News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headlights off and on????

Started by kevin383, September 29, 2006, 12:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin383

Yesterday was my first time I drove the 70 home in the dark. The headlights and doors (opened and closed) (off and on) about 10 times during my drive home. Each time I heard a click, then it began. Any clue? Relay?
At the end of my drive it seemed to go stop...Maybe it was just showing off?
Thanks  :icon_smile_big:
Kevin383

Car's got a lot of pickup. It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?

41husk

Head lights are a direct line (no fuse) it is either the switch or an open ground.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

kevin383

Quote from: 41husk on September 29, 2006, 01:28:19 PM
Head lights are a direct line (no fuse) it is either the switch or an open ground.
Thanks Husk I will remove and clean terminals...
Kevin383
Car's got a lot of pickup. It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?

41husk

I had the problem with my 73, head lights came on and off at will and dash lights did not work at all.  it ended up being the switch.  I hope yours is a easy fix as well.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

kevin383

Quote from: 41husk on September 29, 2006, 05:55:34 PM
I had the problem with my 73, head lights came on and off at will and dash lights did not work at all.  it ended up being the switch.  I hope yours is a easy fix as well.
LOL my dash lights don't work either...I think you hit the nail on the head...Thanks again Bud

RD

i agree with allen, but make sure you clean your ground first.  my 73 had the same issue, and i replaced the headlights, the switch, and the foot bright light switch.... just to find out my ground was corroded.  the ground is located between your battery and the radiator support.  Make sure your negative terminal ground wire grounds to the same screw.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Plumcrazy

If the headlight doors were opening and closing when the headlights went off and on then the headlight door relay is losing power from the headlight switch in the light green wire.  It's not the ground for the headlights or the floor dimmer switch because that would not cause the headlight doors to cycle.

Most likely a bad headlight switch but you should also check the connectors and wire.   Performance Car Graphics along with others can repair your headlight switch.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

kevin383

Thanks very much for the help team...Now I have check it out...kevin383

41husk

Good luck! and I agree with RD It don't cost nothing to check and clean your ground.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

71_deputy

Quote from: Plumcrazy on September 30, 2006, 08:24:15 AM
If the headlight doors were opening and closing when the headlights went off and on then the headlight door relay is losing power from the headlight switch in the light green wire.  It's not the ground for the headlights or the floor dimmer switch because that would not cause the headlight doors to cycle.

Most likely a bad headlight switch but you should also check the connectors and wire.   Performance Car Graphics along with others can repair your headlight switch.

agree with above!!!!!!!!
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

kevin383

I cleaned my ground today and popped my bulk head plug off ...Lights didn't act weird tonight. I will pop the switch out and pop in a anougher one..haha Yeppers I have a spare!! :icon_smile_big: My dash lights still haven't came on...That's got to be the switch...

Plumcrazy

Quote from: kevin383 on October 01, 2006, 02:36:03 AM
My dash lights still haven't came on...That's got to be the switch...

You are probably going to find that the panel dimmer switch is causing that problem.

kevin383

Is it possible to get a new dimmer switch?
Thanks Kevin383

Plumcrazy

Quote from: kevin383 on October 01, 2006, 12:57:52 PM
Thanks Kevin383

First make yourself a short jumper wire with male spade terminals on each end.  Unplug the three wire connector from the panel dimmer switch and install the jumper wire between the tan and black wires.  The dash lights should light at full brightness when you turn on the lights.  If they do the problem is definitely the dimmer switch.

Performance Car Graphics fixed mine for $7 plus shipping.  Works like new.  :yesnod:

kevin383

After I dropped the Charger off at the body shop. I went through the parts boxes I have....I found 2 other switches and 1 dimmer switch.... :icon_smile_tongue:
Now I just need the car...Thanks Plumcrazy.....
kevin383

Quote from: Plumcrazy on October 01, 2006, 01:14:58 PM
Quote from: kevin383 on October 01, 2006, 12:57:52 PM
Thanks Kevin383

First make yourself a short jumper wire with male spade terminals on each end. Unplug the three wire connector from the panel dimmer switch and install the jumper wire between the tan and black wires. The dash lights should light at full brightness when you turn on the lights. If they do the problem is definitely the dimmer switch.

Performance Car Graphics fixed mine for $7 plus shipping. Works like new. :yesnod: