News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Replacing an entire roof...

Started by 69Charger_440, June 23, 2006, 12:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69Charger_440

1.) What would be a reasonable price for a body shop to charge someone to replace the entire roof? In your opinion of course. 

2.) Would it be better to cut at the factory seams or as far down as possible?  My roof is completely shot from the very top.  The front pillars seem to be fine as is the bottom of the sail panels.  Just looking for opinions here get a better idea of what I would be looking at. 

Thanks for any help!

Fernando

miamivice

Quote from: 69Charger_440 on June 23, 2006, 12:11:21 PM
1.) What would be a reasonable price for a body shop to charge someone to replace the entire roof? In your opinion of course. 

well, i was quoted about 2,500 - 3,500 bucks by a reputible shop which does mopar restorations for doing a complete roof replacement on a 2nd gen charger.   hope that helps...

69Charger_440

Holy cow, I was just quoted $975 the other day!!  This is in Texas, where you at?

Fernando

Blown70

Quote from: miamivice on June 24, 2006, 01:30:49 AM
Quote from: 69Charger_440 on June 23, 2006, 12:11:21 PM

well, i was quoted about 2,500 - 3,500 bucks by a reputible shop which does mopar restorations for doing a complete roof replacement on a 2nd gen charger.   hope that helps...

WTF, for that learn ot weld and drill out the spot welds.... JESUS...... :o

Drop Top

I have a 70 Challenger in my shop that we are replacing the roof right now. We are being paid by another shop to do the car. The owner has no idea we are doing the roof of the car. We have to MAKE the entire roof. We where not able to find another one. I am replaceing just the outside skin. But remember I am MAKEING the panels. After I'm done it goes back to the other body shop to be finished. I am chargeing $2500 out the door. We are about half way finished. The hours that I have invested and cost of materials it looks like I'll be right around what I said it would be. I charge $45 per hr. I have no idea what the other shop is chargeing to do the work. But you can bet they are charging the guy at least $3000 for my work. Maybe more. Thats why I always tell you guys to shop around and check out these shops before hand.

That all said. If you already have a good roof and all that is being done is takeing off and welding on the other. Your probley paying a bit too much. It all depends on what that shop gets per hr. Remember I'm making new panels from scratch. So it takes a bit longer. By the way I am replaceing from the lead seams up. Also the rear panel below the rear window will need to be replaced. The other body shop will be doing that with an aftermarket piece. If all he is doing is changing out the roof and not haveing to make any panels. I would say $1000 to $1500 at the most. Even if his rate is $75 per hr. He should be makeing good money.

Blown70

Quote from: Drop Top on June 24, 2006, 10:39:11 AM
I have a 70 Challenger in my shop that we are replacing the roof right now. We are being paid by another shop to do the car. The owner has no idea we are doing the roof of the car. We have to MAKE the entire roof. We where not able to find another one. I am replaceing just the outside skin. But remember I am MAKEING the panels. After I'm done it goes back to the other body shop to be finished. I am chargeing $2500 out the door. We are about half way finished. The hours that I have invested and cost of materials it looks like I'll be right around what I said it would be. I charge $45 per hr. I have no idea what the other shop is chargeing to do the work. But you can bet they are charging the guy at least $3000 for my work. Maybe more. Thats why I always tell you guys to shop around and check out these shops before hand.

That all said. If you already have a good roof and all that is being done is takeing off and welding on the other. Your probley paying a bit too much. It all depends on what that shop gets per hr. Remember I'm making new panels from scratch. So it takes a bit longer. By the way I am replaceing from the lead seams up. Also the rear panel below the rear window will need to be replaced. The other body shop will be doing that with an aftermarket piece. If all he is doing is changing out the roof and not haveing to make any panels. I would say $1000 to $1500 at the most. Even if his rate is $75 per hr. He should be makeing good money.

HMMM you should have called I have this one....

Drop Top

Well thats figers. Thats the story of my life. Find one when the jobs half done. Too late now. Owell

69Charger_440

I don't feel so bad now knowing that I have been quoted as low as $500 and as high as $1,500.  By the way, I do have an entire roof panel to replace the damaged one.  '

Thanks for you input though!!

Fernando

THE CHARGER PUNK

i say leave it off and build it as a convertible for cheaper ;D-MATT

69Charger_440

Hahaha!  I once saw a photo of a Charger that was a convertible, and I did not like it for some reason.  Just not my thing.