News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone use these tools?

Started by DW, September 20, 2006, 02:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DW

Wonderin' if anyone has used these, or anything like them, for doing their own alignments. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&item=300028363989&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAMBER-CASTER-TOE-GAUGE-ALIGNMENT-RACING-AUTOCROSS-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43989QQihZ013QQitemZ230030773917QQtcZphoto

I've heard a lot of shops either don't align classic cars, or don't know what specs to align them to.  Plus it seems like it would be handy to play with some different settings to get the best handling.
1968 Dodge Coronet R/T.  Original 440/727.  B5 Blue with White Interior.  1964 Plymouth Belvedere 383/4-speed.  65 Coronet 4-Dr with poly stroker.

Chryco Psycho

I just use a level & a tape measure 

DW

Really?  Wow, you're good.  I wouldn't know where to begin doing it like that. 
1968 Dodge Coronet R/T.  Original 440/727.  B5 Blue with White Interior.  1964 Plymouth Belvedere 383/4-speed.  65 Coronet 4-Dr with poly stroker.

Chryco Psycho

I just did a friends car , he took it in twice to have it aligned , the mech must have no clue as to why things need to be set a certain way , he had the caster totally backwards & the car could not be driven , we set it up with a level & tape measure in a about 1/2 an hour & the car drives perfectly now

nick_iam

hey good idea, u should roughly explain how you went about your measurement techniques, its good to know when putting a suspension back together at home   :yesnod:
'72 charger | 318 | auto - work in progress

Chryco Psycho

I max the caster by twisting the front upper control arm eccentric all the way outward & the rear eccentric all the way inward to move the upper ball joint rearward as much as possible
now set the level [24"] beside the rim & measure from the level to the top & bottom of the rim & adjust the eccentrics until the rim is vertical or close to it , I like the rim to be in very slightly at the top for - camber , this will reduce the caster slightly but try to maintain as much as possible
now set the tow in by measureing across the front & rear of the tires as high as possible  , do not bend the tape measure on headers etc hanging down & set the toe between 1/16 - 3/16 "    depending on tire width , narrow tires need less toe in