News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much for a shop to paint a hood?

Started by AKcharger, December 11, 2015, 10:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

I was going to drop this off at a paint shop to get shot base/clear. What kind of prices can I expect?
- Wipe down and shoot, no prep work
- Materials and labor

I tried to do this last winter and buggered it up, I'll pass this time

hemi-hampton

I think you could go to 10 different body shops & get 10 different estimates probably ranging from $250 to $1,000 :shruggy: Is that a burnt orange FK5 70 Charger in background  :scratchchin: LEON.

birdsandbees

Stop looking through the peep hole Leon!
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

AKcharger

Wow that much variation huh??

Sure is :-)

Mike DC

Good luck getting a price that does not include any prep-work, no matter how perfect you have it. 

ws23rt

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 12, 2015, 06:53:40 PM

Good luck getting a price that does not include any prep-work, no matter how perfect you have it. 

I agree.   A good shop lives largely on their reputation.  If they don't have control of the paint foundation they can't control the outcome.

Dino

Some shops will shoot over what you have for cheap, try Maaco or something.  Just keep an eye on what the painter turns out before you ask him to paint yours.

Reputable shops will insist they take it down to bare metal.  I never did anything else when I worked in a shop and my name was tied to the project.  You never know what's under the current paint and just can't take the risk.  My sooper dooper paint job means exactly squat if the stuff underneath starts cracking or bubbling.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

AKcharger

Ah! I see what you guys mean...yup the reputation thing makes sense. Macco might actually be the place to go  :scratchchin:

AKcharger

Macco said $250 so I'll drop it off there...we'll see how they do   :popcrn:

hemi-hampton

Most Maaco jobs are single stage enamel (synthetic) because it's cheap.  Make sure you specify you want it painted base coat clear coat. LEON.

AKcharger

They said base clear Dupont (well the company that bought DuPont) which is what's on there now.

hemi-hampton

Let us know how it comes out. Post a pic when it's done. LEON.