News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Comparative B-body weights (and initial cost of each)

Started by lloyd3, December 08, 2023, 05:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-440

When I was restoring mine I had the idea that I would at least knock off around 500lbs. After all, I have an all glass front end, lightweight K member and front suspension, rack and pinion and all the other goodies. I was so pleased with myself that I took it to the scales and the official weight was............3700lbs. I guess the roll cage and Dana rear put all that weight back on. 🙄
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

Mike DC

QuoteWhen I was restoring mine I had the idea that I would at least knock off around 500lbs. After all, I have an all glass front end, lightweight K member and front suspension, rack and pinion and all the other goodies. I was so pleased with myself that I took it to the scales and the official weight was............3700lbs. I guess the roll cage and Dana rear put all that weight back on. 🙄

IIRC the axles (8.75 vs Dana 60) without brakes are about 190 versus 240 pounds.  It's only about 50 pounds difference.  The Dana's weight gets so much flak because it's unsprung weight, which goofs the dynamics of the rear suspension.  And heavier axles generally need heavier leaf springs to control them, although in Mopar's case they both used the same stock leafs. 

Rollcages can easily add 150+ pounds by the time you count the odds & ends.  Mounting plates on the floor, swing-out door beam hardware, subframe connectors under the floor, etc. 

Sound deadening/insulation is another one.  You can easily add 100+ pounds to an old car with that. 

Sound systems too.  4+ decent speakers and an amplifier and wiring, that's a few dozen pounds.

Glass front ends do remove weight but not as much as people think.  The hood takes off a legit 30 lbs but most of the other panels have disappointing numbers. 

68-69 front chrome bumpers are surprisingly light.  The bumper brackets & grille assembly carry more wasteful pounds than the exterior panels in the front area.   

Fiberglass fenders save some weight.  But the Charger fender design isn't very friendly to it.  If you just copy the stock 68-69 fender in fiberglass then the inner structure (behind the headlight area) tends to sag from the load.  If the factory had built these cars with fiberglass fenders then they would have designed the fenders differently.  Either stiffened the fiberglass more, or maybe kept the inner fender structure as a separate steel piece.