News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Complete Suspension & Steering Rebuild

Started by Shakey, June 27, 2006, 07:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

Thanks again fellas!  The compliments are appreciated and are great motivators.   :cheers:

I do plan on keeping the steelies and would like to have a set of Magnum 500's also.  The car is a long ways a way from seeing the road but I'll keep you guys updated with the progress.

Next on the list - pull the windshield, pull the dash, install vinyl top and headliner and ........

I won't be cutting corners, much to my Wife's dismay.   :no:

resq302

You'll be much happier with the results (wife probably will not be) but the end result will look fantastic. 
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Silver R/T

I'd get stainless steel flex brake lines
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Chatt69chgr

I will be purchasing MOOG steering components soon including the tie rod ends and tie rod adjuster sleeves for my 69 Charger project.  I have read about using the larger tie rod ajusting sleeves.  I think the standard charger sleeves are 9/16 and the larger C-body sleeves are 11/16.  I see where the standard MOOG part numbers for the inner, outer, and sleeve for the Charger are ES 319 L, ES 319 R, and ES 319 S respectively (this would be the 9/16 size).  I looked up the same three parts for a 74 Newport and they were listed as ES 355 RL, ES 352 R, and ES 440 S (this would be the 11/16 size).  Has anyone actually purchased and installed the c-body parts on a 69 Charger successfully?  I would note that although the adjusting sleeves are about the same price for both sizes (roughly $15), the tie rod ends listed for the Charger are twice as expensive as the ones listed for the Newport (roughly $40 versus $20).  Thats a huge difference in price and if the C-body pieces fit and are stronger, it seems like someone would be crazy to buy the listed Charger part?  I bet someone on the forum will know all about this.  Thanks.

Shakey

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on January 05, 2007, 09:57:25 PM
I will be purchasing MOOG steering components soon including the tie rod ends and tie rod adjuster sleeves for my 69 Charger project.  I have read about using the larger tie rod ajusting sleeves.  I think the standard charger sleeves are 9/16 and the larger C-body sleeves are 11/16.  I see where the standard MOOG part numbers for the inner, outer, and sleeve for the Charger are ES 319 L, ES 319 R, and ES 319 S respectively (this would be the 9/16 size).  I looked up the same three parts for a 74 Newport and they were listed as ES 355 RL, ES 352 R, and ES 440 S (this would be the 11/16 size).  Has anyone actually purchased and installed the c-body parts on a 69 Charger successfully?  I would note that although the adjusting sleeves are about the same price for both sizes (roughly $15), the tie rod ends listed for the Charger are twice as expensive as the ones listed for the Newport (roughly $40 versus $20).  Thats a huge difference in price and if the C-body pieces fit and are stronger, it seems like someone would be crazy to buy the listed Charger part?  I bet someone on the forum will know all about this.  Thanks.

It was discussed earlier in this thread and I used them.

Chatt69chgr

Thanks Shakey.  I will order the c-body tie rod ends and adjuster sleeves.

pb24

Hey Shakey I know this thread is a little old but your front end rebuild looks great. I was wondering if it's not too much trouble could you outline a step by step instructions on how you did your rebuild, it doesn't have to be to detailed just the basics.

Also if you had to do it all over again would you do anything different?

Afflyer

Shakey, I'd like to second the motion that PB24 asked of you.  Please give me all the details too, as I'm going to have to do some work on my Charger's front end- I ended up cracking/bending one of the two sway bar mounts late last week and I need to know where to begin.  All of my front end parts are 38 years old and definitely show it.

Thank you, and your Charger (and under the front end) look absolutely beautiful!

Bradley
Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

Afflyer

Shakey et all,

I've just purchased these MOOG front suspension items from Rock Auto LLC for $309.92;

ES 319 S     tie rod sleeves (2)
ES 352R      inner tie rods
K8266         sway bar bushing link
K7016A       strut rod kit
K791           lower control arm bushings (2)
K408           upper control arm bushings
K772           upper ball joints (2)
K781           lower right ball joint
K783           lower left ball joint
K7041         idler arm
31053         control arm bumpers (2)

I'll get a $60 rebate from Federal Mogul in the mail too, which brings the price down even further!  REEEEESULT!

Earlier in the week, I ordered a new front anti-sway bar kit from AADCO suspension down in southern Florida for $120.00!  That should arrive either tomorrow or Tuesday.

Now, I must say, looking at how long it took you to complete this project, not to mention all of the difficulties you ran into- I've got leanings towards finding a good shop and having all  of this stuff professionally installed to save me the pain and frustration. 

I figure with all the money I've saved, I can have a professional grease monkey take my front end apart and put all this good stuff in, and besides- a project like this would very likely EXCEED my limitations!  :-\

Bradley  :eek2:
Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

HeavyFuel

Shakey, those your '69 spindle dust shields, or are they the ones for the '76 dart spindles you used for the disk brake re-do?

I am trying to make a decision on whether to pick up a MP brake kit, or to scrounge around for everything.  It is so tempting just to get the kit, but I know I can get by cheaper by putting the "kit" together myself.

Shakey

Quote from: HeavyFuel on September 24, 2007, 03:59:17 PM
Shakey, those your '69 spindle dust shields, or are they the ones for the '76 dart spindles you used for the disk brake re-do?

I am trying to make a decision on whether to pick up a MP brake kit, or to scrounge around for everything.  It is so tempting just to get the kit, but I know I can get by cheaper by putting the "kit" together myself.

Just seeing this now after how long - sorry 'bout that.

The dust shields I used were from a '76 Dart.  I cleaned them up a bit and painted them.