News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Interesting trip to Yr1 this morning.

Started by twilt, May 23, 2006, 10:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcuda

Twilt, we live near you as you know and we use Year One for almost everything (sorta have to on many items).  Many times we have gone there and they have been out.  I have called right before heading that way and then get there and poof they are out of what I just called on.  They have always shipped for free when I have gone in and the item is backordered though, and I usually get the item way before they say I will.  They have always been very nice to deal with in person, though I have heard otherwise from people trying to deal with them from out of state.  We will use them for all of our upcoming Cuda stuff and for the '68.
Thread back on track....

by the way a lot is not spelled allot. ;D

Shelley
Loganville, GA
'72 Cuda
69 Charger 426 Hemi (Jonathan's)
69 Charger 540 Blown Hemi (Jonathan's)
68 Charger (was gonna be DC.com car. Now it will be renamed)

Ghoste

YO has changed dramatically in the last ten years and it may be due to a couple of things.  First, the man who started the company has for all intents and purposes, retired.  He is still on the board of directors or whatever (that is to say, he still holds a title) but Len Anthasiades (spelling?) is no longer the president.  When Len first started, they tried to reproduce many parts themselves and they tried to get others involved with reproducing parts by stocking as much as they reasonably could.
Now, in my opinion, they have resorted to being little more than a middleman catalog service.  By not stocking parts they cut their overhead and then they just release a big catalog and wait for the phone to ring.  Most enthusiasts have clued in to the fact that they can get the parts cheaper and quicker by going to the source.  Legendary for the interior panels or Chrysler for most of the mechanical parts are two good examples.
It is likely also worth noting, that YO have been trying to get into the late model modification market too.  That means less attention paid to restoration as resources are pooled into ground effects and cool neon undercar lighting for 95 Camaros.
If the problem were more people buying their products, everyone would make more products.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Ghoste on June 02, 2006, 08:25:05 AM
YO has changed dramatically in the last ten years and it may be due to a couple of things.  First, the man who started the company has for all intents and purposes, retired.  He is still on the board of directors or whatever (that is to say, he still holds a title) but Len Anthasiades (spelling?) is no longer the president.  When Len first started, they tried to reproduce many parts themselves and they tried to get others involved with reproducing parts by stocking as much as they reasonably could.
Now, in my opinion, they have resorted to being little more than a middleman catalog service.  By not stocking parts they cut their overhead and then they just release a big catalog and wait for the phone to ring.  Most enthusiasts have clued in to the fact that they can get the parts cheaper and quicker by going to the source.  Legendary for the interior panels or Chrysler for most of the mechanical parts are two good examples.
It is likely also worth noting, that YO have been trying to get into the late model modification market too.  That means less attention paid to restoration as resources are pooled into ground effects and cool neon undercar lighting for 95 Camaros.
If the problem were more people buying their products, everyone would make more products.

:iagree:

This is what happens to a lot of companies that are started by enthusiasts but are taken over by your basic profiteer and the gangs of bean counters.    It's all about the profit.    Anyplace bean counters go,  customer dis-satisfaction follows.

I've never had a really bad experience with yr1 and they changed the S&H to match the basic $9.50 that Summit/Jegs do for most everything.      I get the catalog and I order some things out of convenience.     I finally received my forward light harness the other day... I ordered it the beginning of April - but that's more M&H harness' fault than theirs.     

And the late model Camaro catalog stuff is just like anything else...  selling leftover GM stock at a markup  :P
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

chargerkid

Twilt,

I am close to getting some cool things done for the 71-74 Dodge Chargers.  I basically have everything new for screw, bolts, nuts, fasteners for those cars.  I can honestly say that with the two cars I am currently restoring that I don't have to get one thing from Year One.  I haven't had any problems with them in the past.  I think its a great company.  Especially with the 71 R/T that they have. 

I just been so into it that I have all the resources.

I don't know if any of you have seen Baxter's 73 Dodge Charger SE that Muscle Car Restoration completed two years ago.  But I supplied many parts for that car!  Muscle Car Retoration strictly uses Year One, but called me for alot of parts. 

You do have an advantage with Year One being close since its near by.  Shipping can be quite expensive.

Here is some good advice to you guys that want to save money on new parts such as blts, carpet, interiors etc.  Hit the major Mopar Shows.  There are always deals from Laysons, Paddocks, Jacobs, Legendary etc.  It's great to actually see the part, pay for it, and carry it out.  Another adavantge is not having to pay tax on some parts.

Good luck to you all.  Happy Journey to Year One!