News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel Filter question

Started by JimShine, June 23, 2006, 05:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimShine

I have been having some issues lately that appear to be vapor lock. I have been going over all the usual items and noticed that as my car runs, the fuel filter only fills up maybe two thrids of the way up and has a large air bubble floating in there. I do not remember previous filters looking like this. What could the issue be? I have a year old fuel pump in the car, new tank and sending unit and replaced fuel line. Maybe it is a bad filter? It is one of those Fram's and is larger in diameter than the last one I had (small glass tube with replaceable filter inserts).

I am also wondering if the stalling after some take-offs is maybe the large air bubble shifting back and putting air into the carb rather than fuel. Is this large of an airpocket normal?

Plumcrazy

I haven't used that style of filter for ages but I do remember them always looking like that.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Ghoste

Same here.  In fact, sometimes mine have drained back to being almost completely empty.

firefighter3931

I'll agree with Plum and Ghoste....the airspace inside is normal. Jim make sure the fuel lines/filter are not coming into contact with any heat sources such as heater hoses, rad hoses or the block. A thick carb base gasket also helps to keep conductive heat away from the carburator. The cooler you keep the carb....the better.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

JimShine

Thanks! I will look it over again. I didn't see anything touching, but the metal l line that comes up into the engine bay does seem close to my headers. Not touching, but maybe an inch ior so away. Could that be it?

This one empties as well. Usually after sitting several days.

Ghoste

Is there more room anywhere than an inch from the headers?  That sounds not too bad to me Jim.  I wrapped my fuel line in a fuel line insulation foil in the places where it nearly touches the block.  If my car sits for more than a few days, it's always been part of my start up routine to let it turn a few times before pumping just to let it draw some fuel up from the back.  I think these modern oxygenated fuels flash off a little easier too.  My car seems to start easier and quicker with a little race gas in the tank.

JimShine

I see no areas of direct contact. But when the problem rears its head, it is on rather hot days and when the engine gets really hot (after driving it maybe 45 minutes to an hour). We put a slightly taller gasket in last week and the problem cropped up again. Maybe I need to go thicker. During thes spring time and its in the 60's the car runs flawlessly. Once you start getting to the 75-85 area the problem comes back as I said, after the engine gets hot.

Plumcrazy

Quote from: JimShine on June 24, 2006, 10:59:43 AM
I see no areas of direct contact. But when the problem rears its head, it is on rather hot days and when the engine gets really hot (after driving it maybe 45 minutes to an hour). We put a slightly taller gasket in last week and the problem cropped up again. Maybe I need to go thicker. During thes spring time and its in the 60's the car runs flawlessly. Once you start getting to the 75-85 area the problem comes back as I said, after the engine gets hot.

Unfortunately todays fuel is intended for fuel injected vehicles.  >:(

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

JimShine

Is there anything I can add to it to help smooth that out? Or should I be looking to cool my engine down?

dodge freak

I do agree this gas today is not as good to burn but there are great spark box's available today. Not sure if it solve your problem but it sure would not hurt to have more spark then you need. I am using a MSD 7al box with the 7251 coil , it is great, better than that 6al box they sell. I have hear that a electric pump helps too. 1 inch seems too close to me, those headers get very hot. Move that fuel line. Or get a sleeve , like for plug wires for it. Something is getting to hot, cause its ok when its 60 degrees. They even have cool cans that chill the gas, but you have to put ice in it. With the gas cool and a strong spark your motor should start and run just fine. Its 2006-you need the best spark box you can afford, not something that was made to fire gas that was around 30 years ago. If these new cars ran your Mopar spark box they would have problems too. Mopar knows it, cause they let MSD put Mopar name on their 7al box a year or 2 ago. Some guy on E-bay still have some but don't know how they are, I got mine from Summitt. I would like add that these new cars-even ones that are 15 years old use one coil to fire 1 or 2 plugs. Here we try to fire all 8 with one coil, this is why you need to go all out and get something that might seem like to much. I seen guys run the MSD 8 box on the street everyday. MSD says its fine with the right coil.

JimShine

Thanks! I will try the coil deal. I have one of those Accel Super coils that came with a car I bought, but never has been used. Would that be worth trying?

dodge freak

Those were good coils, I did add to my answer, not sure. I think your gas is boiling-vapors don't pump. The electric goes by the tank, the stock one goes by the motor-if the fuel is boiling before it gets to the pump no coil will help. Some people use both pumps, a electric and stock. You could try to wrap your header pipe that goes by your gas line. header wrap is hard on the pipe but just a short way should be ok. I wrap mine that goes by the steering box so the seals don't go bad.

JimShine

Thanks! I will try wrapping it and seeing if I notice a difference. I may install that Accel as well since I have it anyway.