News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aluminum radiator time...how did you mount yours? Which one did you get?

Started by Wakko, July 21, 2005, 12:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakko

This was addressed with the old board but I didn't save any of the responses.  The factory radiator has finally had it and I need to get a fresh one ASAP.  I've decided to go with the universal aluminum one from either Jeg's or Summit.  The Ford style (top right/lower left hoses) seems best but I haven't decided whether to go with  26" width or 27.5".  I'm running a warmed over 440 with no A/C, but might add it later.  Factory radiator is 26" and keeps it at about 180-190 right now (but it's leakin').   I'd prefer to go bigger, but what method of mounting did you guys use?  Anyone have pics?  Is there an advantage to using Jegs, Summit or Griffon over another?  They're all 169 or 189.   What'd you use for hoses (I really don't want to use the universal ribbed ones).
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

NHCharger

I was talking to Gary (G Series) on our moparts cruise last month. The temps were close to 100 degrees and all 3 of their wing cars were running their normal temps. He said they get all their radiators from US Radiator out of CA. And the prices weren't bad. $300. to 400.  I think.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Johnny SixPack

If you don't mind having to add the petcock and mounting brackets, get the biggest one you can run (i.e. Summit brand 27.5").

I went with the BeCool 26" since it was all set to go (petcock + mounting brackets) and be a direct drop in (it wasn't for my car [originally came with a 22" rad], but that's another story).

If you do get the BeCool, it should bolt right in.

IIRC you car is a 4-speed, so just make sure the rad you go with doesn't have an internal trans. cooler.

Johnny
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

rebby

You can see mine here -> http://charger.rebby.com/performance.php

It's a universal fit w/no tranny cooler. Seems to do the trick just fine.  I'm working on a resto project though so I plan on selling it along w/the fan (currently for sale -> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7988117692).
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

Wakko

I thought about electric fans, but then I'd have to upgrade the alternator and such...don't wanna mess with it.  Whose radiator is that?  What hoses did you use? Where'd you get it?  I'm definitely interested.
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

Chryco Psycho

Alum will Not stand up to flexing as much as the original brass rads so I always try to mount alum rads with some rubber isolators

rebby

Quote from: Wakko on July 21, 2005, 11:43:11 PM
I thought about electric fans, but then I'd have to upgrade the alternator and such...don't wanna mess with it.  Whose radiator is that?  What hoses did you use? Where'd you get it?  I'm definitely interested.
It's a universal fit that I got off of Ebay a while back. There was no brand name on it so I'm not sure who makes it. For hoses I used one of the flex hose kits that you can get from Summit or Jegs. It worked pretty well. I mounted it with the brackets that it came with but put some rubber isolaters between the brackets and the car. I'm not going to be reusing my hoses either. If you like I can include them with the radiator.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

Steve P.

Wakko, are you trying to lighten up your car or just like the look?? The rad you have can be recored to hypo if you need it. I ask because your temp. looks good and fit and trim makes all the difference when you pop the hood...  Adding A/C is not a problem with a 26" rad. Even in Florida.....

Check out www.ClassicAutoAir.com   They are in Tampa and are the best A/C guys for older cars I have found. I give them both thumbs up....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Wakko

I'm just needin' a radiator that works in my car.  The light weight and increased efficiency is a bonus.  I'm going to stash the original radiator in case I ever need/want to go more original looking, but my car definitely doesn't look original underhood anyhow so I don't mind going aftermarket.   Rebby, check your PMs.
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

1970440RT

I bought a aluminum rad off an e-bay store ( universal parts ).  It was around 500 bucks.  It was a direct fit with aluminum shroud and dual electric fans. The only additional thing i had to buy was an adjustable thermostat switch for the fans. Advance auto had this in stock for $20.00.  I bought this set up to replace a "universal fit" Griffin radiator that I bought to replace an ailing stocker.  Trust me when I say If you try and save a nickel today, you'll be spending a dollar later to make it right ( notice the cutouts in rebby's electric fan shroud for the inlet and outlet ).  To get my Griffin to fit, I had to fashion a homemade bracket that looked like crap, find a shroud to fit ( 10 tries ), and swap electric and mechanical fans to try and keep it cool.  All this could have been avoided if I would have done it right in the first place.  ( holy crap, I wish I could follow my own advice sometimes )  I'll try to post pics tomorrow.

Wakko

I really don't wanna go with electric fans (upgrade the alternator, more underhood stuff).   I didn't think of the shroud though (I currently don't even have one on my car).
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM