News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What ignition to use? Factory Mopar? MSD? Bic?

Started by Wakko, October 02, 2006, 08:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakko

My '78 145 horsepower 97k mile 318 was converted to a single point ignition a while back.  I scored a new in box MSD "Ready to Run" distributor ($382.88 in Summit) for $150.  All I need to do is plug two wires in and hook up the coil.  Module is built in.  http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MSD%2D8388&N=700+4294908128+115&autoview=sku

Here's my question.  Should I sell the distributor on Ebay (should be able to get at least $225 for it, maybe considerably more) and use that to buy a Mopar electronic conversion kit ($150 with everything) or make my own conversion kit from the junkyard, but buy a new module, of course.  I could then use the extra money to get a Performer intake and work on the 4bbl conversion.   On the other hand, if I use the MSD, it's a great distributor and it would be super easy to set up.

Ideas?
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Chryco Psycho

IMO the MSD will not increase power over a well tuned stock system , there are 1000s of small block electronic dist in the wreckers , cut out the wiring & take the control box too, should be able to do the conversion for around $40, a 318 will not need a stable at 6000 rpm orange or stable at 8000 rpm chrome ECU 

Wakko

I'm going to hit the yard tomorrow, how much of the wiring do I need?   Where do I connect it all to?  Does it matter what I pull the distributor out of (besides it being a vehicle with a module and a small block, of course).
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Chryco Psycho

you need a dist With the vacuum advance pot [non lean burn ]
you will need the % pin plug at the ECU , 2 of those wires hook to the dist so don`t cut them , 1 hooks to the - coil terminal so don`t cut it either , the last ones go to the ballast
when installing it you needto hook the blue wire in the 5 pin plug to the blue wire at the ballast resister,connect the black wire to the - coil terminal  & plug in the the dist