News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dual Quads - issues? Manifolds?

Started by defiance, September 15, 2006, 09:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

defiance

As anyone who knows me knows, I'm doing a complete engine rebuild at the moment... Pistons have to be custom built for the setup I want, though, so I'm waiting a while (~6 weeks) to get started, so in the meantime I'm trying to hash out some details I've been kinda undecided on.

One thing I've almost decided for certain on is that I'd like to do dual quads.  BUT - one thing to keep in mind is, this isn't a carb setup, it's multi-port injection.  I've read a LOT of people hate dual quads, but that's mostly for the issue of tuning.  Tuning a pair of throttle bodies, though, is nothing more than just making sure the linkage adjusts so that the throttles are exactly aligned - maybe 10 minutes.  So, for this setup, tuning isn't an issue - at least, not any more than it would be with a single throttle body. 

My thoughts on going with a dual quad setup are
1) eye candy! :D  I've always thought the look of two 4-bbls on an engine is just awesome :)
2) Power, obviously.  And flexibility, because of the REALLY easy airflow adjustment (see below).

I can get the throttle bodies relatively inexpensively - This one http://www.auto-nomics.com/images/throt_body.jpg is $75, plus another $70 to get the TPS (only one of them would need that), plugs for the injector holes (since my injectors will be in the manifold), and sleeves.  Oh, yeah; that's another REALLY cool thing about these throttle bodies - They're 750cfm, they have sleeves you can get which drop them down to 450, and the sleeves can be VERY easily bored to any level in between.  I'm thinking about getting 4 sets, then machining two to 550 and 650, then I'll have the ability to on-the-fly adjust from 450cfm each to 750 cfm each...  I could actually pop the top, switch from one set of sleeves to the other in < 5 minutes on a dyno, and really map out exactly which was optimal for my engine :)

Oh, yeah, back to the subject, though - Am I off base to want this setup?  If so, why?

Also, does anyone have recommendations for a dual quad manifold?  So far, all I've found are tunnel rams, cross rams - both of which are out of the question; I love my bulge hood and don't want to cut it - then Edelbrock's CH-28 (dual plane) and Offenhauser's 360 low-rise (single plane). 

My initial thoughts are that the CH-28 would probably be the best choice, since I need more bottom end oomph than high-rpm power, but to be honest I've never heard anything specific about either of these manifolds.  Does anyone know either manifold enough to recommend (or warn against) them, or are there other manifolds I should consider?

Thanks!

Crazy440

It sounds like a fair setup.  I run the Edy manifold and have been thinking of swapping out the carbs for duel EFI setup.  The one thing was, when I first put the motor together, I didn't have all the parts, both internal and drive train working together..  It ran ok but when I went back and did a redo on the motor, I had a cam cut for the pistons, heads, headers, tires and rear gearing.  With all the parts working together the thing runs harder than I ever imagined. Never used the Offenhauser's 360 low-rise, but I've heard some good things about it.

Crazy
I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.

dodge freak

I have a offy 360 high rise with single Holley hp carb. and it works good when the motors cold and great once the motors ran for few minutes. I think those F I units maybe when brand new work fine but F I gets old and shows it age. The injectors don't spray as good , sometimes leak and need more fuel pressure than a carb. Thats why I not changing to F I anytime soon. To much money and too much to go wrong. My carb is easy to clean, has ran good for many months-no problems all last season and so far this season , which is 7 months.

If I were to ever go F I it be with a brand new unit, this way you get the lastest technology and all new parts that work fine for a few years, maybe more.

And it would be 1 unit, that should be fine for the street. Yes dual looks very cool but unless you have lots of money to play with its not worth it. The advantage I think with F I is that the fuel is spray down in to the manifold so you can run more CFM than a carb making dual F I units unnecessary and you won't see much differance in power output. Now I never try it so it just what seems to make sense to me.

Chryco Psycho

for EFI multi port I would use a single plane , the advantage of a dual plane is the better response at the carb to pull & meter fuel at low RPM tis is basically lost with fuel injection