News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

starter splash shield

Started by moparjohn, August 01, 2006, 08:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatt69chgr

I have a 69 Charger that I bought from my brother-in-law about three years ago.  318/904.  He bought the last new one on the lot in Huntsville at the end of the summer.  He is not the mechanical type.  Changed plugs, oil, antifreeze, etc.  I have begun the long but enjoyable process of restoring it.  The car has the starter splash shield being discussed retained with the bolts shown.  I can guarantee that he didn't add it.  So I am fairly well convinced that this part came as original equipment on the car. 

hemigeno

Quote from: y3chargerrt on August 18, 2006, 09:09:19 PM
Brain, I don't think our Chargers should have that starter heat shield. I think it might be a Hemi or later model thing.Notice its listed for 66-83.What part do you know that fits all those years.NONE!  Ron

The heat shield is indeed a Hemi-only thing (at least during the musclecar era), as Ron said.  They pretty much had to use it, since the LH exhaust manifold almost wraps around the starter.  Prone to heat soak otherwise.  They used the shields on 66-69 automatic Hemi's, and all '70-1 Hemis.  The '66-69 4-speed Hemicars did not come with the shield because they used the slightly smaller direct-drive starter rather than the standard-issue gear reduction style.

resq302

HemiGeno,

thanks for that insight.  Whew!  Some extra money I just saved.   :icon_smile_big:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto