News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any idea what's wrong

Started by 4forty, October 20, 2006, 08:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4forty

Chargers's been running fine all summer, last weekend, took it out for a long ride, few hours, on the way home it started popping through exhaust and running real rough at idle but smoooths out at higher revs. Also brake petal got real hard to push??? and headlights take forever to open if they ever do. Changed Plugs and checked vaccuum lines but it still it's doing the same thing., sounds like vaccuum problem?   

'72 440 , Headers, intake and Edelbrock Carb

jg68

Quote from: 4forty on October 20, 2006, 08:59:04 AM
Chargers's been running fine all summer, last weekend, took it out for a long ride, few hours, on the way home it started popping through exhaust and running real rough at idle but smoooths out at higher revs. Also brake petal got real hard to push??? and headlights take forever to open if they ever do. Changed Plugs and checked vaccuum lines but it still it's doing the same thing., sounds like vaccuum problem?   

'72 440 , Headers, intake and Edelbrock Carb

Does it have PBs, if so, see if the check valve on the booster is working properly or that nothing around the booster is leaking, also while its idling, step on the brake pedal & see if the engine changes rpm or acts different or you hear any hissing.

resq302

Certainly sounds like a vacuum leak to me.  Your engine uses and relies more on vacuum at idle than it does at higher rpms and speeds.  If you have a vacuum leak, you would certainly notice it at idle.  Do you hear any whistle noises or hissing? 

Another trick I have learned is to use a small propane bottle and go around the areas of the intake to cyl. head and carb base.  If there is a vacuum leak, the engine will either smooth out or have the idle raise a bit which will pin point the area where your leak is.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Chryco Psycho

popping in the exhuast is often too rich so it could be an internal leak in the carb or a fouled spark plug or bad ign wire etc

4forty

It has Pwr Brakes.      Thanks everyone for the help, I'll be trying some of those things this weekend (if it Don't rain all weekend)      Thanks again

firefighter3931

Get a vacuum guage on the carb.....Pull the vacuum hose off the PB booster and put your finger over the open end. If the engine vacuum goes up then you've got a problem with the booster or check valve. It sounds like a vacuum leak to me, but you need to isolate the location. Good luck.  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs