News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Planning to stroke my 440. Any experience in parts/combos?

Started by marangen, September 29, 2006, 08:13:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marangen

For 68 Charger R/T, auto and standard 3.23 sure-grip (was it 3.23 from factory?)....(triple black)....

440 block is from 1975, and I want a street useable car that can also be taken for a 1-2 hour weekend outing, that still kicks serious b_tt whilst at the same time remains practical....

(which is why I will go for stroker rather than putting in a Hemi - asked some months ago and pretty "unanimous" replies that a 440 was the way to go!)

Did some research last year, but new parts seems to be released continuously etc - so I need an update here please!

Heads - what to use: Indy or Eddie?
Pistons?
Carbs
Cams
MSD?
etc
etc....
Headers? - TI or whatever they're called...?

Would very much appreciate suggestions, especially from someone who'e done this. Also - what to think about in general - easy mistakes and combo errors etc etc....

Many thanks,

Martin

andyf

Well it really depends on what your budget is.  A fairly easy combo that shouldn't need too much sorting out during the build phase would be a 4.250 stroke crankshaft with 2.200 rod journals.  Then use 6.800 long Chevy rods and get Diamond to make you some semi-custom pistons in the correct compression for your heads.

For the heads I'd probably recommend the Edelbrocks.  They are a little small for a big engine but the Indy stuff is more expensive and quite a bit more difficult for a newbie to sort out.  If you have an experienced mopar shop working with you then maybe the Indy EZ heads would be a good choice but you'll need the valley plate and the intake manifold choices are a lot smaller when you go with the max wedge port size.

Chryco Psycho

I would be using the Indy EZ or Sr over the Eddy
440 source has some decent stroker kits available with all the parts needed
Cams are a huge deal , you need to match up exactly what you need starting with Hyd solid or roller choices
I would use TTi headers Only
I would use a carb approx 2x the size of the engine displacement , ex 500 ci 950-1050 cfm 

deathcharger71

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 01, 2006, 03:16:44 AM
I would be using the Indy EZ or Sr over the Eddy
440 source has some decent stroker kits available with all the parts needed
Cams are a huge deal , you need to match up exactly what you need starting with Hyd solid or roller choices
I would use TTi headers Only
I would use a carb approx 2x the size of the engine displacement , ex 500 ci 950-1050 cfm 

dont mean to hijack this thread, but do you always recomend a carb 2x the amount of the cubic inches for a performance motor? ive heard so many differant opinions of using bigger or smaller carbs its giving me a headache  :flame:

Chryco Psycho

yes in most cases I use a minimum of 2 x the CI , I have seen gains of 60 RWHP switching from a 850 to a 1050 on a performance 440 4 times now