News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 passenger door latch assembly, still can't get it on right

Started by WH23G3G, October 04, 2006, 09:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I put the door latch in my 73s passenger door and connected the links to where I thought they were suppose to go. But nothing worked when I pulled the handle. I've got the 73 dealer parts illustrations to go by, but they're not much help because it doesn't pinpoint where they hook up to. Mine wasn't hooked up when I got it, so I never knew how it was suppose to be. I've included this photo of the door latch I'm putting back in and where I put the links that I could figure out. I'm not sure if they are hooked up right. I'm hoping I can get it working, put the door up on the striker and bolt the hinges on enough so that I can do my adjustments. I won't have anyone helping.

RogerDodger

Your right with the inside links as you have indicated. The outside links are just the opposite with the lock rod attaching to the lower link and the door latch rod attaching to the upper link. There are 2 holes on the lower link and the lock rod goes into the upper of the two. There should be 2 plastic hardware pieces to hold the outside rods just like the inside ones that are shown in your photo. My doors are apart right now and I'm not sure why but I can only open the door using the outside links. Maybe they both need to be hooked up for the inside to work I'm not sure but maybe thats why you couldn't get yours to work. Hope this helps.

NHCharger

This is a latch assembly from a 72 driver door. The pivot that my sons finger is on attaches to a rod that goes to the outside door handle.The 6" rod underneath goes to the keyed door lock.
The upper rod on the left that is wrapped in a protective sheathing goes to the inside door handle. The lower left 3" rod goes to a V shaped rocker that is attached to the back side of the inner door panel. The other side of the V rocker has a 15" rod attached to it that goes up to the inside door lock, it is threaded on the top to accept the plastic knob.
As you look at this assembly you are viewing it from the outside of the car.
Hope this helps.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel