News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Repro Tail Panel Mouldings

Started by bill440rt, June 06, 2006, 08:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

I picked up a set of the '69 diecast chrome tail panel "L" mouldings a while ago, well to be more exact I went thru several to try to find ones that fit properly. It seems the left side fits great, but the right side fit terrible. It had a tighter curve to it, & ended up about 3/8 - 1/2" under the deck lid too low. If I adjusted the top part, then the side by the tail light was off about 1 INCH away from the screw hole!
The seller sent me a replacement, but that was the same or worse. I sent it back along with my original moulding & a tracing of the proper contour. He bent the moulding, sent it back to me but now the chrome is cracked.  :icon_smile_angry:

Has anyone else had problems with the fit of these mouldings? I'm ready to send them back again, get my $$ back, & have the originals rechromed.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

B5 Charger

I just had my originals rechromed.  If you are having that much trouble getting them to fit then there isn't much advantage to going with the repop's.   :Twocents:

Troy

Can I ask which manufacturer you got them from?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bill440rt

I got them on eBay, from Firestone Collectibles (Mopar9999). The seller is VERY good, however there is an ongoing problem with fitting the moldings to my car. He is not the manufacturer, obly a distributor. I don't know who is actually making these. Gunslinger??

I am 100% certain it is NOT the car, but the moldings. The originals fit perfect, and the left side repro fits perfect. If it was the car, then the deck lid wouldn't line up, the right 1/4 panel would be off, and the diecast 1/4 panel extension would also have to be bent. The original molding follows these contours perfectly, the SAME on the left side.

Does anyone else have these on their car?????
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Troy

There are two manufacturers at least. I'm meeting with Jason from Gunslinger tomorrow so I'll ask but I hadn't heard anything like this until now. I haven't tried to install them on a car yet so I'm no help there.

Troy

bill440rt

I called Gunslinger this morning to ask, & left a message on voice mail. Hopefully someone will call me back with an answer. The Gunslinger vinyl top moldings are awesome, & fit perfect.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Im fairly sure Gunslinger makes these.   He had them on his table at The MANats.

He also had the grill "C" trim pieces! :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BrianShaughnessy

I have them Bill as you know...   I didn't know you continued to have a problem with them....    my car was there at Etown as you know if you wanted to look at what I got.     Beats me -  My theory was that I thought it was time for bowl of rice at the labor camp.  ??? 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

bill440rt

Thanks, Brian (& Chris!). The seller just emailed me again. He kept a tracing I sent him of my original molding contour. He's going to send me yet another (this will be #4). It's from a different batch, so I'll keep everyone posted. The one I have currently is WAAAAAY off. I'll send up pics when I can.
I highly recommend this seller on eBay (Mopar9999). He has been very patient in all of this (so have I)!

bill440rt

Here are some pics to show you guys the fit. Does anyone else's repro moldings look like this??
The first pic is the original molding, the next two are the repro molding.

Charger Aficionado

Mine needed finessing...  Then they fit fine...  The stud on back broke because I used a tight "speed nut" on it...  Oh well it went on with what was left...

Just 6T9 CHGR

I see your point dude.....they're horrible! :o
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

JimShine

I agree. Did they make a cast from bent pieces? That is way off.

bill440rt

I have no idea where they made the casting from, or if his last batch was defective.
He sent my tracing of the original molding to his manufacturer, maybe there was a problem. When I get the next set of replacements, I'll keep ya'll posted.
I may just have to bite the bullet & get my originals rechromed, we'll see.

69 OUR/TEA

Oh boy!!!!  I bought those also,did not try to fit them yet,do not have my originals anymore.I'll go to my shop and try to fit mine on the car,and reply back as to how they are.

lyn

I purchased the vynal trim moulding and the tail pannel moulding from Gun Slinger and they fit perfect.lyn

69 OUR/TEA

Hey bill440rt,just tried the moldings on my car,the right side fit perfectly,the left side looks like what your right side is doing,so I put the phillips screw in,and held it there with one hand and tweaked the upper part till it lined up with the trunk jamb edge,(did hear , what sounded like some of the chrome cracking while I was doing this),but upon close inspection revealed nothing.Figured if I screw these up,I'll find some originals and have them rechromed.But it seemed to work out.

ChargerBill

Are the repops chromed cast, chromed steel, chromed aluminum or just polished aluminum? If I could be sure I'd get a set that fit right I might be interested in ordering them. I'll wait to see how you do with your first....
Life is a highway...

bill440rt

OK, the next molding just arrived (#4). And, the seller (Mopar9999) hit a home run with this one. It fits like a glove.
I guess the previous batches were bad. He has a tracing of the OEM moldings, so in the future there should be no problem with fit. I HIGHLY recommend the seller, he worked with me every step of the way. The moldings are very nice too, considering they are also relatively inexpensive. Gunslinger is carrying the same ones.
ChargerBill, they are made exactly like original. Diecast metal, chromed, & also painted black where they're supposed to be. Even the part #'s are stamped on the inside.
69 OUR/TEA, I heard the horrifying cracking, too. When I looked close, there were very fine spider-web cracks in the chrome. It was sure to peel down the road, I didn't want to take the chance.

Here are some pics of the new moldings, fit to the car with the upper stainless piece.

ChargerBill

Has anyone mentioned prices yet? I miss that? Gunslinger have them online?... Guess i'll go check them out, they look good... :thumbs:
Life is a highway...

bill440rt

Mopar9999 (Firestone Collectibles) has them on eBay for $119.00, with a Buy It Now. Just go to eBay Motors & do a search. They are very good for the money, IMHO.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

ChargerBill

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on June 11, 2006, 05:19:41 PM
Nice ending Bill!  :cheers:

IMO this thread is the best example of how a vendor can make things right and come out on top. Just the fact that he was more than willing to work with you to make things rights makes him the vendor I will use when I decide to buy. OTHER vendors take notes - this was a class act all the way.
Life is a highway...

charge-it

I wish someone would do the 68 style ones... :icon_smile_sad:
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

NorwayCharger

Quote from: charge-it on June 20, 2006, 09:59:31 PM
I wish someone would do the 68 style ones... :icon_smile_sad:

Laysons :

Trunk Panel Moldings

These are new exact reproductions of various trunk panel mldgs found on many Mopars. We are original materials (Aluminum or stainless depending on application) and are fully detailed and painted. Clips are also included so that they are ready to install. WOW! What a difference our reproduction mldgs, taillight bezels and lenses will make in the backside of your vehicle!

Part #    Description    Price    Qty.    
   MR-42290    1968 Charger Center Rear Pot-Metal replacement tailpanel chrome decorative moulding.
   68 Charger    $26.00       
   RD-68CTM    B-Body: Charger complete set (4) tailpanel mldgs. Not fully completed at this time - coming soon.
   68 Charger    $195.00    

They suppose to be tooled a year ago, maybe someone could make a phone call?    

Laysons restoration
Order Line:
(253) 722-1300
Toll Free:
(877) 930-4088
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

Troy

I know this is old but I'm bringing it back up any way. I just heard from Gunslinger (somehow managed to miss them at the last two shows) and they don't make the tail panel trim - they purchase it from another manufacturer. I was able to confirm that there was a problem with one side not fitting correctly though.

Troy

bill440rt

Right, Troy!
I also spoke with Gunslinger when all this moulding dilemna was going on. From what I understand, Gunslinger does not make them either. They're getting them from Firestone, or at least Firestone's manufacturer. In short, they are the same ones.

Now, if only they'd repro the diecast tail light trim for '69s!! One can only hope!  :angel:

Blusmbl

Quote from: NorwayCharger on June 28, 2006, 01:19:02 PM
[/color]

Anybody recieved a set?  I know Laysons doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation...
Caintmakit Racing: Craptastic!
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram
-looking for another '68-'69 Charger

NorwayCharger

Quote from: Blusmbl on July 20, 2006, 07:55:24 PM
Quote from: NorwayCharger on June 28, 2006, 01:19:02 PM
[/color]

Anybody recieved a set?  I know Laysons doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation...

I did call them they said they will call me up, or send me a mail to inform me on the subject.....Nothing yet :flame: 
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

lilwendal

laysons does already have the smaller pieces that go below each 68 tail light. I ordered aset last week and I'll let you guys know how they look.  The tail panel "c"s are still in production and they dont expect to see them till at least 6 months.  I  did put myself on there advise list when they finally procure them. Only problem is I can't wait 6 months. So off to the chromers my old set goes.

lilwendal

The set of tail light fillers arrivd today from Laysons.  Very nice. Evenhas the mopar penstarinside with the original PN. They seem heavier than original. No problem with fit and for 50.00 for both a deal in my opinion.  Chromers wanted more than that to redo my originals.Hers some pics.