News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Installing locks on valvestem, having problem compressing spring

Started by MyMopar, August 18, 2005, 09:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyMopar

I'm trying to reassemble some heads I have. I'm putting in new valve sprigns, valves, retainers, etc...
The machine shop did all the machining and I figured I could do the rest.  Problem I'm having is getting the sprigns to compress so I can put the locks in.
I have one tool thast basically compresses the spring by turning it down.  Problem is the "hooks" like to slip off the spring, so I don't like to use it.
I have another tool that works on the head, it has a ratchet mechanism and one part holds the bottom of the valve and the other part slips over the spring retainer.  When I use this tool, the spring gets compressed crooked and I can only get one lock on.
Anyone know of a better tool or easier way?  I was thinking of rigging something up with the hydralic press I have, but it is getting the locks in that will be the problem.  I can compress the spring, but I have to make something or modify something to use in the press so I have a clear shot of the valve stem so I can put the locks on.
Just though before I go messing around and spending time on this, I would ask if anyone has advice.  Thanks.

RD

get one like this:

you can mostly likely get one thru summit, jegs, or a MAC/MATCO tool seller.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Charger_Fan

Quote from: RD on August 18, 2005, 11:55:17 AM
get one like this:

:iagree:
Sometimes you can rent them too, from "REAL" auto parts stores like NAPA, etc. :)

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

MyMopar

Quote from: RD on August 18, 2005, 11:55:17 AM
get one like this:

I'm uisng a tool similar to that, but it hardly looks as beefy.  Looks like I will have to find a better one.  THe one I have is probably made to work with lighter valve springs as it likes to bend and twist while compressing.

RD

they do have the same tool powered by air. so if you have an air compressor, there ya go.  i wouldnt recommend it unless you rebuild heads all the time though.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

MyMopar

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 18, 2005, 03:22:15 PM

http://www.goodson.com/store/template/product_detail.php?IID=2516&SID=4e4b0843e049cca57107cde929dedc88
That's nice, but it would be cheaper for me to have someone else install the valves at that point.  I don' tplan on opening shop rebuilding heads.  I might need to use some ingenuity depending on what I can/can't find around.

RD

see if you can borrow or rent one, they arent that much to rent.