News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

advancing cams

Started by 01MOPAR, October 09, 2006, 10:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

01MOPAR

whats the benefit of advancing a cam?
I'm going to run the mp 280 474  110 lsa purple shaft cam and i was told to advance the cam 4 degree's and it would bring the power band down a little.Any truth to this?

firefighter3931

Advancing the cam 4* will bring the powerband down approx 200rpm. Retarding the cam will delay the powerband approx 200rpm. Advancing/retarding won't make any more power....it just alters where that power comes in at. Whether or not a cam should be advanced or retarded really depends on the engine combination as well as the rest of the drivetrain and car's weight.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

deputycrawford

Thats a tough choice wether to advance that particular cam. What gear and converter are you running? With a stock converter you could advance it. With a MP 175K for example, you could install it straight up.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

01MOPAR

I was thinking of the mp 175k converter.I have 323's but might go with 355's later.Some people say the 280 474 cam  don't start pulling till 2000rpms if this is true maybe i should advance it ?

firefighter3931

Quote from: 01MOPAR on October 10, 2006, 11:09:42 AM
I was thinking of the mp 175k converter.I have 323's but might go with 355's later.Some people say the 280 474 cam  don't start pulling till 2000rpms if this is true maybe i should advance it ?

The MP 280 cam is larger than it looks on paper. With 238*@.050 valve lift don't expect much below say 2500-2700 rpm out of this stick. The 175K converter would work well with this cam degreed in on a 106* intake centerline. You'll like it better with a set of 3.91 gears, especially if you plan on running a 28in tall tire.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

SeattleCharger

Is the Mopar 262 purple cam performance cam bigger than it looks on paper also?  I have one of these I bought but then was going to go with a 282,
I have a 2500 stall, need to figure out my diff. ratio though.  Want tall tires though.  Just sort of want so lope in the cam, you know. 

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

mally69

i run a comp 292 cam in my 440 .       started out on the zero degree mark ran it awhile then put it on the advance mark    after i advanced the cam  i noticed that i idles abit smoother  than it did before it was  advanced   plus it defintley brought the power level  down a bit in the rpm range      also being advanced when i rev it up   the rpms come up quicker

this is just what ive noticed from advancing mine 
if you have any other questions just ask

SeattleCharger

Quote from: mally69 on October 11, 2006, 07:19:31 PM
i run a comp 292 cam in my 440 .       started out on the zero degree mark ran it awhile then put it on the advance mark    after i advanced the cam  i noticed that i idles abit smoother  than it did before it was  advanced   plus it defintley brought the power level  down a bit in the rpm range      also being advanced when i rev it up   the rpms come up quicker

this is just what ive noticed from advancing mine 
if you have any other questions just ask

So you made it maybe more like a 282 might be like on the zero mark?   Could you retard a 262 and make it idle a little rougher, sound bigger, and act more like a 282?  Don't know if my question makes sense.   How do you change these settings?   What do you have to take apart, briefly.   Thank you.

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

mally69

retarding your cam will make it idle rougher but it will probably seems dogish off the go for a second or so    retarding your cam means youll run at a higher rpm to get the power out of the cam  vs.  advancing it and running less rpm  it just changes when your power comes into play in the rpm range

hemi-hampton

What kind of Intake do you have? The single plan open plenum or dual plan. This effects your low end & top end also? LEON.

01MOPAR

the cam is going in a
440 engine 10.25 compression,906 heads
wieand action plus intake
mp 175k converter
323 gears with 25 inch tall tires
headers,750 demon carb
should i install it strait up or advance?

firefighter3931

I would degree the cam in and install it on a 106* intake centerline.  :Twocents:

Ron