News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Temperature Guage Question/Problems

Started by johnjb, September 18, 2006, 06:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manfred318

Ok now that Ive done it the way it should have been done. The guages came right over immediately 3/4 of the way up then kept climbing on up to Full, 80 psi, and 230 degrees.

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

Plumcrazy

Quote from: Manfred318 on September 22, 2006, 06:06:46 PM
Ok now that Ive done it the way it should have been done. The guages came right over immediately 3/4 of the way up then kept climbing on up to Full, 80 psi, and 230 degrees.

The 230* is a little low, it should be closer to 250*.  But if you provided a good ground to the other sending units then I still have to say the problem is with the sending units.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Manfred318

I went out and replaced the oil pressure and the temp sending units. The gauges worked, but but did not read right. It was showing around 15-20 lbs of pressure and around 150*.I'm wondering if maybe I should replace the voltage limiter?

Current MoPars:

Plumcrazy

Quote from: Manfred318 on September 22, 2006, 10:36:03 PM
I went out and replaced the oil pressure and the temp sending units. The gauges worked, but but did not read right. It was showing around 15-20 lbs of pressure and around 150*.I'm wondering if maybe I should replace the voltage limiter?

You already checked it.  When you substituted the 10 ohm resistor for the fuel sending unit and got a full fuel tank reading  And then got an 80 psi reading on the oil pressure gauge you checked the voltage limiter.   If it wasn't putting out an avarage of 5 volts those gauges would have read low.

If the temp gauge only went to 230* then it is reading a little low but it can't be the voltage limiter because the other gauges read correctly.

You might try disconnecting the engine wiring connector from the bulkhead in the engine compartment.  Try cleaning it with some electrical connector cleaner.

Manfred318

Quote from: Plumcrazy on September 23, 2006, 11:53:13 AM
Quote from: Manfred318 on September 22, 2006, 10:36:03 PM

You already checked it.  When you substituted the 10 ohm resistor for the fuel sending unit and got a full fuel tank reading  And then got an 80 psi reading on the oil pressure gauge you checked the voltage limiter.   If it wasn't putting out an avarage of 5 volts those gauges would have read low.

If the temp gauge only went to 230* then it is reading a little low but it can't be the voltage limiter because the other gauges read correctly.

You might try disconnecting the engine wiring connector from the bulkhead in the engine compartment.  Try cleaning it with some electrical connector cleaner.

I didnt get a chance to clean it today, but I will tomorrow. After driving the car around town today however the guages seem to reading more accurately now, I had around 25 lbs of oil pressure and it was keeping 170*. Plumcrazy I would like to sencerely thank you for all of the help you have given me over the last week or so. If it wasnt for all of your help I would still be in the dark, so again THANKS ALOT!! :2thumbs: :cheers: :boogie: :drive:

Current MoPars:

Plumcrazy

hcharger

Hi Do you have a mopar order number for the volyage limiter  My dealer  cant seem to help me
Ron

Plumcrazy

Quote from: hcharger on November 14, 2006, 08:41:14 PM
Hi Do you have a mopar order number for the volyage limiter  My dealer  cant seem to help me
Ron

The one for 68-70 Chargers is part #2258413
Lists for $64.20

RDR-838

I'm having problems with my temp gauge, too. It had been working fine until I changed the cam and timing set. Now my gauge immediately pegs to the right even when the car is stone cold. I'm sure this is a coincidence, but still. ??? My car is a '69 383.

hemi68charger

Quote from: RDR-838 on February 14, 2007, 11:52:25 AM
I'm having problems with my temp gauge, too. It had been working fine until I changed the cam and timing set. Now my gauge immediately pegs to the right even when the car is stone cold. I'm sure this is a coincidence, but still. ??? My car is a '69 383.

Sounds like your sending unit wire is grounding out, hence getting 0 ohms resistance.........   The less resistance you have, the more the needle moves the "full" position.. If it's pegging full right off the bat, you're geting voltage, but also zero resistance, grounding........

Try tracing your wires... If the other gauges, oil and fuel aren't acting funny, then it's a temp circuit problem.........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection