News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 Charger Front Fenders

Started by davev, July 28, 2015, 12:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davev

Does anyone know where to locate front fenders for a 1970 charger?  I am guessing for the luck I am having finding some that this is a well kicked horse.  Trying to restore a family car and I am down to the fenders.  Thanks for any help.

Mike DC

No reproduction panels are available (in steel).  You just gotta hit the used market and pay up for them. 

The 1968/69 fenders applied to about 180,000 cars but the 1970 fenders only applied to about 50,000.  It is far less cost-effective to reproduce the 1970 ones.  It may never happen.

In many cases your best bet is to find panels that need small/moderate amounts of work.  The perfect ones will be disproportionately expensive in comparison.   

charger_fan_4ever

I looked for 2 years for a good drivers side fender. Bought what was supposedly a clean fender in primer. My bad as was full of cheese. At one point someone must have sand blasted the whole panel. Ended up cutting out the worse sections and shrinking the rest. My original was beyond repair.

If you have a decent front section you may consider buying a 69 AMD fender and making it into a 70.

darbgnik

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on August 10, 2015, 10:46:25 AM

If you have a decent front section you may consider buying a 69 AMD fender and making it into a 70.

Has anyone ever tried this?
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

davev

I looked at it but they fenders are whole different.  The 69 has a rounded transition from the side to the top and the front section ahead of the wheel well is completely different.  They look the same until you pull up pictures and compare them closely.  Best I found is either pay out the nose, or find a very good body man and have them fix what you have if possible.

darbgnik

Thanks for your time and information.
Brad

LaOtto70Charger

If you convert the front to a 69 can you keep the 70 headlights with a 69 bumper?  I realize you also have to change the hood.  Just curious.

Mike DC

The 70 headlights were behind flip-up grille doors, just like in 68/69.  The grilles & mounting structure behind it were all different though. 

LaOtto70Charger

I was just wondering if my 70 ever gets hit in the front which is less work convert to 69 or find another set of rusty panels.  I like the 70 electric hideaways though.

darbgnik

I know the economies of scale are the reason they don't make 70 fenders, as there are significantly less of them around. I just wish they would re pop them and charge more for them, I'd still buy them........
Brad

davev

agreed.  I live in deer country and the thought of hitting one and going through this again makes me very nervious

dawgfather

i have a pair that has been bead blasted but not the prettiest pair. shipping it would be a pain and i have no idea how to pack it or ship it. let me know and maybe we can work something out. i am in california

darbgnik

Quote from: dawgfather on October 28, 2015, 11:02:20 PM
i have a pair that has been bead blasted but not the prettiest pair. shipping it would be a pain and i have no idea how to pack it or ship it. let me know and maybe we can work something out. i am in california

PM sent
Brad