News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bored .30 440

Started by 69Charger_440, June 23, 2006, 12:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69Charger_440

If a 440 has been bored at .30, is there still room to play with in the future or is it at its end?  It's a '69 block, I believe.

Fernando

TylerCharger69

I've heard of people going .060 over with no trouble.   Then I've heard of others  say they developed overheating problems  boring that large.   That would have to be your decision to make.

69Charger_440

Forgive my naiveness on this subject, as I am still learning   :-[, but once you are at .60, is the engine still usable or what could you do, if anything, to keep it for future use?   ???

Fernando

firefighter3931

Usually going .060 on a stock block is no problem. On a performance type build it doesn't hurt to have the block sonic checked to see what's there in terms of cylinder wall thickness. A block that has gone .060 over can still be saved but it's expensive. It involves sleeving all the bores but then you'll have a perfectly good block to start over with. If it's a numbers matching engine it might be worth the cost and effort assuming you want to keep the whole package together.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69Charger_440

Thanks for your advice, guys. 

Fernando

TylerCharger69

.060  is the limit, I would say.   As far as salvaging the block after that,  it isn't a problem because you can always re-sleeve.   In fact, a lot of people who are anal retentive about factory specs re-sleeve their blocks in restorations, bringing them back to standard factory size.   I remember having to price a set of Hemi spark plug wires for a customer  and they were over $500.00  for the correct date coded ones.  That's just an example of the extreme people go to who go to car shows for high point scoring cars as far as factory correctness is concerned.

Wakko

My 440 is .030 over and it was great...never any overheating problems.  Next step would be .040 and then .060, but I wouldn't try anything over that, as already stated.  Do they even MAKE pistons over .060?
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Chryco Psycho

have the block sonic tested
I have seen blocks that were too thin when they left the factory with a stock bore & I have seen blocks that could have been bored .100 & still had twice as much as the minimum wall thickness left 

Wakko

Wow...that's scary.  What's the reason for such inconsistent castings?
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

RD

Quote from: Wakko on June 24, 2006, 10:48:10 PM
Do they even MAKE pistons over .060?

they do, but they are made mainly for the siamese blocks
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

skibuff

I have been told, but I can not verify, that the "newer blocks" made from 1976 through 1978 can safely be bored to .060 over without heating problems.  The blocks before that apparently have less tolerance to boring and may have heating issues if bored to .060.  However, my 440 has been bored .030 over and has no problems whatsoever.

Skibuff