News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Got my heads off (pics). Shave heads before reinstall? Anything else?

Started by Wakko, June 29, 2006, 07:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

Ian, here's an update from Gardner over at the 70 charger registry. He installed the k54 in a bone stock late model (7.8:1 compression) 440 with excellent results. Here's a copy of his latest report of the car's performance:

"Hi all,

I have been driving the Bee for about a week now. I am impressed with the engine so far. The car runs great. The new engine seems to run cooler than the old one, which is nice. Despite the new extension pipe gaskets: The car still has a slight exhaust leak, I believe the flanges are bent. I am going to have a local shop weld in new flanges after Carlisle.

So; the build is complete! Thank you again Ron for all of your technical direction!

I am looking forward to taking the Bee to Carlisle. We will be arriving at the Quality Inn mid-afternoon on Thursday (if everything goes according to plan).

The '70 Super Bee we have been discussing is white with a black cigar band stripe and a go-wing. Looking forward to seeing everyone! "

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Steve P.

Come on Wakko.. Now I know you're full of shiP. I know you're a cop and everyone know cops ALLLLLLWAYS WHERE THEIR SEATBELTS!!!   :devil:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Quote from: Steve P. on July 02, 2006, 11:20:50 PM
Come on Wakko.. Now I know you're full of shiP. I know you're a cop and everyone know cops ALLLLLLWAYS WHERE THEIR SEATBELTS!!!   :devil:

What a troublemaker !   ;D

Ian, make sure to keep your eyes open for a black 65 Coronet and pull him over !  :devil:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

dodge freak

Oh no they don't. I knew a cop-he was a jerk, nobody like him-20 years ago. He used to always have a helmet on and never used his seat belt. He claimed he totaled 9 police cars and was always back in action in  one or two days. He was mean too, all of my friends and me too got at least one ticket from him, one guy had his car towed cause the cop thought it was unsafe. I moved to a different town, what happen to him I don't know. Can't remember his name, but I still can see him sitting in his car with his helmet on.

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Wakko

I'd LOVE to see some clown driving a unit with a helmet!!

It's amazing how many guys I Work with refuse to wear seatbelts.   They don't fit over gunbelts very well and it's hard to buckle them under a holster, but so what?  Guy broke a femur last year getting into a wreck during a lights/sirens run and eating the dashboard.  When I got my '05 I refused to turn off the seatbelt reminder, so I ALWAYS wear it.   It's weird getting into the Charger and not having belts, but that will be fixed with a package tray four point cage with harnesses.  It's on the list...a little higher than it used to be since the curb incident.  ;)
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Chryco Psycho

shaving the heads will not gain any significant amount of compression , changing to closed chamber heads will though

Brightyellow69rtse

Ron, Neil i had mine 452's chopped .050"  and a 3 angle valve job a couple years back and had the intake milled. since its all apart anyway wouldnt it be worth the small cost involved and use some rocker shim?...........Mike

dodge freak

firefighter3931

Quote from: BRIGHTYELLOW69RTSE on July 05, 2006, 05:12:33 PM
Ron, Neil i had mine 452's chopped .050"  and a 3 angle valve job a couple years back and had the intake milled. since its all apart anyway wouldnt it be worth the small cost involved and use some rocker shim?...........Mike

Mike, your slugs were "only" .100 in the hole if i remember correctly....doing the head shave was worthwhile in that case.  ;)

Wakko's slugs are ~.150 below deck so milling the heads .050 won't make a big difference in the overall compression ratio scheme of things. Useing the smaller cam to build cylinder pressure creates the path of least resistance to tweaking this combo. The bigger cubed 440 makes lots of torque (compared to the short stroke 400) and with 3.23 gears....this is the best course of action w/o getting into big engine mods (head milling or piston swaps etc...)  :Twocents:

Ron