News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help with MSD boxes and distributors

Started by Headrope, July 21, 2005, 01:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headrope

The ignition on my '66 is as follows:
*Stock distributor - but with points removed and Pertronix chip in it
*Voltage regulator
*Ballast resistor
*MSD Blaster 2 coil

I'd like to add an MSD box, but need some sort of magnetictrigger pickup for the distributor, according to the instructions that came with the MSD box. Rather than fuss with an old distributor that has already been modified I'm thinking of just buying one of the MSD billet distributors and being done with it.

Am I correct in thinking that all I need is the distributor? Can I still use my existing ignition system, or will I have to get an orange or chrome box from Mopar?
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

Ghoste

The MSD distributor is a pretty expensive piece.  Why do you want that one?  Mostly wondering and I'm not saying it isn't worth it, just might be overkill.

Headrope

Right now I have a 383, but will be building the piss out of a 400. The distributor is the same, and I need one now anyways.  

I'll probably buy a Mopar Performance billet distributor to save a few coins. They are actually MSD distributors, according to the Mopar Performance catalog.

Will switching to a MSD distributor allow me to run the MSD box without having to put a brain in my car?

p.s.
I modified the subject line of this thread to more acurately reflect my question. (I was tired when I originally posted the thread).

Chryco Psycho

you can use a rebuilt 440 dist from Napa or similar for around $70 to triggewr an MSD
The Mallory & Crane boxes are better , come with a rev limiter that doesn`t need expensive chips & are approx 1/3 of the cost of the MSD box ... shop around

Headrope

I thought distributors for a 440 and 383 were physically different. To confirm: All I have to do is go to NAPA and ask for a regular distributor for a 440.  It will trigger an MSD box and still allow me to run with only a ballast resistor, voltage regulator, and coil?

Aren't there points in a 440 distributor? If so, I'll need to put a Pertronix chip in it, right?

As for shopping around: I agree Mallory - maybe Crane too - are better than MSD, but was given a brand new, in the box MSD6 box and MSD Blaster 2 coil. I won't be able to find a better price than free, regardless of where I shop. I don't need a rev limiter right now, so am just trying to sort out the distributor issue.

Ghoste

The 440 one is longer but you can put a spacer between the block and the portion that would normally rest on the block.  There are commercially available spacers.

firefighter3931

A stock style electronic distributor will work fine with an MSD box. The MSD billet series are very nice and dialing in the advance curve is very simple....no plates to weld up. Mp also carries an electronic distributor. The newer version is tunable with a kit available through Mallory and it is similar to the MSD Billet series in that mechanical advance can be limited without any welding mods internally.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

you do not need a ballast resistor with a MSD control box 

Headrope

Still seems odd that a stock distributor will work without points, and will trigger the MSD box, but I trust you folks.
I think for now I'll just go to NAPA. Once I build my race motor I'll get the billet distributor.
Thanks, folks.

Ghoste

It uses the stock magnetic pickup and reluctor in the electronic unit to trigger it.

BigBlockSam

i dig msd components they work well. i have them in all my cars. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img