News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Linking to an existing DC.com picture

Started by hemigeno, October 09, 2006, 03:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickhemi

Quote from: daytonalo on October 31, 2006, 09:02:09 AM
Can we see the chick with the big BOOBIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what year is the chick? lol ..all matching huh?
Rick<br />charger 69RT HEMI

280bb0

how do you attach a thumbnail to the left colum??

Troy

Quote from: 280bb0 on May 10, 2007, 09:02:56 AM
how do you attach a thumbnail to the left colum??
That picture is usually referred to as an "avatar" but in this forum software calls it your "Personal Picture". You can add/edit this within your profile under the "Forum Profile Information" section. You can choose one of the preloaded pictures (like mine), link to one somewhere else, or upload your own. Here's a few links with instructions:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,27.0.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,46.0.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,8517.0.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,12546.0.html

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

70charger_boy

Alright, first I would like to know if what I am doing is wrong?  Whenever, I post pics on this site I copy and paste a link from my photobucket account to this site.  Does this steal bandwith from this site, or is it good for your site?

Oh, we need more pics of the Daytona Chic.  SHE'S HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charger_Fan

Linking pics from Photobucket & others like it do not use/steal bandwidth from this site, it uses the bandwidth from Photobucket's site. If you link a pic that has been uploaded to this site to some other site, THAT is what steals bandwidth from this site.

I usually link my pics from a pic hosting site like you, to help keep bandwidth usage down on the forums I visit. The only bad part is that if I ever delete the pics from the host site, or close the account, all the pics I've posted everywhere will go dead.
That's not too bad though, because I tend to post a lot of pics that wouldn't be terribly missed anyhow a year from now. :lol:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

70charger_boy

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on August 26, 2007, 11:38:43 AM
Linking pics from Photobucket & others like it do not use/steal bandwidth from this site, it uses the bandwidth from Photobucket's site. If you link a pic that has been uploaded to this site to some other site, THAT is what steals bandwidth from this site.

I usually link my pics from a pic hosting site like you, to help keep bandwidth usage down on the forums I visit. The only bad part is that if I ever delete the pics from the host site, or close the account, all the pics I've posted everywhere will go dead.
That's not too bad though, because I tend to post a lot of pics that wouldn't be terribly missed anyhow a year from now. :lol:

Got ya..Thanks

quapman

Thanks for explaining the stealing bandwidth thing. I never knew anything like that existed or would be an issue. I have considered linking an ad from here to another site, but never did. YES, because I am lazy.

Good place to say THANK YOU for taking the time and $$$ to host this site, too.

Thank you Troy.

Steve

hemigeno

Troy, I've noticed since the new forum software has been installed that the shortcut method of linking to an existing picture doesn't work.  Some of the examples in this thread that USED to work now show the dreaded red "X" in a box.

Is there a way to enable this feature again, or do we have to learn yet another shortcut method?

Troy

Ummm, I noticed that when I got the new forum running. I know why it doesn't work but I can't decide if disabling it is such a great idea. The example using the parameters still works but the direct link to the image files won't (it's a security "feature").

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

hemigeno

I won't begin to tell you what should and should not happen with security features, since you understand the downstream implications of things like this better than any of us.  However, one of the problems I mentioned in my original post still exists.

Occasionally, there is a picture that answers a question - but when I go to post the picture, I find out that I posted it somewhere before.  The question is, where...

When the shortcut feature was enabled, I could re-post (link to?) the same picture file already stored.  Quite regularly, I cannot find the original thread that the picture was posted in.  If that's the case, I cannot go through the steps you first outlined which uses the parameters.

Another downside to having direct links disabled is that there are SEVERAL threads which already contain direct links that now do not work.

Again, I'm not the one who has to deal with the problems of enabling direct links, so do what's best for you and the site overall. 

:cheers: