News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New to forum, doing bodywork now.

Started by alfanta, September 06, 2006, 02:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfanta

Hi all, Im new to the forum.

to introduce myself quickly, My name is RJ. Im a student at the university of Cincinnati and studying Industrial Design in the transportation track. I have had my 73 charger now for a little over 2 years and after it got backed into (it was heartbreaking) and the transmission went out, it has sat for the past year. I finally have brought myself to restore and update it. I have a few questions concerning body work.

1 what doors can fit on a 73 charger(not SE or RT)?
2 who knows if i can get a door with power locks and windows preferably rust free, however knowing the age I can deal with a little bit of rust?
3 IF i cant get a door with power locks and windows, does anyone know a conversion or will i have to fly by the seat of my pants?
4 and if i am flying by the seat of my pants, does anyone know where i can get new exterior doorskins? mine are rusted terribly pretty much beyond repair and i would rather put money into new doors or skins than time into fixing the ones that are there.

Thanks in advance for the help guys. I am excited about this project.

Just to let those that are interested know. the dent is mostly out and I am currently smoothing it.

Troy

Where's all the 3rd gen guys at? I sent you a PM on the doors but I don't know about the power window question/conversion.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

alfanta

Yeah, I had an 84 pontiac fiero and i was tinkering around with various electronics with it (digital gague conversion, electric trunk release) and i think that if i could get a motor that could lift the door i could get it to work, however its going to take some messing around this winter. I replied to the PM on the doors, thanks Troy.

Im going to look at a sebring convertible for the power window motors cause i know those windows are big in those cars so the motor will be able to handle the weight. When i get working on it, ill let everyone know.

If anyone has any ideas or knowledge for the power windows and locks, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-RJ

74340charger

i'm pretty sure that the 73/74 doors are differant from the 71/72. I guess the hinges are in a differant place. look into www.vfnfiberglass.com for other rusted or warped or dinged stuff(trunk lid)

41husk

Welcome aboard the doors for 73 and 74 are different than 71 and 72.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

alfanta

ok thanks. Now does anyone know about power windows or lock conversions?

74340charger

I don't know why anyone would want power windows, bc mine have a pretty good chance of never going out on me, unless I break my arm. I remember seeing stuff in summit in the aftermarket dept if that is a way you would like to go.