News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SB to B/RB Schumacher swap guys - come in

Started by 73 Charger 440, September 09, 2006, 01:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73 Charger 440

Hey guys,

Was about to cut off the section of the motor mounts on the K-frame (SB car) as instructed by Schumacher, however when looking at their pictures in the manual my K-frame appears a bit different where the power steering box mounts. Their picture shows a factory hole in the metal support that comes from the power steering mounting (which goes next to the driver side motor mount) and is supposed to provide reference to where to grind some extra metal out, however my goes down at more of an angle then the picture...

Anyone have a similar situation? Heres my K-frame, I really dont want to cut and drill into it and go "oh... shouldnt have done that".

Thanks in advance.

Chryco Psycho

I haven`t done this swap yet but Have you tried fitting the Schumaker mounts ? or do you have a bare block to work with to test fit ?

73 Charger 440

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 09, 2006, 11:31:10 PM
I haven`t done this swap yet but Have you tried fitting the Schumaker mounts ? or do you have a bare block to work with to test fit ?

I have not tried fitting the Schumacher mounts yet, was actually thinking of trying it last night... They say you have to grind material off the K-frame mounts so that the oil pump will clear... Dont have a bare block and want to reduce the times I have to lift/remove the engine.

greatwn73

73 charger 440

I just finished this swap this summer and my k frame was the same as yours just trim the drivers mount as shown (use the template supplied). I think the picture used in the instructions were a manual steering box. I also ground (notched) the angled support for oil pump clearance. Cutting this will not weaken the structure. Don't forget to grind the tabs at the back of the rear mount for dipstick clearance. its close.

73-charger-383

i did the swap too.........I just went by the template, and it dropped right in........but boy that dipstick ends up close.

73 Charger 440

Thanks guys, how much should I grind the tabs for the dipstick clearence?

greatwn73

Just grind the tabs flush with the mount. This is the tab on the back mount that acts as a nut retainer for the stock motor mount bolts.

73 Charger 440

Quote from: greatwn73 on September 20, 2006, 07:27:46 AM
   Just grind the tabs flush with the mount. This is the tab on the back mount that acts as a nut retainer for the stock motor mount bolts.

Alright, gotcha. Sounds good, thanks :)