News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

block sanding

Started by original72, July 03, 2006, 02:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

original72

i know why you should do it but i dont know what tools to use.... do you use a piece of wood or metal that is straight and wrap it in sand paper and go to town??? or are there special tools.... figured i would ask before trying and screwing something up... thanks in advance for the replies...

Bill

Rack

Durablock sanders.

http://www.tooldesk.com/products/productDetail.aspx+id+1666

Not the only option, but a lot more reliable then a block of wood or metal, IMO.

Drop Top

There are so many blocks to choose from. Depending on what your going to do with them depends on what kind you need. I have a comleate asortment of them in many sizes and shapes. Some for plastic filler down to final blocking. But the first block I ever used was a Paint Stick. That worked so well that I made some out of carbon fiber. That stick is what I use to block my filler primer. I block each car at least 3 times useing that stick. (Each time priming between each blockingand useing a diferant grade of paper.) I know other people that us Balsa Wood to make there own blocks. With that you can make any size or shape that you need. As for doing body work with a block There are special long blocks and short blocks to work with plastic filler. Remember, when blocking, to work in an X patern with it. The Durablock sanders have there place also. I have just about everyone they make. You have to watch out useing them. They flex a little to easy for my likeing.

Todd Wilson

On part of my 71 we used one of those sponge covered tubes for a paint roller.   Wrapped the sand paper around it and went to work. The curve worked perfectly and was easy to hold onto.   

How bad do your fingers hurt after sanding with a paint stick, Drop?    :icon_smile_big:

Todd

dodgecharger-fan

He told me this one before: Don't use your fingers. Use the palm of your hand.

Drop Top

After all these years they still bleed every once in awile. But for the most part my fingers are used to it. When your bucket of water looks like a seen out of Jaws. You better check to see if you have any finger tips left.  ??? One thing for sure. Back when I used to farm for a living. My hands where always rough and the wife always complained. Now at least she dosen't complain about rough hands anymore.  ;)  But she's still a woman. So she just finds something else to complain about.  :o  ;D