention whore when I drove my Charger down Brice with my friend Kevin (Piper) playing the bagpipes!  That alone made the trip worth wild the spectators and fellow cruisers went WILD! John
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

moparjohn

Here's a couple of jackasses playing the crowd
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

Ghoste

I should have went with you guys.

472 R/T SE

I love bagpipes, I bet that was cool.