News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fan Clutch ?

Started by pb24, September 26, 2006, 06:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pb24

I'm trying to replace the fan clutch on my 68 charger with a 383 and A/C. I went to several auto parts stores and the one that the book said was the right one doesn't work, the shaft between the clutch and where it bolts to the water pump is too long. They cant seem to match it. Has anybody ever ran into this problem? Does anybody know what will work work on my car. Thanks

pb24

another picture

Chryco Psycho

there is a short clutch available  , someone here will have a part # for you

4402tuff4u

You ran into the same problem when I was trying to get a thermo clutch for my 68 R/T. See the link.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,13711.0.html
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

deputycrawford

I run the same fan clutch on my 383 car. It is only around an inch from the radiator. I have ripped the bolts of a lifetime motor mount right through the base plate and rolled the engine over enough to leave a gouge in my hood. I have never had a problem with the clutch fan set up you all talk about. I now run solid engine mounts and ripped the trans mount in half. I have replaced the trans mount with a urathane mount. Again. Never a problem with the set up. I just have to take the shroud and clutch assembly out of the car as one piece. Oh, I also run the 26in wide radiator because the car is a numbers 383 with air. I just bought my clutch from the local parts store. I hope this helps.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.