News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Alaska Shots

Started by LahTera, August 17, 2005, 09:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LahTera

Thought you might like to visit some Alaskan scenery.

Mt. Susitna (Sleeping Lady) behind Fire Island:

Across Cook Inlet from Potter's Marsh:

Going down the Seward Hwy south of Anchorage:

Near Indian, Alaska:

Fall, 2004:

Fall traffic on Seward Hwy:

Mountains to the left, ocean (Cook Inlet) to the right:

Potter's Marsh:

Frozen waterfalls at our "cove":

Anchorage, viewed from the west:

I think that's enough for this round, eh?

LahTera

LahTera

Our special waterfall cove again, all frozen:

Shining Through:

Sleeping Lady (Mt. Susitna) 11/05/04:

Water is warmer than the air:

Pioneer Peak (in Matanuska Valley):

Seward Hwy, heading south just out of Anchorage:

Hatcher's Pass, taken by Jane White ©:

Hatcher's Pass, Jane White ©:

LahTera

bluesfool

Great shots LahTera; I would love to be in scenic country like that! Just to reply in kind, here's a shot of my local scenery  ::) unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the nuclear power plant nearby or I could post those...lol.

LahTera

Anchorage from the north:

Barges area for oil transport:

Oil cranes:

Anchorage:

Mt. McKinley aka Mt. Denali, largest mountain in North America, as seen from Arctic Valley Road east of Anchorage (250 miles away!):

Sleeping Lady at her best:

King Mountain, about 100 miles north of Anchorage, just southwest of Matanuska Glacier:

Seward Highway panorama:

LahTera

LahTera

Sweet car, Bluesfool!  Good to see you're still around, too!

And I don't get to see old bridges like that up here.

LahTera

LahTera

Volcano -- don't know which one, but it's in SE Alaska:

Near Girdwood, Alaska, about 30 miles south of Anchorage along the inlet:

A rough day:

At low tides, the mud flats become visible.  NEVER WALK ON THEM!  YOU WILL DIE!  It's worse than quicksand, in that you can be ripped in half before you'll be pulled out:

Bore tides:

Pioneer Peak:

Okay, next one will be all about wildlife.  Then I'll be done boring you.   ;D

LahTera

LahTera

Neighborhood moose, 03/08/02:

Eagle -- he's hard to see, but he's at the treetop in the next couple photos:

Baby Dahl:

Baby moose:

Beluga whale, photo by Wiley Denson © of Homer, Alaska:

Seals!   Photo by Wiley Denson ©:

A lotta' dahl:

Haha!   I was wondering when I'd get to this one.   This is the ram my girlfriend and I were snapping photos of when I was pulled over by a state trooper, as told in another thread around here.    ;)

LahTera

Brave dahl, munching right off the roadside at Mile 107:

More babies:

Not very good photos, but you can see how they're climbing:

You can see why dahl are so easy to capture in photography:

This is my first shot of an eagle -- he's in the tree to the left.

This one's in flight:

I think this is as close as I'll ever get:

Eagle in her nest along the Palmer Highway:

Potter's Marsh prancing moose:

Owl in a snowstorm, one of my very first photos with a digital camera:

Beluga whale's tail -- very difficult to capture those buggers in time after they clear the water:

Photo by Wiley Denson ©.  Caribou own the road:

There's that moose again:

And that be that.

LahTera

Silver R/T

what a scenery, ill have to save these just to look at them and relax later on. is living in alaska expensive? :)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

2fast4u

:'(   I'm sorry....I thought we were going to talk about what was on the drink menu at the local bar!!

JK    Very awesome pics LahTera!   wish I were there!!
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

2fast4u

Sad to say....But the eagle shot that you show with the caption saying that is close as you'll get!

We have a Bald Eagle in our Zoo in a small cage('bout the size of a one car garage but two stories tall) and you can stand about 5 feet away from this Amazing animal.  I must say....it is my most favorite part of the zoo....and at the same time the most sad!!
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

ying

thats not a whale its nessie!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o
1968 Charger R/T
440 auto
Purple w/silver stripes
3:91
slotted mags

4402tuff4u

Wow! That's pretty country. The only thing tall and big around here are buildings and taxes!  :(
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

LahTera

Quotewhat a scenery, ill have to save these just to look at them and relax later on. is living in alaska expensive?

Yes, it is expensive!  Wages are usually comparable to living expenses, but that's only when we're in an oil boom, really.  Right now, it's not booming, although you'd think it would be!  We're getting there.  I'm just waiting for it to happen so I can get a decent-paying job, I tell ya'!

A gallon of milk up here runs you $3.50 to $5.00, depending on whether you catch a sale ($3.50) or not and buy whole milk ($4.99).

Fruit is expensive, too.  Can't really grow that or corn here.  But they just grew a world's record pumpkin at over 700 lbs.!  And the fishing can't be beat.

Your minimum wage here I think is $5.00 an hour, but most get about $7.00.  Rent runs pretty high, too.  Buying houses are outrageous, but comparable to L.A., I guess.

QuoteI'm sorry....I thought we were going to talk about what was on the drink menu at the local bar!!

Hee hee!  We have some of the best beers up here, I tell ya'!   ;)  Lots of imports, which are comparable to what's brewed up here.  There are quite a number of mini breweries around Anchorage and some in Fairbanks, too.  Alaskans didn't even get Coors shipped here to sell until 1979.   :-\  (My stepdad liked Coors, so I remember that one.)

Chilkoot Charlie's is still the sightseer's bar of choice.  There was the old Birdhouse off the Seward Hwy that was famous because it survived the '64 quake, but was slanted forever more thereafter.  Women would leave bras and panties posted to the walls and ceilings.  It burned down in 1991, but 'Koots set up a section to take after the old Birdhouse, and it's slanted with panties and bras posted all over it.  LOL!

QuoteWe have a Bald Eagle in our Zoo in a small cage('bout the size of a one car garage but two stories tall) and you can stand about 5 feet away from this Amazing animal.  I must say....it is my most favorite part of the zoo....and at the same time the most sad!!

Wow!  I'm surprised they're allowed to have it in captivity.  They are definitely amazing animals.  My kids would get a kick out of us driving the Mopar and "chasing" them in flight so we could try and get pics.

Quotethats not a whale its nessie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!  Does kinda' look that way, doesn't it?   ;)

QuoteWow! That's pretty country. The only thing tall and big around here are buildings and taxes!

Taxes.  Whew!  So glad we don't have those!  They've been talking about it for years, tho.  A lot of people passing through buy stuff in Alaska just because we don't have a sales tax.

I don't see how we could afford to live if they started taxing us.  As it is, they pay us dividends every year off the oil money the state gets.  They're talking about fudging that, too, just as I knew they would from the beginning, despite the fact they swore all those years ago when it started that they would NEVER do that.  Typical government lies.  Most of us have to use the money to get out of debt every year.   >:(

LahTera

4402tuff4u

We have income tax, sales tax and big property tax! I'm paying $ 12,793/yr in my home. If it wasn't for my elderly relatives still living by me I would have pack up and been gone long time ago. But I can't abandon them here. So I'll stay until I have to.

LahTera

Holy cat, where are you living?

LahTera

4402tuff4u

Long Island, NY! A small cape with 90'x100' lot. Good schools and good area thou.

Khyron

i'll take this at 1024x768 please "D

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

LahTera

Quotei'll take this at 1024x768 please "D

You should be able to just right-click on the pic and Set as Background.  Is that what you mean?

QuoteLong Island, NY! A small cape with 90'x100' lot. Good schools and good area thou.

Aha!  Yup, you get taxed to death in NY.  Hubby came from Upstate, and we lived there for a bit back in the 90s, so I know what you mean!  Forget having property, I could barely afford to keep my car on the road -- LOL!  $6.00 a day to the state if you don't have insurance, or some such thing.  Ouch!  They couldn't track me, tho, cuz I had expired Alaska plates -- LOL!  I'll say one thing, tho, when they tow your car in NY, it doesn't cost *near* as much to retrieve it as it does up here.  Had a NY cop thinking I was nuts when he was going to tow my car for expired tags until he explained it didn't cost $200+ to get it out.  It was a grand total of $25.00.   ::)

LahTera

Khyron

Quote from: LahTera on August 18, 2005, 01:27:02 PM
You should be able to just right-click on the pic and Set as Background.   Is that what you mean?

I know that. :laugh: i'm saying I would like that picture larger without having to resize it with photoshop. That makes it all choppy :(

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

LahTera

<Gulp!>  I'm afraid I don't have it any larger.  I was taking as many as I could on the road trip, so had to keep the resolution down in order to fit 'em all on my itty-bitty space of memory.   ::)  Sorry!

LahTera

palindromes

Beautiful pics...makes me want to move back up.  I spent most of my childhood in Anchorage (graduated from Service High in '88), but ended up moving to Kansas with my folks.  I work for a company that recently bought a refinery in Fairbanks...maybe it's time to request a transfer...?

Charger4404spd

Wow, I have always wanted to come to Alaska, now even more. Thanks for sharing the pics. Every one looks like a postcard. And I could really use some of that snow right now sinse its been in the 90's with very high humidity for a few weeks now.

I work for a Yale forklift dealer, and there are dealers in Alaska that I could tranfer too. Hmmmm! :yesnod:

Chryco Psycho

LahTera

QuoteI spent most of my childhood in Anchorage (graduated from Service High in '88), but ended up moving to Kansas with my folks.  I work for a company that recently bought a refinery in Fairbanks...maybe it's time to request a transfer...?

Yup, I've been hoping (and yet NOT -- LOL!) that they would build more refineries in Alaska.  Makes for cheaper gas for us!  ;)  I know Service!  My son went there for awhile.  Me, I went to Bartlett.

QuoteWow, I have always wanted to come to Alaska, now even more. Thanks for sharing the pics. Every one looks like a postcard. And I could really use some of that snow right now sinse its been in the 90's with very high humidity for a few weeks now.

I work for a Yale forklift dealer, and there are dealers in Alaska that I could tranfer too. Hmmmm!

Doesn't seem to be much in Anchorage, but if you click the link below, you'll see what I got.  Just put "Fairbanks" in the City for searching and they may have more there.  http://yellowpages.superpages.com/listings.jsp?SRC=msn&C=Yale+Forklift&OO=1&MC=1&STYPE=S&F=1&T=Anchorage&S=AK&Z=&CP=Automotive%5EDealers%5ETrucks%5EForklifts+%26+Industrial+Trucks&PP=L&local=on

LahTera

Silver R/T

visit alaska at least once, its one of my things to do on the list now.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

volk68

I got to see some of the Alaskan coast a few years ago on a cruise...it is amazing.  There were bald eagles all over the place.  Saw a whale or two, also.  I live in the mountains of Colorado, but it is almost surreal along the Alaskan coast because the mountains shoot straight up from the ocean.  I got to see a few glaciers and took a helicopter ride on top of one.  Got some awesome pictures.  I plan to go back some day and maybe do some motorcycle riding in the interior.  I know I was only in the tourist areas, but it was still an amazing experience.

ChargerRob

Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

1968 Charger B5

always wanted to go there, my dog is from there,   its an alaskan malamute.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
1970 Dodge Charger
1974 Plymouth Roadrunner
1998 Jeep Cherokee SRT

derailed

Would you happen to have any pics of Juno. i have relatives there and would love to get out to see them. Ive never been there.