News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Winter time projects you want to do before the Spring thaw...

Started by Kern Dog, January 04, 2024, 08:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

What is on your list?
I understand that many of you in the snowy climates actually look forward to this time of year to knuckle down and get stuff done. Those of us in milder climates are fortunate to be able to do it all year.
I've read from guys that plan to pull their engines to address some leak or mechanical issue. I flattened a cam late May/Early June of 2022 so I pulled the engine and trans right in the middle of peak car season!

G 1A.jpg

Lucky for me, it held together all through Spring and Summer this year.
This Winter, I had considered a switch to a roller cam to get away from the flat tappet issues but I have other things that are taking my time....

DB 15C.jpg

A buddy needed help with his '68 Plymouth so I'm working on that.
My 2007 Dodge truck is inching towards 400,000 miles so I bought this:

H 1.jpg

Same year 5.7 engine. I had the short block checked out and had the heads rebuilt. I need to reassemble and paint it before swapping it in.
I also bought the factory parts to make it go from this:

Ram A 4 (2).jpg

To this:

SRT 10 D.jpg

I've always liked the look of the SRT 10 trucks.
What are your plans?   

mopar4don

I would like to get all my panel gaps done. Maybe get the motor rebuilt.
I have a looong list!

70 sublime

dad 1 05 01 2024.jpgdad 2 05 01 2024.jpg 

For now I have moved my 70 project back to my house garage for the winter
I have a few things I can do for the car before it comes back
The dash and dash frame are out  and in one piece so I want to go through all the wires when it is easy to work on

I have an air conditioning heater box I should give a tune up to before it goes in the car

If I run out of things I have a better set of front fenders to work on

But my main winter project this year will be to help dad get his 30 Chrysler coupe done
It is at the wire stage and he is getting bogged down on it
With his health and such at 82 years old I feel this will be his last project so the sooner it gets done the more time he will get to enjoy it
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Daytona R/T SE

Kern Dog

Are you giving stuff away? I could be there right away.... :smilielol:

Mopar Nut

Install my Tremec TKX, TF 240 heads and the new top in before the warm weather hits.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Kern Dog

There are a few threads on FBBO about these Tremec swaps in the B body cars. I have one here too.

Mopar Nut

I have been following your Tremec installs that you've done, that's what's got me motivated to start up again.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 06, 2024, 02:57:44 AMAre you giving stuff away? I could be there right away.... :smilielol:

Keep an eye on the "For sale" section here...

:scope: 

There could be tonnage. :scratchchin:

Back N Black

For my Dart change valve cover gaskets and maybe Borgeson steering box. The charger has a slow crank when hot, I have done pretty much everything to solve it but still slow to turn over when hot. My last ditch effort is to change positive battery cable, one gage or 0 gage cable. If that don't work back to stock manifolds. Also just bought a 73 challenger that need everything, I bought someone's unfinished project.

Kern Dog

I know a guy that has a Lithium Ion battery...it weighs 7 lbs and looks the same size as a regular car battery.
Blue '68 Plymouth.
His car absolutely cranks over as fast or faster than anything I've ever seen. Mini starter and 1/0 cables, headers and a 451 mill.

DB 15C.jpg 

timmycharger

1. I have to address the leaky axle seals on my Moser 60, first place I am looking is the vent to make sure it is not clogged, seems strange to have both sides leak at the same time.

2. Need to change out the driver side seat bracket as it is only catching one of the rails. It was fine until I let someone drive the car and the lever is no longer pulling the wire correctly. Considering an adjustable one from a 69.

3. Got to figure out why my classic auto air set up continues to blow white residue/flakes out of the vents. It sat for 4 years until I finally filled it with refrigerant and although it blows cold, I think something is corroded in there.

69hemibeep

I want to finish painting and color sanding my AMX. Then finish getting my daughters Charger far enough along for the custom upholstery install before it gets hot again.

Kern Dog

Quote from: timmycharger on January 08, 2024, 11:39:36 AM1. I have to address the leaky axle seals on my Moser 60, first place I am looking is the vent to make sure it is not clogged, seems strange to have both sides leak at the same time.

Clogged. 

01 face 3.jpeg

That is an interesting possibility that I'd never expect. I had a gear oil leak that seemed strange...each time I checked the level, it was full but I kept getting the wetness around the screw vent/brake T.

timmycharger

I know, just seems strange that both sides started leaking around the same time.  Being a Moser 60 vs. a factory housing, it doesn't have a normal vent on the brake tee, it is a different design.

Kern Dog

What about the rest of you guys?
It sits there....you have the stuff to do it but it just sits there.
You walk by it, knowing that you should just go ahead and dig in and get it done.
What project do you have in the garage that you just can't bring yourself to do?
The body and paint? Reskin the seats? Engine swap? Alcoholics Anonymous? What?

Mopar Nut

Quote from: timmycharger on January 08, 2024, 04:08:45 PMI know, just seems strange that both sides started leaking around the same time.  Being a Moser 60 vs. a factory housing, it doesn't have a normal vent on the brake tee, it is a different design.

That's is different, was the Moser made for a Mopar? My Strange S60 has two vents.

timmycharger

Wow I clearly lost my mind haha, Mine was also a Strange S60, not a Moser, not sure why I got them mixed up. Anyway, where is the other vent? I know of the one on top (see pic below with arrow/circle).

armor64

I have been rebuilding a low cost 1995 yukon 4dr 4x4 for my sister and her family over the last 6 month, junkyard rockers (nobody makes a 4 door rocker apparently),repaint as needed, exhaust, fuel system,interior ect. Its taken over all my car time since June, but, short of a single exhaust leak on the drivers side donut, it is finally ready to gift to them. I'll wait 1 day, then finally put the 68 back in the garage to start my head swap and EFI upgrades.

this summer, at carsisle and such, I got a crazy deal on a set of Edelbrock 60929 heads, Dougs long tube headers,  and decided to go with a Sniper Hyperspark CD/Coil/dizzy to match the sniper EFI thats been great with no timing control so far. PLUS, finally got the Bilstein shocks set that so many rave about, so if all goes well, in a few months ill be backing it out of the garage a new beast. I keep wanting to go bigger brakes (wilwood, baer, ect) but cant remember what size spindles were in the stock style kit from "right stuff" years ago, so that will have to wait LOL. 

Back N Black

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 09, 2024, 02:38:36 AMWhat about the rest of you guys?
It sits there....you have the stuff to do it but it just sits there.
You walk by it, knowing that you should just go ahead and dig in and get it done.
What project do you have in the garage that you just can't bring yourself to do?
The body and paint? Reskin the seats? Engine swap? Alcoholics Anonymous? What?

Motivation is an issue for a lot of people, I have friends that have project for 10 plus years and not completed yet. Some of these project would only need a week to finish.

Kern Dog

I do get that....Motivation.
There are times when I just don't feel the urge to go out to the shop, despite it being in my own backyard and in good weather.

moparguy01

Well, a lot.
Just finished modifying my k frame for oil pan clearance. Now looking for someone to sandblast it so i can paint it.

My 440 is at the machine shop, and once i get it back i will be assembling a 512 stroker, 10.9:1, tf240 heads. Should be a stomper.

Also installing the Strange dana 60, calvert leaf springs, and spring relocation brackets.

Also i am lowering the seat on the floorpan, since it sits too high. The joy of putting a not stock seat in. Lol

Kern Dog

You guys have pump gas there that can support that compression ratio?
Out here is CA, I was running compression that high and could only get 91 octane. I couldn't run past 31 degrees of timing due to detonation.

moparguy01

We have 91 octane. But with aluminum heads ive run 11:1 on pump gas before. It wasnt ideal, but with some timing adjustments i could do it. But its iffy. The fuel injection controls the timing, so i will play with it. If not, ill need thicker head gaskets to try to lose some compression.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: timmycharger on January 09, 2024, 08:59:46 AMWow I clearly lost my mind haha, Mine was also a Strange S60, not a Moser, not sure why I got them mixed up. Anyway, where is the other vent? I know of the one on top (see pic below with arrow/circle).

Here's where the other one should be that's circled.

IMG_6804.jpeg