News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Met An Ex Daytona Owner at the Local Barnes & Noble...

Started by RT DAVE, July 31, 2006, 09:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RT DAVE

...and he had alot to tell me.   First off, the guy knew alot of people in the hobby and everything he said that I had knowledge about was correct.  Said he once had an f6 green daytona with an auto on the column as well as several other highly valuable mopars.   Said he passed on a triple black hemi four sp daytona that was in Northern CA back in the late eighties.  The guy apparently wanted $100K plus back then for it.   Anybody know anything about this car?  The guy I spoke with stated the car was painted poorly with white paint when he looked at it because the owners wife didn't want to drive in a black car to her wedding.   
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

hemigeno

Quote from: RT DAVE on July 31, 2006, 09:40:35 AM
Said he passed on a triple black hemi four sp daytona that was in Northern CA back in the late eighties.  The guy apparently wanted $100K plus back then for it.   Anybody know anything about this car?

It sounds like the HemiDaytona that was just at Carlisle, but I didn't remember it going through California (could be wrong).  It was a black interior, black exterior w/ red stripe 4-speed hemicar.  Danny (69_500) and Dave (nascarxx29) both remember that car as having been owned by Don Hicks of AL, and it is listed on the '79 WW registry with his name as well. 

With only 22 4-speed HemiDaytona's made, the chances are high that's the one.  The only other car that comes close to that description (from my recollections and what records I have on file) is the X9 white interior 4-speed HemiDaytona that ended up in England.

Here's a link to the story on the X9 wingcar that went to England:

Black HemiDaytona Story

Geno

RT DAVE

Maybe I'm mis-remembering the all black part, but I'm pretty sure he said the car was in CA.  Unfortunately, I didn't get the guys phone # but I did give him mine.  Hopefully he'll call me back as he said he had some 68 parts I needed.  I had my kids with me and they were screaming at the time so I spaced on getting his #.  Just one more thing they may have messed up for me..   :icon_smile_big:

nascarxx29

I can think of another black hemi daytona besides Don H.Jim R had one a black hemi daytona that I think went to a collector.Motervdi in England
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69_500

The black HEMI Daytona that matches that description is the one that is currently in England. It was painted by a rattle can with white spray paint in the 80's during a cross country drive. The car was painted in a parking lot in colorado as I recall. Something about one guy buying it, and having a buddy deliver it to him in Colorado then driving it the rest of the way to CA. Not wanting to burn up in the car with the heat in the desert they painted it with rattle cans of white spray paint and continued on their way.
That car is last I knew of anyways in England. I don't recall it being that high of an asking price in the late 80's for that car, but I could be mistaken. I can only think of 2 HEMI Daytona's that are Black from the factory. One is the car that was at Carlisle and the other is the one that had the rattle can spray paint job that was in CA and now resides overseas.

Brock Samson

no pics of a daytona in the montaverdi website though...

RT DAVE

Quote from: 69_500 on August 01, 2006, 08:25:49 PM
The black HEMI Daytona that matches that description is the one that is currently in England. It was painted by a rattle can with white spray paint in the 80's during a cross country drive. The car was painted in a parking lot in colorado as I recall. Something about one guy buying it, and having a buddy deliver it to him in Colorado then driving it the rest of the way to CA. Not wanting to burn up in the car with the heat in the desert they painted it with rattle cans of white spray paint and continued on their way.
That car is last I knew of anyways in England. I don't recall it being that high of an asking price in the late 80's for that car, but I could be mistaken. I can only think of 2 HEMI Daytona's that are Black from the factory. One is the car that was at Carlisle and the other is the one that had the rattle can spray paint job that was in CA and now resides overseas.

Do you recall if the car was without it's nosecone & rear wing when it was found?  The guy I spoke with says that was the case.  He also said the rattle can paint was wearing off the car at that point, so he said it looked like it had an old nazy warplane camo paint job.   Sounds like the same story to me, more or less.   

69_500

I believe that the car was minus the nose cone and wing, right before it was sold to the gentleman in England. It had been parked since the drive cross country. The rattle can paint job would have been done around 1982-84. Some time in that time frame.