News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Shoulder belt elastic retaining strap..anyone repo this?

Started by whitehatspecial, September 10, 2006, 08:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitehatspecial

I have a 1968 with a dark green interior. The original shoulder belts have an elastic retaining strap that snaps to the headliner. Mine have lost their elasticity and I'm wondering who repos this part.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

19Charger68

I've got the same problem.  I don't know of any repops for those so I am thinking of having my better half sew them so that they are shorter and will keep the belts more taught.
Bruce

Ghoste

Is that something they can restore or help with at Sssnake Oyl or whatever that seat belt place is called?

whitehatspecial

Mine have completely lost all stretchiness and I've tied a knot to shorten the length. I think a trip to a fabric store may be the next idea, but I'll have to figure a way save the original snap.
Cars owned:

Spartan

Was the elastic color the same as the belts?  mine is shot too.  I was thinkng about my wife sew some on or try some velcro set up to make it work.  I used to have to wrap my belts to keep them from sagging.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Sweet T

I don't imagine these are very nice on many chargers.  My passenger side is still intact but my driver's side just snapped this summer when the kids were climbing in and out of the car throught the windows (Duke fans).
No, it ain't a Hemi.....thank God!

Just 6T9 CHGR

About 8 years ago I had my sis-in-law sew new elastic from a craft store on mine with a new button....they are strating to sag again.. :mad:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

694spdRT

I plan on having my mother in law redo mine this winter. I picked up some new elastic and snaps at a Hobby Lobby and just need to get her the originals to duplicate.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

8WHEELER

My wife did sew new elastic from a craft store 9yrs ago with a new button, they are still great no sagging.
Mine was black so easy to match, we also put a thin 1/2 wide piece of Velcro around the straps so the
one belt does not have any way of sagging down again because it is held up, nobody sees it until we
tell them, I gave my wife total credit on that idea  ;D

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

whitehatspecial

Can anyone give me the length of the elastic section when it is relaxed?
Cars owned:

69BlackChargerRT

Ssnake Oyl did my whole shoulder belt and they, with the new elastic strap, look like new.  You would have to call them for a quote, but if you aren't handy with a needle and thread, it might be worth it.

Spartan

Was all the elastic black or do they match the color to the seat belts?
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

whitehatspecial

Quote from: Spartan on September 20, 2006, 07:11:17 PM
Was all the elastic black or do they match the color to the seat belts?

Mine is green like the interior.
Cars owned:

Spartan

69BlackChargerRT

Does anybody have the measurements to where the retaining snap on the headliner matches up (forward of the coat hook and up, but how far)???? ???

Thanks in advance!

whitehatspecial

Quote from: 69BlackChargerRT on September 26, 2006, 01:28:15 PM
Does anybody have the measurements to where the retaining snap on the headliner matches up (forward of the coat hook and up, but how far)???? ???

Thanks in advance!

Hope this picture helps you. I can give you the measurements as well, if needed.
Cars owned:

resq302

Thats weird.  Mine snap is located in the material of the webbing in the shoulder belt.  Wonder if they changed the location due to it being so close to the coat hook and people catching the hanger on the elastic.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

whitehatspecial

Quote from: resq302 on September 28, 2006, 07:20:28 AM
Thats weird.  Mine snap is located in the material of the webbing in the shoulder belt.  Wonder if they changed the location due to it being so close to the coat hook and people catching the hanger on the elastic.

The picture is from an original, unrestored car. I think my car is an early '68, but I'm not sure. Your design makes more sense, they must have had problems with the first design.
Cars owned:

69BlackChargerRT

Spartan

were your coat hooks green?  never seen that.  I have a green interior and mine are black

whitehatspecial

Quote from: Spartan on October 01, 2006, 08:28:30 PM
were your coat hooks green?  never seen that.  I have a green interior and mine are black
It is  definately green, and there is only one (the driver's side). There is also another male snap button on the webbed section of the belt. I assume that is to hold the loose end of the belt while it is in use.
Cars owned:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: resq302 on September 28, 2006, 07:20:28 AM
Thats weird. Mine snap is located in the material of the webbing in the shoulder belt. Wonder if they changed the location due to it being so close to the coat hook and people catching the hanger on the elastic.

Here is a pic of mine.... my headliner was never out :shruggy:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

dkn1997

Quote from: whitehatspecial on September 28, 2006, 07:13:17 AM
Quote from: 69BlackChargerRT on September 26, 2006, 01:28:15 PM

Thanks in advance!

Hope this picture helps you. I can give you the measurements as well, if needed.

MY 68 IS a june built car, same snap arrangement.  my elastic on both belts is completely missing, not a trace of it. left.  Oh well...
RECHRGED

dodgedarren

Just finished. They came out great and nice and snug!!!

dodgedarren

Just finished. They came out great and nice and snug!!!

Ghoste