News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ANY BOBBY ISSAC CLONES OUT THERE ? [ # 71]

Started by daytonalo, September 03, 2006, 02:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

Quote from: daytonalo on September 21, 2006, 09:18:00 PM
Hey Doug , thank you , I'm not sure I understand your breakdown on tire size .

That's the old time tire size.  There is a Goodyear Vintage Bluestreak available which should be very close.  It is an 8.00-15.  Fits a 15 x 10" rim,  26.5" diameter,  tread width is 10.2".  Section width is 12.9"   About $230 each   They have the original style tread pattern.    These are supplied for vintage Trans-Am racers.      www.sascosports.com

hotrod98

Doug, I agree about the part of building a street replica. I think that just doing the general sheet metal conversions is close enough when done along with the exterior paint, decals etc. It would be very easy to replicate that air breather that is routed through the firewall, (Howie has excellent pics). Along with a basic roll cage, you could run a little roll cage tubing in the engine compartment, yet leave the engine bay fairly stock along with using the factory hood hinges. Just dummy up the rear hood pins and use the real front ones. The possibilities are endless and the result would look great. Personally, I would probably use stock bucket seat interior for the comfort level on long road trips or cruises. I'm too old to drive a stock-car down the interstate for hours on end.
Although people have been building replicas for years, it seems like there has never been any real organization to it. It would look a little strange to have numerous replicas of the same exact car at one car show, you know, like a DOH gathering (no offense intended).
Doug, ever thought about organizing a group to better establish a way of communicating with the guys that would be interested in doing this? People could join the group and share info about how to clone these cars as well as helping to insure that we don't have numerous duplicates of the more famous cars and none of the lesser known cars. The lesser known cars would be every bit as interesting as the famous ones, especially if the owner were to put up a poster board with pics and stories about the drivers and owners. If there was enough interest, Troy might create a seperate discussion board just for the stock car clones and the restored original stock cars.
My guys here at the shop are already interested in building a Petty clone using my 74 Charger, so I guess we're in.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Aero426

There haven't been that many cars done so far.

The ones that come to mind are:
#43 Petty Superbird (factory built Superbird)
#71 Isaac Daytona (factory built Daytona)
#42 Marty Robbins Daytona
#88 test car
#99 Glotzbach (factory built Hemi Daytona)

Locally in Milwaukee there is a racing series that runs some replica vintage race cars.  There is a #1 McCluskey Superbird made from a Coronet body with a homemade nose and wing.  It runs a 355 small block and is a street based car with mods.  There also is a very crude #6 Baker Daytona.  But from the grandstands, they look pretty good.

That's all I can think of right now.

nitrometal

You can count me in also with my Petty 'bird.  That would be awesome to see a pack of replicas out there on the high banks.  Just like the good old days!  :boogie:

I'm going to the Goodguys show at Texas Motor Speedway next weekend and one of the benefits of entering your car in the event is that you get to take a few laps around the track. The guys from my carclub said that race car clones get a ton of attention out there on the track.

We should definitely get something organized. It would be a blast.  :drive:
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: nitrometal on September 22, 2006, 08:48:19 PM
You can count me in also with my Petty 'bird.  That would be awesome to see a pack of replicas out there on the high banks.  Just like the good old days!  :boogie:

I'm going to the Goodguys show at Texas Motor Speedway next weekend and one of the benefits of entering your car in the event is that you get to take a few laps around the track. The guys from my carclub said that race car clones get a ton of attention out there on the track.

We should definitely get something organized. It would be a blast.  :drive:

I agree,  I wonder what you can buy an outdated stock car for to use as parts.There is a car I saw at the Winged Warriors meet at Darlington last year which was the #61 Snap On Superbird. The car had a Franklin quick change rear and a front suspension (I am guessing)out of a late model stock car along with a lot of circle track stuff.  In my case the 68 Charger body I am using has to be reinforced so my idea is to use  2x4 rectangular tubing behind the rocker panels for strength.  X out the center section and reinforce the T bar crossmember.I alrready have the inner aprons and firewall removed and the front rails boxed.The great thing about this is that you can use parts that you wouldn't use on a show car.
  I think Doug would back me on this idea that the FORD guys might want in also as they were the reason the winged cars were built in the first place. ideas??  Al
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

nitrometal

I think Doug would back me on this idea that the FORD guys might want in also as they were the reason the winged cars were built in the first place. ideas??  Al

I actually think that having the Ford guys would make it look even more realistic.  That would be awesome having those retired replicas out there battling again.

I thought that I should build-up a David Pearson clone that my wife could drive to car shows with my Petty 'bird.  That oughta get the crowd fired up seeing thise two side-by-side again!  :bow:

hotrod98

The original plan for this duscussion board was to include all makes and models of the aero cars and I think that applies to any related areas as well. Just my opinion.
I think that for a nostalgia stock car (association, club, group, gathering, etc.) to be successful, you would definitely want all brands included. I see there being different classes, such as Original restored, Accurate recreation and Street version. Now all that we need is someone to take the ball and run with it...anyone...anyone?  ;D

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

nitrometal

Quote from: hotrod98 on September 24, 2006, 08:24:06 PM
Now all that we need is someone to take the ball and run with it...anyone...anyone?  ;D

I like your ideas on classes there Larry.  :iagree:

I have the time available but I don't have the experience or the webmaster skills (but I would love to get involved in a project like this).  Does someone know of some examples I can look at for this?  I could probably get my daughter to help me on the web parts, she's pretty good at that and I need to learn it anyway.

Do you guys think that it needs to be a separate forum or its own little domain out there in hyperspace?

Phil

THE CHARGER PUNK

Yes nitro plz make the david pearson talladega!!!!!-MATT

Aero426

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on September 25, 2006, 02:27:46 PM
Yes nitro plz make the david pearson talladega!!!!!-MATT

There is a guy in Milwaukee who has made a glass front clip for a 'Dega.    Also, I've heard there is a shop in FLorida who can make the steel fender extensions and header panel. 

YEARS ago, we're talking 1978, there was a guy with a street Talladega done up as a race car that had a real Pearson front clip on it.   He did some dirt track exhibition stuff and untimately smashed it.   

One thing to keep in mind, is that the lower fender roll will need to be massaged as the Talladega has a different rocker panel contour than the standard Torino/Fairlane.   The special rocker they built into the T's allowed them to lower the body an extra inch on the race chassis.

Highbanked Hauler

Aren't the Fords more complicated under the hood when it comes to suspension?Don't they have suspension set up same as a Mustang?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

nitrometal

WOW!  I had no clue that the Talladega's bodies & framework were that heavily modified  :o
I figured it was just a Torino with a special paint job!  I guess I should do a little research before I even consider doing a Pearson car, huh?  It might be more difficult than a winged clone.

Does anyone have some comparison pics or know of a good site that shows that?

Ghoste

Don't forget you also have to take a rear bumper and cut some out of it and reweld it to get it on the front.
The suspension would be the same design as a Mustang but it doesn't present any problems until you try to change plugs or add headers to a 428.

Aero426

Correct - front bumper is a modified rear Torino bumper.   As I mentioned, the rocker panels are completely re-rolled to a shallower shape.  It does not affect height on the street, but was intended for the race cars and allowed an extra inch of lowering.   To build a car, the rocker panel to lower fender mating issue can be handled with a piece of painted rocker trim to cover the mismatch.   Lou Whitfield did this on his #98 Lee Roy Yarbrough Spoiler II clone.

The inner headlight extensions are also special, but I think they are avail in glass or in steel.   Inside hood  release is a '69 Lincoln.    Front turn signals are '69 Bronco.

hemigeno

There was some really good information about unique Talladega construction and conversion parts sources on another thread:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,11015.0.html

Doug even posted a diagram of the rocker panel modifications in that thread too - some excellent reading!

nitrometal

Cool...I'll go check it out.  Thanks guys!  :P

You know, I was thinking that I don't need an "exact" duplicate.  I finally got to see my clone Petty 'bird next to a real Superbird.  I was at our local Cruise Night last week when a lemon twist yellow car pulled up & parked next to mine (I've never seen another wing car since I moved here 18 years ago!!!).  Man, they took a lot of short-cuts when they built mine, but, you know, it gets the point across.  I don't think that most people would notice the changes.  Even the hard core street rod nuts in my car club didn't realize all the differences between my clone and a real 'bird.

I'm thinking if I get something pretty close everyone would enjoy seeing those two side-by-side again.  Don't you?   And it would save a ton of money! $$$

THE CHARGER PUNK

really nitrometal the only difference between yours and a real bird is yours has no rear window plug,the hood isnt connected to the filler pan for the coronet hood 2 be a superbird hood, and ofcourse the engine and dash-MATT

Magnumcharger

Quote from: daytonalo on September 04, 2006, 10:11:29 AM
I totally agree ! Love to see one of current day drivers go 200 like buddy baker did in a old car !

I concur... :Twocents:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

nascarxx29

The one Doug pictured the 71 K&K daytona is a real 440 XX29 daytona of Dan Gaddis.He even rounded the hood egdes.And the tail light cover panel is plexiglass etc .It used to be light green with a old retro paint job
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

pettybird

ancient thread!

Dan's hood was modified when the car was painted green WAYYYY back when.

Aero426

Quote from: pettybird on November 28, 2007, 10:42:33 PM
ancient thread!

Dan's hood was modified when the car was painted green WAYYYY back when.

Here it is in its prior life.

Magnumcharger

Ooooooooo!!
That's gotta get put on my "Worst Charger Paintjobs" thread!  :lol:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Aero426

Quote from: Magnumcharger on November 28, 2007, 11:34:43 PM
Ooooooooo!!
That's gotta get put on my "Worst Charger Paintjobs" thread!  :lol:

I always thought it looked very nice in person, even the colors.    The paint on that car was a mile deep, something like 20 coats of clear lacquer.   For the time, it was tasteful.

Johnny Daytona

My ideal car is a Isaac looking body with out the numbers.  Paint it the right color of red, change the wing stripe to silver and have the lightning bolt but no writing on it.   Keep it simple.  People who know will appreciate it. Average Joe will think its just new graphics. Interior wise I would add a main hoop, a halo and A pillar posts. a  couple of rear bars as long as they don't interfere with a rear passenger getting in or out. . Got to build a dash. Its just too cool and simple not to. Plus I can sell my nice restored instrument panel to pay for some of the mods. If I wanted to get closer to real I could take a pair of old dodge van seats and modify them  for the front seats. It would be authentic Flat aluminum door panels with snap on vinyl covers. My car is getting cheaper for me to build . I don't have to buy expensive  poor quality reproduction interior. By the way I am not a fan of year one. I buy from them only when I am forced. I like the steelies but I think a set of trans am mini lites with big rubber would look great on it. There goes the budget again. Keep it a street car keep it street comfortable  Heated in cold, dry when it rains, and quiet windows. Suspension?  Keep it close to stock  Its a street car a lot of work has been done by smarter men than me to make it work.. Just get it lower.    some day I will tell you about the car I am working on for a friend of mine. A real Mercury Spoiler II with a boss 429 for the street. :cheers:
70 daytona clone, still building it<br />53-392 hemi stude chop top starlight cp<br />66 corvette cp My daily driver

daytonalo

My plan on My Next Daytona is a close to dead nuts as His car !! Maybe the Bonneville car with shaved drip rails !!!!