News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The verdict on EFI...I DO NOT recommend..

Started by AKcharger, October 23, 2023, 06:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Last update...Issue resolved!
Carb back on and car running reliability again. Starts just as good as EFI and faster...no waiting on fuel pump. While I do maintain this was a mistake and unnecessary for ME, I will adjust my assessment of EFI in general and confident ALL my troubles were due to negligence of the shop and NOT of the Holley system. As I undid their "work" and matched it to instruction manual I'm actually surprised it ran. 1) loose pressure line on fuel tank causing fuel leak 2) fuel filters mis-installable with one before the pump and one...on the return line???? 3) Fuel pump improperly located 4) The push rod for my fuel pump was still in there rattling around 5) power incorrectly wired to pos. side of coil 6) an additional relay that was wired to EFI...but did nothing and wasn't in instructions 7) looks like they cut my Temp sensor wire when they installed the kit one so have to run a new one from Bulkhead block.
They did good work in past and earned my trust...no idea why they just went off the deep end??  :shruggy:  :shruggy:

Kern Dog

Over at FBBO, there is a thread about a Tremec 5 speed swap in a 69 Coronet.
I mentioned how the swap took almost 2 months but that it could have been quicker if the workdays were closer together and longer each day. I put out the question: How long would a shop take to do it?
A member responded that he thought a shop would probably run right through it with no special care to the details just to finish and get it out of the shop so they can keep things moving.
I mention this because I wonder if the shop that did the EFI installation had that same mindset. Knock it out fast just to keep from having a car sitting and blocking room to get another car in to work on.
Some guys take their cars to shops because they like the car but don't have the skills, tools or the space to do it themselves. I suspect that these shops figure that their customers may never know what level of butchery was used to do the job on their car OR they just don't care.

AKcharger

100% Agree! in the PAST they weren't like that, but looks like they changed. I could have done it myself but didn't want to hence why it went to them. will NEVER happen again.
No one cares about our cars like we do!

Kern Dog

I couldn't justify the cost to have a shop swap my 727 for the Tremec but even if I could afford it, why ??
I'm still able to do everything myself as long as I have these forums. I sometimes get stuck and helpful members come up with creative solutions.

b5blue

Seems the more I pay someone the less I get! My engine shop is gold and the guy I got the car from owns a transmission shop, they raced with each other for years.  :2thumbs:

John_Kunkel

Quote from: AKcharger on December 15, 2023, 07:24:28 PMLast update...Issue resolved!
Carb back on and car running reliability again.

Looks like somebody might be getting a good deal on a slightly used EFI kit.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

AKcharger

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 16, 2023, 01:02:10 PMLooks like somebody might be getting a good deal on a slightly used EFI kit.

Maybe, right now it's helping prop my fence open

John_Kunkel

Quote from: AKcharger on December 17, 2023, 09:45:54 AM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 16, 2023, 01:02:10 PMLooks like somebody might be getting a good deal on a slightly used EFI kit.

Maybe, right now it's helping prop my fence open

I'll traded you a cinder block for it and even pay the shipping. :lol:

AKcharger

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 18, 2023, 03:26:23 PMI'll traded you a cinder block for it and even pay the shipping. :lol:

Tempting!

on a serious note, took it out for a spin today, runs better than ever!

Kern Dog

Florida and most of California have weather that do allow year round driving of most cars.

b5blue

Glad your back in the saddle again.  :cheers:

AKcharger

Derwud

Sorry you had so much trouble. I built my engine and car for EFI. I was going to go FI Tech until I saw Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4. What I learned in 3 installs.. GROUNDS and lots of them. Electrical interference is a thing (I had to move the Module on the Small Block as it would get electrical interference from the Dist. I moved it 4 inches or so and no more problem), In-tank pumps are the only way to go. EFI power and ground must be hooked directly to the Battery. Lastly NO Exhaust leaks..

1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Kern Dog on October 24, 2023, 08:08:37 PMMy Demon 850 can sit for well over a month and still start up within 15-20 seconds.
Not as good as a well tuned EFI system but not like some guys say.....the guys that crank and crank for 2 minutes or more!

Wow.  People crank for that long?

If there is more than a few days between starts for my car, I splash a small bit of fuel down the gullet and manually double check the idle set for fast.  The engine fires on what feels like the first revolution, and the idle smooths out nicely after a few seconds.  I think the bowl check valve is not functioning and allowing the fuel to drain out, but that's just a theory.  If I don't follow those steps, I'll end up cranking for maybe a few seconds, stop, tap the gas a couple times, crank again for a few, repeat several times.  Maybe a total of ten seconds of cranking.

If cranking mine took over 30 seconds, I'd be losing my shit.

I'm running the factory Carter AVS that's been refreshed a couple times by me.

Guess I'll keep my carb, sounds like it's doing pretty good.  Sure, it's kind of small hassle to do all those steps, but I feel like the engine will be healthier in the long run for it.  Maybe someday a new check valve, see if that helps.

69wannabe

I tried a fi tech unit several years ago. It ran ok but it still didn't start like fuel injection is supposed to start. I tried to make it work but after a little less than a year I put my carburetor back on and haven't looked back. The carburetor is more consistent on my car than the fi tech was so I traded the fi tech crap off and that was the end of that.

Kern Dog

A buddy of mine also tried the FITech and he also was not pleased. After his 3rd breakdown, he was talking with a guy at a car show. The man was trying to help and to assess what Rich's goals were for the car....
So, what do you want from the car?
His response was classic!
What I want is to not to have to tow it back home all the time.
He had the system on a mild 440. He went to an Edelbrock 800 and has been quite happy since.

HANDM

Hmm, you guys are making me question my purchase of a new sniper kit, in tank fuel pump and two fuel filters. I've been considering this conversion for a few years now and when this deal came up (bought it from a member or e-bodies.org) I jumped on it.

I've been working on these cars for over thirty years so I'm confident I can get it up and running fairly quickly.
I'll keep the carb handy just in case though  :o 

Kern Dog

From what I understand, the successful switch to EFI is absolutely dependent on proper installation and adequate grounding. The early FITech systems had systemic issues related entirely to faulty equipment. The other systems seemed much better but are much more sensitive to errors than a carbureted car. You can get close with a carburetor and the car will still run and drive. With the electrical demands of EFI, a few simple error leaves you stranded and at the mercy of a tow truck.

HANDM

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 14, 2024, 02:57:44 PMFrom what I understand, the successful switch to EFI is absolutely dependent on proper installation and adequate grounding. The early FITech systems had systemic issues related entirely to faulty equipment. The other systems seemed much better but are much more sensitive to errors than a carbureted car. You can get close with a carburetor and the car will still run and drive. With the electrical demands of EFI, a few simple error leaves you stranded and at the mercy of a tow truck.

Well since I'll probably never drive the car the chances of getting stuck is zero!  :lol:  :lol:

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 14, 2024, 02:57:44 PMFrom what I understand, the successful switch to EFI is absolutely dependent on proper installation and adequate grounding.

BINGO !!

QuoteThe early FITech systems had systemic issues related entirely to faulty equipment

Mine is about as early as they come, purchased July 2015. Like all other products, ya pays your dime and ya takes your chances.

Kern Dog

I heard of several FITech systems that had ECU failures as well as problems with the underhood "command center".

will

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 14, 2024, 08:49:39 PMI heard of several FITech systems that had ECU failures as well as problems with the underhood "command center".

I had heard of many problems with the fuel command center, but I never had any problems. I recently upgraded to the in tank fuel pump system and ran the corvette fuel regulator. I have the 800 Meanstreet. Timing control is not used on the meanstreet. Supposedly these fitechs don't like mopar ignition systems, but there are workarounds. I do agree grounding is very important for these systems. The ears on the baseplates have been breaking off, I don't think people realize they have to be somewhat mechanically inclined to install these systems. As far as ECU failures i decided recently to send it back to upgrade the unit to the remote ECU just for peace of mind. My car has run flawlessly since I installed it.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 14, 2024, 08:49:39 PMI heard of several FITech systems that had ECU failures as well as problems with the underhood "command center".

Funny how the world works, any problems with a product immediately go viral but satisfied users are rarely moved to voice their satisfaction.

Lots of posts over the decades complaining about problems with carburetors.

Kern Dog

It must be human nature.
A satisfied customer tells 3 people while a DISsatisfied one tells 20.