News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hertz abandons the use of EVs for their rental fleet.

Started by Kern Dog, October 31, 2023, 03:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

Did you watch the video ??

It does not say they are getting rid of their EV fleet it just says they are not stocking up on them as fast as they had said they were

Why ?

The one reason was the prices had come down on some of the new Tesla cars making it hard for the rental company to sell them off later as a used car without a big loss

Other reason they talk about was repair costs of EV cars but not sure how that has any effect on the rental company because you have to buy car insurance when you rent the car so it is the insurance company paying the bill is it not ??? 
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

armor64

i thought it would be more to do with how difficult it can be to charge if you are not already down with the technology for some of the different stations. A buddy tried loaning his tesla to his parents for a weekend and had to go over the smartphone side of signing up to charge and stuff, was alot of extra effort than just paying at the pump for them.

Kern Dog

AKcharger

John_Kunkel

Quote from: 70 sublime on October 31, 2023, 07:23:56 AMDid you watch the video ??

It does not say they are getting rid of their EV fleet it just says they are not stocking up on them as fast as they had said they were

Aww. You ruined Greg's dynamic.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

2nd69charger

Quote from: 70 sublime on October 31, 2023, 07:23:56 AMDid you watch the video ??

Why ?

The one reason was the prices had come down on some of the new Tesla cars making it hard for the rental company to sell them off later as a used car without a big loss

Other reason they talk about was repair costs of EV cars but not sure how that has any effect on the rental company because you have to buy car insurance when you rent the car so it is the insurance company paying the bill is it not ??? 
just dumping 20,000 of them out!!!

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Kern Dog

Electric vehicles could be FREE and I wouldn't want one.

Kern Dog

1970Moparmann

Ford cuts jobs...
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

tan top

ive tried to keep away from reading & watching all the crap coming from media out lets ,  with what fantastic game changing idea , of  eventually conveting the whole world to electric vehicals ,( actually they are not electric EVs ,
they are not connected to the mains electric grid perminatly ?  they are battery vehicals , just like cordless drills !  you / we dont call cordless drills that have a battery & batterycharger ! electric drills  do we ?
we call a drill an electric drill because  we plug it into the mains electricity so its a electric drill un plug it dont work , so why are rechargable battery cars called electric cars ? they get power from battery do they not ?
is it the powers that be ( not naming names & finger pointing whos ideas & fault it is & whos mad ( dont want a visit from the men in black at 3 am  & never be seen again ; :lol: )  they want to make them sound more fantastic , futuristic game changing  invention ?   
  battery powered vehicals have their place  , golf carts  , mobility scooters , battery powered kids scooters , radio controlled model cars etc  as for real world  battery powered cars , wake up it will never never work, just briefly reading off the net all the problems  the battery car owners are facing , think everyone with a brain knew  what the problems would be or are with a battery powered car even before the first one was sold , are their that many stupid people & or gullible  people  to think  battery cars will work & never saw this comming, for day to day real life what  gasoline cars have been doing in one way or another for the last 100 plus years no chance ,  battery cars ok for people with too much disposable income & live on fanticy island
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x_QbVDlLbI

was watching one of the youtube links  said over a million battery cars were sold last year the US , sorry to say never realised there were that many people with that kind of money still believed in the Earth is Flat, its frightning really  when even the powers that be believe it will work to. or are they just seeing how stupid &  how easily fooled a lot of the of the population are , battery car EV thing must be a joke thats just got out of hand & no one wants to back down & admit thet F***ed up , come on seriously 60 / 80 grand for a battery car & be frightend to use the AC or  heater because it will reduce the range , see it must of been a joke from the very top , that they cant go back on  :lol:
only way there will ever be real electric cars is if , they  had a small necular reactor supplying the power in the trunk , & were made striped down simple cheap modes of transportation that can be bought for 5 grand from the dealer & free servicing  :P  :-\  then  think we just might just see the end of gasoline powered cars daily drivers    10 thousand years from now  ;D ;)  :yesnod:
  IF battery cars were as good as they were made out to be in ( Silvester stallone film demolition man film ) & could be bought for 10 grand , or i was given one would drive it as a daily,  :icon_smile_wink:  seriously think the sun will burn out before battery cars will get as good as they are portrayed in hollywood movies , the whole idea of battery powered EVs replacing gasoline powered cars is insane  :yesnod: & rather than the powers that be in each counrty go back on their word & admit they screwed up  they will backrupt every where  & everybody involved with EVs  :Twocents:  :o
 hope i'm kind of wrong because soo much money &  jobs will be lost :Twocents:

Screenshot 8624.jpgScreenshot 8625.jpgrsz_286294352.jpg124279805-hbrn970l.jpgenvironmental-issues-salesmen-car_salesmen-automobile-battery-battery_power-hbrn971_low.jpg2urybc (1).jpg     

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 

Kern Dog

Some people do not accept nor want to believe that the extreme push for the switch to BEVs (Battery electric vehicles) is quite possibly an issue of government control. They can take over the utility companies through regulation. They can deny power to your house, the BEVs can be remotely accessed to lock them down so they can't be used or could be stopped while your out driving them. BEVs are the exact opposite of being off the grid. With them, you are as traceable as a convict with an ankle monitor. They will know where you are, where you go, what you say when in or near the car too. If the government officials don't like your political opinions, they can shut you down. This is not meant to blame any specific political party...ALL government will have the ability to track and stop you if they choose to. I don't like that, especially since LAND OF THE FREE is such a big part of our nations history.
Now, I can imagine the types that dismiss any thought of government over-reach...

I'm not suggesting that we all go back to points ignition slant six Valiants but every newer car with OnStar or Sirius XM is also connected in some way. Your cell phone "connects" you too.

JB400

Someone didn't realize that this pic is of a burnt Challenger.

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

John_Kunkel

I realize that it's  de rigueur on car forums to lambast EV's but why not just leave it "to each his own" without all the hyperbole?

The only reason I'm not driving an EV is because I can't afford the one I want.

Kern Dog

I strongly suspect that the pushback against these vehicles is rooted directly at how they are being forced as a replacement for what was have now.
When you are forced into something that you don't want, it is natural to resist it.
If these cars were simply an option to the buying public, you'd see criticism from people but not nearly as much outright hatred.
The push flies directly opposite of free market Capitalism, a founding institution of a successful country.
EVs are not a better mousetrap. The fans of them try to use talking points to support them such as no emissions, saving the planet when neither of those is true, it is actually the opposite when you look at the whole picture.
If they were just a choice among others instead of being the ONLY choice, the free market would let them exist at the will of the buying public.
Look at how the sales have dropped off in the past two years. A Ford exec was quoted as saying he thought the market has receded because the first buyers were a segment known as "early adopters" that are the people that always want to be the first to have the new gadgets, the new technology. Once that segment was saturated, the segment of people that were just looking to replace their aging vehicles were not interested.

Kern Dog

When you take away the rebates and government incentives, these cars cost a LOT more than gas equivalents with far more downsides and less convenience.
The government didn't invest in putting in gasoline stations across the country because the government didn't force people to buy gasoline powered cars.
The exact opposite is happening though.
Feds using OUR tax dollars to fund power lines and charging stations? Yeah...I don't want that any more than I want government involved in most aspects of our lives.

Mike DC

The govt has spent trillions to subsidize gasoline (oil).  Been doing it since before we were born.  Cheap leases to drill for oil on govt land, US Navy patrolling all the shipping lanes, entire wars fought to keep countries/regions stable, etc.  Let's not pretend the US govt would give a crap about the middle east if it wasn't for the oil under it.  Let's not pretend we would have spent decades allied with Saudi Arabia if it wasn't for their colossal oilfields.   

The govt subsidizes EVs now too.  There's nothing surprising about that.  It's not a question of which tech they want.  The govt is perfectly willing to give out subsidies to two conflicting techs at the same time.  They will subsidize and tax something at the same time too. 

Kern Dog

Government land...No,  WE the citizens are the country, the government is a parasite. The land does not belong to them.
Government funded is TAXPAYER funded. The government can only give what it takes from all of us.
The taxpayers never paid for gas stations to be built or repaired like we are doing for the charging stations and "Infrastructure" to support BEVs...
The government does sneaky things to give some industries unfair advantages while making it harder on others.
The reason that gasoline powered cars took hold and dominated was because it was a better and cheaper idea.....and the public chose gas over electric.
The same thing is happening now.
Without huge rebates, the majority of the buying public wouldn't buy any electric car.
We all know the tech nerd that has to have the newest phone or APP on it, he/she loves new tech. Those seem to be a large percentage of the fans.
They are not the majority though.
I see this topic covered all over and as I suspected, the overwhelming common complaint is that the government is forcing it. Independent thinkers don't want nor need the government to make their choices for them.
Imagine the panic in the boardrooms of these automakers....knowing that most of the buying public isn't interested in what they are building. All this talk about how tech will improve, these cars will get better ALSO scare off buyers of today. Who in their right mind would buy brown bananas when something better and fresher is being promised? The resale value of EVs is already crap, it will be far worse if/when a better design is invented. If Ford is actually losing an average of $36,000 on each EV, you think they are going to make it up in volume?
No, they will not. The cost of GAS powered cars will have to go up to cover the losses.
EVERY time the government gets involved in business, the prices go up. Remember college loans? The Govt guarantees the student loan so the colleges raise tuition rates. The same is happening here.
Let the market decide. Cars are already cleaner than they have ever been. If you want to use a greenie term, CARBON FOOTPRINT, the EVs are far dirtier when you consider the energy spent and land disturbed for battery mining and manufacturing, EV charging from coal fired power plants, increased tire wear (emissions, look it up) potential battery failures ($$$) and low resale value.....finally, the difficulty of recycling and disposal of some very nasty chemicals.

John_Kunkel

Everybody knows your opinion of EV's Greg, consider giving it a rest.

b5blue

Anyone recall 1999? The world was gonna end and civilization collapse cuz computers would go wonky. Preppers have been looking for doomsday since the first Russian nuke.  :scratchchin: Internet just made it all amp up. Your tiny 12 year old minds struggle understand.
 Keep calm and carry on, it's gonna all be fine with or without you. :lol:     

Mike DC

Here's something else interesting that is not getting much notice: 

- There is damn near WW3 in the middle east.  The USA is backing Israel and we know how the OPEC countries feel about that. 

- There's a hot war with Russia in Europe too. Russia is a huge petro supplier for the region. 

- There's a Democrat in the White House, and . . .

(drumroll)

. . . . US gas prices are still cheap as hell. 

Seriously.  Adjust it for inflation.  Milk is like $4.75 a gallon now.  A McD's Big Mac (just the burger) is up near $6.  But gasoline (national average) is $3.18 today.   

Kern Dog

Quote from: Mike DC on January 24, 2024, 01:49:43 PM. . . . US gas prices are still cheap as hell. 

No, sir. Wrong again.
It was almost at $6.00 per gallon in mid 2022 here in CA. It is still right at $4.00 now, this is for 87 octane.
This isn't the point of this thread but you mentioned it.

MoparMike68

Just look at all that doom and gloom in Mikes post there's one key bullet point
in there that caused all this mess in just three short years and yet it's just inflation and everyone else. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Mike DC

QuoteNo, sir. Wrong again.
It was almost at $6.00 per gallon in mid 2022 here in CA. It is still right at $4.00 now, this is for 87 octane.
This isn't the point of this thread but you mentioned it.

Cali prices -

Those are always high, though.  West coast prices are high due to commercial factors + taxes.  Cali state taxes add around 60 cents per gallon.  Federal taxes add 18 cents.

Cali is a long way from the Texas gulf coast (where the USA has a lot of oil refinery infrastructure).  Cali also doesn't allow more refinery capacity to be built in the state for environmental reasons.  That elevates the shipping costs of their gas a bit more. 

The national average price is in the low $3 range. 

Democrat in the White House -

Yeah, I said it.  Big deal.  I'm making a point that our gas prices are way out of line with popular assumptions right now.  The main issues being the two wars in crucial petro regions.  You'd think that would be enough to run up the prices no matter who was president. 

Kern Dog

Even if gasoline were free, everything else has exploded in price for one specific reason.
I don't trust the people that support that "reason" to also be in control of what I get to drive.

MoparMike68

Then it's safe to say three years ago the national average was in the high 1 dollar range. What changed?  :scratchchin:
Also if these same people continue on it will be way up again after November and
it will be blamed on OPEC! OPEC! OPEC! When the real reason is to drive the cost up
to push EV's. Why? Because clean energy are "their" donors. :yesnod:

MoparMike68

"Mandate" Get ready for total control folks! Remember during Covid give them an inch...
 :flame:

Mike DC

I'm curious how the Cali govt can square their desire to control people on principle (electronic speed governors) vs the loss of revenue from speeding tickets. 

Maybe they could mandate brain implants and then give people tickets for thinking about speeding. 

Kern Dog

Quote from: Mike DC on January 25, 2024, 07:32:54 PMI'm curious how the Cali govt can square their desire to control people on principle (electronic speed governors) vs the loss of revenue from speeding tickets. 

Maybe they could mandate brain implants and then give people tickets for thinking about speeding. 
If it were possible, they would implement it here.
THIS state is prime example of what happens to freedom when ONE party has complete dominance. There is no counterpoint to anything, just a freight train of regulations and restrictions to choke on.
They figure people will just grimace and deal with it because the weather and scenery here is so great. They are finding that those with some money are tired of it and leaving, taking their consumer buying power and taxable income with them.
Just like other overburdened cities, the taxpayers with money leave, the deadbeats move in and the tax rates increase on the rest just to maintain status quo. They chase away the golden geese and saddle the remaining ones with even MORE burden.
This is absolutely in parallel with the EV losses by the automakers being partially subsidized by gasoline car sales.

b5blue

Kern Dog

I didn't choose to move here. I was 3 at the time. I was born back east.
Yeah, I'm still here but on my way out. NOTHING that I have voted for supports the mess this place has become. I am in NO way to blame for any of it.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 25, 2024, 08:21:41 PMTHIS state is prime example of what happens to freedom when ONE party has complete dominance. There is no counterpoint to anything, just a freight train of regulations and restrictions to choke on.
They figure people will just grimace and deal with it because the weather and scenery here is so great. They are finding that those with some money are tired of it and leaving, taking their consumer buying power and taxable income with them.
Just like other overburdened cities, the taxpayers with money leave, the deadbeats move in and the tax rates increase on the rest just to maintain status quo. They chase away the golden geese and saddle the remaining ones with even MORE burden.
This is absolutely in parallel with the EV losses by the automakers being partially subsidized by gasoline car sales.

broken record

noun

A damaged record that repeats part of a recording over and over again
—used figuratively in describing something (such as a statement or experience) that is frequently or tediously repeated

Kern Dog

tan top

not sure how many of you guys watch scotty , this guy sees it & tells it  how it is imo .
 & like us & many of the population ( although not enough people)  sees through the BS  :yesnod:

just watched this on EVs  never knew this  teslas have a conventional 12 volt car battery to start the  electric motor in their  battery  powered car  :-\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCMIqXx5p9k

Charger Stuff 

Kern Dog

If that is Scotty Kilmer, forget it.
Whatever sanity might briefly leak out, most of the time he comes across as a spun out, spastic dork that looks like a complete kook.

tan top

Quote from: Kern Dog on February 06, 2024, 03:28:57 AMIf that is Scotty Kilmer, forget it.
Whatever sanity might briefly leak out, most of the time he comes across as a spun out, spastic dork that looks like a complete kook.

:lol: yeah  he is way out there in his thinking & the way he come across  & gets excitable  :lol: speaks a lot of truth though   :yesnod:

Charger Stuff 

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Kern Dog on February 06, 2024, 03:28:57 AMIf that is Scotty Kilmer, forget it.

And a voice that's like fingernails on a chalkboard.  :down:

Kern Dog

He seems to bash Chrysler products at every chance too.
He has a right to his opinion, I just don't care to hear it.