News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

for the detectives

Started by SFRT, December 15, 2007, 08:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFRT

Ok..in 1978-79 I lived in North Highlands California, which is in northern Sacramento. I had a friend and one day we went to his house and they had a garage made into a rec room, with a big old fashioned slotcar track. in this same area his dad had a very bright blue wing car(corp blue plymouth?), with white trim up on a set of jacks. pretty much intact, except the wing was cracked. I remember him talking about the car (which at age 15 I thought looked pretty goofy) and how it was worth a ton of money and how there was no way to fix the wing etc etc. at one point one of the slot cars flew off the track and slammed into the wing car.

anyways...I was wondering if this is a known car and if any of you own it as it has stuck with me for 30 years as a weird memory.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

69_500

I don't know of that one, or at least it doesn't ring any bells. Would be a better question for say Joe machado, or Jim Radke though as they were definately in the know of most wing cars on the west coast.

Can't say that I've ever heard of a wing cracking on an origional wing car, due to the fact that they aren't fiberglass but alluminum.

SFRT

my (dim) memory was that wing was cracked at the radius  and the guy went on at length how there wasn't any way to weld it.  I think he thought it was magnesium or something, if memory serves correct..I seem to remember he got the car really cheap in some weird deal, was convinced it was a priceless treasure ( guess he was right, if it was a real wingcar) and was going to sit on it for ever . He was very proud of its 'value' I seem to remember. Other than that car he had no other 'interesting' car, so I dont think he was a car guy, just a guy that somehow had this car for whatever reason.

where people making replica wing cars in the late 70's ?
Always Drive Responsibly

BMOTOXSTAR

73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

PocketThunder

Can you drive back to that house and ask around with the neighbors?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

SFRT

it was so long ago. I can vaguely remember the nieghborhood, but no way could I zero it in other than Northern Sacto, 1978-79 . total normal suburban house on a regular street.
Always Drive Responsibly

PocketThunder

Quote from: SFRT on December 17, 2007, 12:36:22 PM
it was so long ago. I can vaguely remember the nieghborhood, but no way could I zero it in other than Northern Sacto, 1978-79 . total normal suburban house on a regular street.

You must remember his name and could look him up or "google" him  :icon_smile_big:  Have you talked to him since then or have you gone seperate ways in life since then?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

SFRT

its been 30 years and all over the planet since...so other than what I described thats about it. How many blue superbirds where made? cant be but a handful.
Always Drive Responsibly

69_500

I don't recall anyone cloning Superbirds back in the the late 70's, although there were people who were already doing cloned Daytona's by that time though. I don't think anyone needed to clone a Superbird back then, considering you could buy a real one cheap enough.

moparstuart

Quote from: 69_500 on December 17, 2007, 09:13:15 PM
I don't recall anyone cloning Superbirds back in the the late 70's, although there were people who were already doing cloned Daytona's by that time though. I don't think anyone needed to clone a Superbird back then, considering you could buy a real one cheap enough.
yeah seem that at least a couple people were cloning 70's into daytona's from day one

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE