News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cause of noise?

Started by 73Charger, July 31, 2006, 09:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73Charger

What could cause a noise when backing up and it only seems to happen when I first back the cold car out of the portable garage after sitting a while?  Is this something in the tranny hanging up or brakes?  its kind of a loud sound like a vibration. its an automatic 904
1973 Charger SE 318 060 over, edel 1405, added elec choke, Mallory CD Ignition, Hdrs, to Dual Ravin Exhaust, Go-Wing
Restoring for cruising. I drive her during the summer.

RD

could you do a better job at describing the sound please?

scratching
whirring
screeching
knocking
tapping
clicking
humming

i am being serious mind you.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

73Charger

its not a: scratch,schrech, knock, tap, click.  the others are closer - its a lower pitched sound - constant the first few seconds I back up.  I usually stop then, sticking it in neutral, then go back to reverse and it usually goes away. sometimes it makes it longer if I don't stop.
This is after the car has sat for weeks in my portable garage so it is exposed to heat, and some water on the dirt floor.  I dont think it makes it once warmed up though. I just replaced my emergency brake cables - cept one side which appears to be working
low pitched buzzing rattle?
1973 Charger SE 318 060 over, edel 1405, added elec choke, Mallory CD Ignition, Hdrs, to Dual Ravin Exhaust, Go-Wing
Restoring for cruising. I drive her during the summer.

dodge freak

A mopar trans -auto- should be started or at least run in neutral for 20-30 seconds before putting it in gear. In park no fluid flows thought most of the trans. GM and Fords do, this is why you always check the level in neutral. Try that next time and see if it goes away.

NHCharger

Quote from: dodge freak on August 02, 2006, 10:48:02 PM
A mopar trans -auto- should be started or at least run in neutral for 20-30 seconds before putting it in gear. In park no fluid flows thought most of the trans. GM and Fords do, this is why you always check the level in neutral. Try that next time and see if it goes away.

I was told the reason for this noise  is the torque converter takes a minute to get lubed up and the tranny should be in neutral for this. So I agree with dodge freak on this.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel