News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ANY BOBBY ISSAC CLONES OUT THERE ? [ # 71]

Started by daytonalo, September 03, 2006, 02:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

learical1

Quote from: moparstuart on December 03, 2007, 10:56:02 AM
does anyone know what the vent is there in the plug area  ??

My guess is, in the days before the catch-can,  it's a gas tank vent.
Bruce

moparstuart

Quote from: learical1 on December 03, 2007, 11:05:04 AM

makes sense 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Moparmatty

If I remember correctly.  It was brought up at the '99 Tallageda Reunion that during the resto at Gibson's they found a lot of salt under various sections/components of the 71 K&K car.
Matt Tebbutt
Ontario, Canada

Magnumcharger

Quote from: learical1 on December 03, 2007, 11:05:04 AM

Just a hypothesis on my part, working in the aero-space field as I am....
On some aircraft, there are fuel vents located high and aft that work on the principle of scavaging fumes in a  low pressure area.
This would likely be the case given the proximity of the vent to the fuel tank, and it's position on the Daytona.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

daytonalo

As I study that small window , I could use the non plug widow and make my own plug

Ghoste

The pic of the back and the plug reminds me a lot of the modern funny cars.  Just the general shape and everything being so smooth I guess.  :shruggy:

69_500

Hey Gene, to save you asking Harry Lee Hide I'll tell you what he told me at the Monster Mopar this past year. The car that Tim has is definately the car they took to Bonneville, that is according to him. He said there was multiple things about that car that were unique to it, and when he saw the car when Tim had it he knew it was the same car. I've got it on video as well, if anyone is interested, but it will be still a while before I get to editing that interview. I'm slow at editing now, as I spend too much time doing everything else.

Ghoste

I have to change my position of doubt then.  You can't argue with the people who knew the car firsthand.  :cheers:

daytonalo

I would like to ask him when they welded back the drip rails and installed the correct back window .

hemigeno

I suppose they put the driprails back on because it was required by NASCAR (if they were ever really taken off in the first place).  The rear window plug was never changed out to start with (so all they had to do was rip out whatever fairing material they used at Bonneville and put the stock moulding back in place).

:shruggy:

Moparmatty

Why would they put the drip rails back on to satisfy NASCAR?  The Wing Cars were alreay banned by the point that K&K was racing at Bonneville, weren't they?  As I posted above, I don't think they were ever removed.  I'm just asking a hypothetical question.
Matt Tebbutt
Ontario, Canada

daytonalo

That has been my logic all along , but most on here think I'm and Idiot !!

69_500

I don't really see any photo's that conclusively show that they did remove the drip rail mouldings at Bonneville. Both photo's you can make out the drip rail mouldings, and as far as the ones where you can't, I would say it it due to them being partially filled in for better aerodynamics out there.

moparstuart

Quote from: daytonalo on December 04, 2007, 07:38:37 AM
That has been my logic all along , but most on here think I'm and Idiot !!
no one thinks your an idiot !!  just alittle more abrasive for most peoples taste, and of course very opinionated like me
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

learical1

Quote from: daytonalo on December 04, 2007, 07:38:37 AM
most on here think I'm and Idiot !!

You are NOT an Idiot.  However, you COULD use a little of definition 1 and 2 of:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tact

::)
Bruce

Johnny Daytona

Quote from: 69_500 on December 04, 2007, 08:27:18 AM
I don't really see any photo's that conclusively show that they did remove the drip rail mouldings at Bonneville. Both photo's you can make out the drip rail mouldings, and as far as the ones where you can't, I would say it it due to them being partially filled in for better aerodynamics out there.
:iagree:
    The car has been repainted since the salt flat runs. And knowing the quality of body filler in 1970 it would have been no trouble to chip it out of drip rails at the time it was painted. The salt pictures show a 71 on the deck lid. The Wellborn car at Talladega has not. So it has to be  repainted. I am of the opinion that the Wellborn car is the real thing.
70 daytona clone, still building it<br />53-392 hemi stude chop top starlight cp<br />66 corvette cp My daily driver

daytonalo

No way was it filled , look at the countour , if it was filled it would roll out at an different angle

Johnny Daytona

Having looked at all the pictures from Bonneville and the photos from areowarriors I feel safe to say that The drip rails were not re-welded to the roof. I say that It has a different roof skin completely on the car. Not only does it not have the drip rails the roof is narrow at the top like it has had a section cut out of the middle. It may have been the same roof that was raced with the drip rails attached to it. And the rails removed for the speed run. That would also explain the small rear window.
I found video clip of Harry Hyde Jr at 1999 reunion. I understand from his comments that a lot of work was done on the car after they returned just to stop the rust. And If the car was going on exhibit.  The drip rails would become a point of controversy just as they are here. I am sure that there were plenty of skins available. That it was easier to replace the roof and plug than fix the drip rails.They probably had one off another car that was getting updated sheetmetal. The car was repainted explaining the loss of the number on the deck lid. And I am the only one that noticed that it has a different color red at Bonneville than at Talladega museum
70 daytona clone, still building it<br />53-392 hemi stude chop top starlight cp<br />66 corvette cp My daily driver

daytonalo

Impossible to tell from photos ,Ford  poppy red is the color !

Mike DC

I really don't think the roof is altered so heavily like that. 

The windshield/greenhouse probably looks taller on those cars because the dashboards are lower & flatter than the stock ones.   And the whole cars are lowered at the rockers compared to stock ones too.   

Johnny Daytona

I making my call based on the rear profile of the roof. and I found a picture of the A pillars and the top and bottom windshield trim moulding is cut square and butts into the posts with no side trim. At nascar tech the lack of side mouldings would not have been visible, because they are covered by the stainless A pillar covers. That alone is 3/4" per side . And its Harry Hyde's job to find all of the little gray areas in the rule book. I am sure that any thing to narrow the frontal profile was done especially on the roof. A part that rarely would be replaced if in an accident.  I will make a call tomorrow and find out.

THE CHARGER PUNK

those fender scoops are moulded into the fenders the welbourne car definitely does not :rotz:

Ghoste

But was it done permanently or temporarily with some type of filler?

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701