News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Complete Suspension & Steering Rebuild

Started by Shakey, June 27, 2006, 07:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar Crazy

Ok, Thanks CP,I thought they were the same.
I bought the Super front end kit from PST. It didn't come with replacement sleeves.
Any idea where I can get them???
Do it Once and Do it Right !!!

Chryco Psycho

Moog makes a strut bushing kit with sleeves & your may still be rusted in place if you never removed the back washer

Mopar Crazy

CP, I had all the front end parts, including the lower control arm assy.  powder coated. The sleeve is def off.  If I can't buy just the sleeve, I guess I'll end up with an extra set of bushings.....
Thanks for getting back.....
Do it Once and Do it Right !!!

Shakey

I was looking at the Federal Mogul web site and saw that they offer a few different kits.  My strut rod bushing is still in place so I just purchased "Strut Rod Bushing or Kit" - MOOG # K7016A - 1 kit per car.  See the first photo.

As Chryco had said, MOOG also offers another "Strut Rod Bushing or Kit - Improved Design" - MOOG # K7026 - 1 kit per car.  See the second photo, you'll see that it looks as though there are sleeve in each of the bushings - not 100% sure though.   :shruggy:

On the same page, TRW (also part of Federal Mogul) offers another kit - "Strut Rod bushing or Kit" - TRW # HB1151K - 2 kits per car.  See the third photo.  It looks as though the sleeve is included.

Hopefully this helps.

Shakey

Quote from: Wakko on August 21, 2006, 01:00:54 AM
Where did you end up getting your bushings and steering parts from?  I'm about ready to go.

I finally got the rest of the items I need to install the suspension, but have yet to install it.  We have decided to do the undercoatinig first and install the suspension afterwards.

I purchased the rest of the items from CarQuest this past Friday with the exception of the sway bar bushings which I picked up at Layson's last week.  I was pleased to see that they offered rubber sway bar bushings as I am not keen on the polygraphite.

Now - with regards to the inner & outter tie rod ends and the adjusting sleeves - I purchased a set that has threads that are 11/16" rather than the original 9/16".  I was told that this would give a slightly more firm feel to the steering.  Exactly how much of a difference, I don't know.  The part numbers you see on the boxes in the photos relate to that of a 1974 Newport (C-Body).  I am using the stock idler arm that came with my '69 Charger.

Below are some photos of the items I bought.

resq302

Shakey,

The correct end links for the sway bar are available through Bill Alphin.  The originals were basically a double stud on the ends, not one giant nut and bolt.  Seems like you are doing an exact concours resto so I wanted to make sure you used the correct parts :thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Shakey

Quote from: resq302 on August 28, 2006, 08:07:08 AM
Shakey,

The correct end links for the sway bar are available through Bill Alphin.  The originals were basically a double stud on the ends, not one giant nut and bolt.  Seems like you are doing an exact concours resto so I wanted to make sure you used the correct parts :thumbs:

I knew Bill had those but I chose the more economical route as the part will perform the same function as the other.  At least I sure hope!

You are correct, I am aiming for a proper restoration however my car is not being built to be judged in any show.  I like the thought of having everything correct but I have to be realistic at one point.  There are many other items that need to be purchased and the sway bar link can be swapped out at a later date if so desired.

Thanks for thinkin' of me!

HeavyFuel

Do those tie rod end from Carquest come with the dust covers?

Shakey

Shakey

A couple more items to complete the front suspension rebuild.  A pair of new Monroe shocks painted with Eastwood's Underhood Black, a pair of Wagner 11" brake rotors for a '76 Dodge Dart and new inner and outer bearings and seals to go with the rotors.

It seems that 69 OUR/TEA and I are on the same schedule.  Take a look at his thread and you'll see that he put a lot of time and effort in this aspect of the project also.   :yesnod: 

Shakey

Now that everything has been rounded up, time to start installing all of these items.  I haven't tightened everythinig up as of yet as there are a few more i's to dot and t's to cross.

The calipers are on there just as a test fit as I need to get some brake hoses.

Thanks to all that help point me in the right direction.

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

resq302

Coming a long really nice.  Keep up the excellent work.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Shakey

Quote from: PocketThunder on October 05, 2006, 12:44:22 PM
where did you get your brake lines from?  inlinetube.com?

Yes I did.

There are some photos of them in this link.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,11238.0.html

However, since I used the '76 Dart spindles and '88 Diplomat slider calipers, the front lines from the calipers will not work.  I am in the process of rounding a pair up.

Shakey

The ongoing suspension rebuild continues.

Installed the brakes this past weekend.  All that is needed to complete this portion of the project are the front brake lines and the sway bar.

Gettin' there....

resq302

Brian

Shakey

Finally finished the front suspension rebuild!

The sway bar went on this weekend and the car was put back on the ground for the first time in 14 months.

We worked a bit on the alignment, the best we could do with a tape measure until the car is ready to be sent out, adjusted the ride height and everything seems to look ok.  I still haven't put any brake hoses on yet, that can wait for a few more weeks.

All in all I am pleased with this portion of the project.

Here are a few pics.

tan top

nice job (Shakey)   looking  :scope: real good   :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

resq302

Wow Mike.  That is impressive.  And those correct end link studs look good too ;D.  You going to put all the markings on it like I have?  Or is it just me that has that sickness for detail?
Brian

Back N Black

Hey Shakey, looks good. Dosen't look like there's much left to get her rolling down the highway.

Shakey

Thanks fellas!  It will quite some time before it's ready for the road.   :'(

kneedragger

Nice car and good work. Are you sticking with the steel wheels? I've always been a big fan of the painted steel wheels.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Dodge Ram
2006 Yamaha R1- Race Bike
2004 Honda CRF50-Pit bike

Steve P.

Mike, your baby is looking great. You are realllly doing one hell of a job and impressing the hell out of me.. Keep it tight and now that you're getting close, don't cut any corners...

:cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

mopar1