News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Small Block to Big Block Help!!!

Started by Mopar Crazy, August 22, 2005, 11:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar Crazy

I have a 74 Challenger  318/904 auto....   I want to drop my 440/727 auto in....
Looking for some advise.

Pro vs. Cons

Will the electron ign. boxs be the same????
Does the suspension need to be modified?????
Does the Motor mounts on the K-frame need to be changed???
Any other pit falls I might encounter?????

Thanks for your help
Pete
Do it Once and Do it Right !!!

RD

Quote from: Mopar Crazy on August 22, 2005, 11:07:18 AM
I have a 74 Challenger   318/904 auto....     I want to drop my 440/727 auto in....
Looking for some advise.

Pro vs. Cons

Pro- 440 is cool as hell, 318 is good gas mileage
Cons - 440 sux gas, 318 isn't that cool

Will the electron ign. boxs be the same????

yes they are the same, you will need to extend your coil wire though due to the ign. coil being located in the front of the engine on a BB.

Does the suspension need to be modified?????

no it does not, but some individuals like to put in the beefier torsion bars for riding comfort

QuoteDoes the Motor mounts on the K-frame need to be changed???

the motor mounts will need to be changed to a schumacher swap kit SB to BB.   Or you can do a motor plate, but the swap kit is a helluva lot easier.

Any other pit falls I might encounter?????

yeah, you will need to shorten your driveshaft and have it rebalanced, make sure you get the correct oil pan for the 440 (dont know what the 440 came out of), get a bigger radiator, and lastly, hold onto your nutz, cuz the torque of a 440 is gonna rock ya!

Thanks for your help
Pete

no problem :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Mopar Crazy

RD, Thanks for the information... :icon_smile: :icon_smile:   I never thought of the drive shaft. :rotz:

The 440 came out of a 68 charger....Will the pan fit the K-Frame????????

I'm putting the 318 away, it's # matching.......

I def intent to rock this car...... :devil:

69bananabeast

i've got to do the same thing im waiting to get my 440  (from 318) from machine shop .  I think Im just gonna get the engine tuned as best as I can at the house and from there im gonna have it towed to a driveshaft shop so i wont screw up with the measurements some how . You can cut it too long but you cant cut it too short  :yesnod:
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

kamkuda

You don't necessarily need the schmacher kit, just big block motors mounts, and pulleys and accesories. BB tranny etc.
You also need a BB radiator as the inlets are on the other side.

Nacho-RT74

Isn't E bodies K members like untill 72 B bodies K members ? would reallly need to use a swap kit engine mounts or isn't enough just to use the right mounts ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

RD

73/74 challengers, cudas had isolated k members just like the chargers and coronets, but not C bodies.  He will need to get the swap kit due to the spool type motor mount.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

RD

Quote from: kamkuda on August 22, 2005, 09:50:02 PM
You don't necessarily need the schmacher kit, just big block motors mounts, and pulleys and accesories. BB tranny etc.

kam, dont need bb motor mounts, must get schumacher swap due to spool type motor mounts and k member.  if the radiator does not match up, just find a water pump housing off of a 72-78 bb motor, that way the inlet is on the pass. side.

Chryco Psycho

the pan will fit & the E bodys never swapped to the spool mounts like the B bodys did , so the BB mounts work in all year E bodys

Mopar Crazy

Niel, Sorry we missed you at Carlisle.....
Just to get this straight,
to put my 440 in the 74 Challenger(318) car,   can I use the mounts off the 318 on the 440
or use the mounts off the 440 and bolt them to the K-Frame??
Do I still need the Schumacher Swap Kit???

Do you have the Schumacker site????
Thanks

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 23, 2005, 12:50:16 AM
the pan will fit & the E bodys never swapped to the spool mounts like the B bodys did , so the BB mounts work in all year E bodys

That's what I had thought

Mopar Crazy, as Neil sayd, you need just to find the right BB mounts, no swap kit... anyway here is the schumacher services website, there is a lot of info there:
http://www.engine-swaps.com/

I think they sell the mounts as the OEM ones
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

ipstrategies

Not sure if it is needed but I have a BB wire harness for 74 Charger if interested email me.

1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

RD

i have seen 1 challenger with a spool type k member and moparguy01 has seen two challengers with the spool type k member.  just trying to make sure you have the right mounts.

cudaken

I have a 70 383 Cuda, and all you need is the factroy mounts. I bought my last set at Auto Stupid. They had them on the shelf yet.

Cuda Ken
I am back

kamkuda

Quote from: RD on August 23, 2005, 12:40:21 AM
Quote from: kamkuda on August 22, 2005, 09:50:02 PM

kam, dont need bb motor mounts, must get schumacher swap due to spool type motor mounts and k member.  if the radiator does not match up, just find a water pump housing off of a 72-78 bb motor, that way the inlet is on the pass. side.

RD Ebodies never can with a spool mount. The 73-74 b bodies came with the spool mounts.  Ebodies never changed.
You do not need the shumacher mounts.
I have a 73 Cuda kframe in my garage and a 73 Road Runner(sppol type) parts car.  I will try to post some pics to show the differences.

As you know, 73-74 B body spool type frames had a big block and small block version. You need the schmacher mounts to do this swap or change the kframe

I did the swap in my Cuda, Really, you only need the brackets for the engine to the k frame. :icon_smile:

Chryco Psycho

if you saw a spool mount in an E body the K may have been swapped from a A body or something

Ghoste

Will the A-body K frame fit in those cars?

moparguy01

you guys say that E-bodies never came with spool mounts, but I've seen 2 spool mount setups in 73 and 74 challengers. say what you want, but i know what i saw. Ive also seen quite a few with the old sandwich type mounts. but the fact is i've seen spools in them. maybe the factory just tossed whatever was on the line into whatever car passed by. i dont try to explain why chrysler did a few things that chrysler did.

RD

i thought all e body and b body k frames interchanged? just different part numbers, but were the same thing.

Ghoste

Well, I thought so too and if some of the B-bodies had spool mounts it would stand to reason that some of the E-bodies did too.

Chryco Psycho

the B body K will swap up to 72 after that they had the spool mount & the isolated K so that k will not swap into an E body , I think the A body will swap into a B & that is the only way I can see a spool K in an E body

Mopar Crazy

I appreciate all the feed back.....Thanks......But....

I have a 74 Challenger.
It has a factory 318......
I want to put a 1968 440 in it....
Will it mount to the K-Frame?????

Do I or do I not buy the schmacker kit......

Thanks

Ghoste

If your K does not have spool mounts then you do not need the Schumaker kit.  The 440 will fit one way or another on the K frame that is in there if it is for a V8.  You will have to look at it and determine if it is a spool mount K or the sandwich type.

moparguy01

go look at the mounts of the kframe in your car. tell us if they have the spool type mounts or if they have the older style sandwhich mounts. then we can tell you if you need the kit or not.

Mopar Crazy

sorry for the delay, I was out of town... The K-frame has the sandwich type mounts..
thanks
Pete

max

then all you need is a set of big block engine brackets and you can use your rubber insulators from the 318 mounts as long as they are still good if not they can be bought through a local parts store. i might have an extra set of big block brackets laying around if you need them. here is my email bss_1966@hotmail.com

there will be alot of little things that you will run into as far as getting a big block in the car but it can all be done with wrenches with the exception of the driveshaft unless you can find an e-body car that had a 727 trans in it and of coarse the exhaust system.

it's possible that the big block water pump housing will need to be changed to drop out on the same side as the radiator.