News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The verdict on EFI...I DO NOT recommend..

Started by AKcharger, October 23, 2023, 06:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

375instroke

Quote from: Kern Dog on October 27, 2023, 07:58:17 PMHere is one for you, AK:

01 degree.png

At the track, endurance racing, this dude told us our car was slow because we were overjetted, and he called the jets we were using exactly, and what we should be running, along with our accelerator pump self oscillating at 4000RPM, causing our dead spot, just by hearing us go down the straightaway.

375instroke

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 11, 2023, 01:12:56 PM
Quote from: Kern Dog on December 10, 2023, 08:47:22 PMYou probably gain cold start improvements, altitude change enrichment and lean-out

One thing you failed to mention is the advantage to cars that aren't driven regularly. When fuel evaporates from the carb bowl it's a routine of pump the pedal, crank, pump the pedal again, repeat as necessary until it starts.

AKCharger has outlined the trials and tribulations of his installation but I wonder...how does it perform after it does start? Are you happy with that?
That's me if I don't drive it for a day.  How does just a little alcohol in the gas cause all the gas to evaporate in a day?

John_Kunkel

"Reid vapor pressure (RVP) is a common measure of the volatility of gasoline and other petroleum products. It is defined as the absolute vapor pressure exerted by the vapor of the liquid and any dissolved gases/moisture at 37.8 °C (100 °F) as determined by the test method ASTM-D-323.

The matter of vapor pressure is important relating to the function and operation of gasoline-powered, especially carbureted, vehicles and is also important for many other reasons. High levels of vaporization are desirable for winter starting and operation and lower levels are desirable in avoiding vapor lock during summer heat. Fuel cannot be pumped when there is vapor in the fuel line (summer) and winter starting will be more difficult when liquid gasoline in the combustion chambers has not vaporized. Thus, oil refineries manipulate the Reid vapor pressure seasonally specifically to maintain gasoline engine reliability."

Bottom line, since current gasoline is formulated for fuel-injected engines, carbs won't operate at optimum with it.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Captain D

One thing with the EFI is that you'll need to eliminate the ballast resistor + run the MSD box....