News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stuttering for emphasis?

Started by b5blue, May 05, 2024, 01:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

Emphasis by repeating a word or phrase. I worked with a guy who under stress would always start with I, I, I or You, you, you. But now that I'm retired and watch way to much TV I see Dr. Phil and Harvey (On TMZ.) do it constantly. I really can't stand ether show as they are so stupid but the stutter thing seems everywhere now.

Kern Dog

Unintentional stuttering is frustrating for the person doing it and is often just accepted by polite people.
We all know that none of us are perfect so we allow some slack when dealing with others.
When a person's actions are faked for emphasis or to unfairly garner sympathy or support, that is bullshit.

01 boooo.jpg

I knew a guy that stuttered when he spoke but he was a friend so nobody hassled him about it. It got far worse when he was pissed off. Imagine trying to cuss out someone and getting stuck on "You motherff  ff  ff  ff  ff ....You mother ff ff  ff ff ... You asshole!"
I read where sometimes when they wore noise cancelling earmuffs, their rate of stutter dropped a significant amount. This indicated that the frequency of the stutter was proportional to their awareness of it. They were self conscious, yet did it more. Strange. Like trying to hold in a laugh at something inappropriate but then losing it and giggling at what could be a very awkward time.

b5blue

In basic training our Sgt. stuttered constantly, every order and sentence was staggered English. This is NOT what I meant as that is a stigmatic effect like Mel Tillis has.