News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Shifter Handle keeps hitting the dash!!! YOU?

Started by mikes68charger, September 10, 2006, 09:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikes68charger

I'm almost finish putting my car to getter and just installed the dash pads, My shifter handle hits in R, 1, 4 what should I do? This is a really nice Hurst center counsel shifter I paid 250 for the the hole set up. I was thinking of flipping it around but It has a 2 inch offset to make if for the center counsel and turning around would bring it to close to me. What shifter do you use? I do like that it say Hurst on it.

rt green

third string oil changer

Chryco Psycho

did you center the levers in the shifter underneath the car , even if you have you can adjust the rods slightly shorter pull the stick rearward  , shorter shift levers on the side of the tranny will help too

Rolling_Thunder

ummmm   how does the shifter hit the dash in 4th ?    i mean R, 1, & 3 i could see...    but if it hits the dash in 4th you got some major issues dude    :icon_smile_big:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

mikes68charger

Your rite, theres no hitten in 4th its R,1, 3. I had the trans rebuilt and the shifter was add and adjusted buy the the shop. Its the alummun 3 speed with OD so 3rd is 4th to me :icon_smile_big: So how do you adjust the shafts with out messessing up the trans? I did almost everything on this car my self, even the hyd clutch set up, but shifter rods are foreign to me.  :P

Rolling_Thunder

put the caR In neutral and then use a 1/4 drill bit - this should slide in a hole in all the levers...   this aligning them - then adjust the rods legnth while all the gears are in the neutral position...    this shouuld fix your problem
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

John_Kunkel

Even if the levers are correctly aligned with a rig pin the plate that mounts the shifter to the tail housing might be incorrect and tilting the shifter forward.

If all of the parts are correct, I would just bend the shift handle to clear the dash.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Chryco Psycho

mikes68charger

I would change the shifter but I like the fact it centers it self so I can use a center console. Are there different mounts for mounting the shifter to the trans? I'm thinking of torching it and bending it.

Ghoste

John_Kunkel

Quote from: mikes68charger on September 12, 2006, 10:29:04 PM
I would change the shifter but I like the fact it centers it self so I can use a center console. Are there different mounts for mounting the shifter to the trans?

Yes, if you have the original factory shifter, the '68-'69 B body mount plate should have the number 6343.

QuoteI'm thinking of torching it and bending it.

I wouldn't torch it; the handle bends fairly easy in a press and you won't discolor the chrome.

mikes68charger

Thanks for all your help, PS your rite it dose bend alot easyer than I exspected for such thick metal. It work great now!!! One more qestion, my throw from 3-4 is a almost 2x as long as 1-2 is that normal?

Chryco Psycho

no  , you probably have different length levers on the side of the trans

Ghoste

This shop that rebuilt your trans, they did sell you a shifter that was for your application, right?

John_Kunkel

Like CP stated, there are different length levers:

1fine69

that was a common problem for 68 year  " busted knuckles "  :shruggy:going through the gears. but i think the fellas have put on here some good advice.
THE DEVIL'S A PIMP DON'T BE HIS HOE!