News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Car Of Tommarow: Nascar's new Formula.

Started by Brock Samson, October 12, 2006, 08:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

pics at the link:
from the wesite www.autoextremist.com

so who's gonna bail from NASCAR fellas?...

http://www.autoextremist.com/page3.shtml

by Peter M. DeLorenzo

Editor's Note: Our Fumes column is written by our Publisher, Peter M. DeLorenzo (aka "Ethanol Boy" and formerly known as "Methanol Boy") - as it has been since Day One of this publication. - Janice J. Putman

NASCAR's Big Lie (aka the "Car of Tomorrow") is the trigger that will send one of the Detroit Three packing.

Detroit. NASCAR tested its much-hyped "Car of Tomorrow" last Monday at Talladega, and by all accounts, NASCAR was right back where they were with the old cars. The Associated Press quoted driver Jamie McMurray as saying, "We were a good five miles slower per lap than what we ran in Sunday's race. And I didn't feel like the cars drove better. You still get loose when guys get in your rear quarter panel. Really, I think this test is more for NASCAR than for us." Ah yes, nothing like the hired help succinctly stating what the "Car of Tomorrow" is all about, in spite of the Corporate Line. According to the NASCAR spin-meisters, the "Car of Tomorrow" has been a five-year project aimed at improved safety, performance, competition and cost efficiency. It is scheduled to run 16 events in '07, 26 events in '08, and be used at all NASCAR events in 2009. But in reality, the "Car of Tomorrow" is NASCAR's attempt to control all aspects of car-building and a calculated attempt at removing all creativity (i.e., "cheating") from the art of constructing "stock" cars for the France family's marketing juggernaut/"racertainment" series.

But the "COT" will have other, unintended consequences too.

First of all, the "COT" is an unmitigated disaster in the looks department, no matter how creative teams get with their sponsor presentations (see below), which is exactly what NASCAR didn't need since the current template-driven cars have all the distinctiveness and appeal of a well-worn bar of soap. And the "Big Lie" surrounding this visual atrocity is that the marketing suits in Daytona Beach would like you all to believe that the "COT" actually improves manufacturer recognition. Take a real good look at the car below. If you can spot the "Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS" in that picture, then you need to apply for a job in NASCAR's marketing department immediately - you won't even have to have the NASCAR chip inserted or wear the NASCAR Kool-Aid patch - you're already sign, sealed, delivered and way down the road with your self-medicated NASCAR deification program. Manufacturer recognition with the current NASCAR cars - what with their cutesy decals indicating the headlights and taillights, and the grille openings meant to "suggest" the street cars - are a joke (one look at the "Ford Fusion" NASCAR front end is all the evidence you need), but the "COT" is even three steps further removed from that.

So, here we are, the Detroit Three are cumulatively spending in the range of $140 million each annually for the privilege of running in NASCAR. That's everything - direct payments to the teams and drivers, promotional events and advertising, and all the other associated hoo-ha that goes into it. And what exactly are the Detroit manufacturers getting for their involvement again? Let's see, since the recent explosion in NASCAR's popularity beginning in 1996 (which coincides nicely with the split between CART and the IRL by the way), the Detroit Three have lost ten points of market share to their Asian and European rivals - and the trend is pointing downward. GM alone has lost five percentage points in the market since then. So, you tell me how the explosion in popularity in NASCAR has helped Detroit's cause in any way, shape or form in the last ten years. Detroit's involvement in NASCAR has accomplished one thing - it has continued to help maintain the Detroit Three's image with people who already are predisposed to buying domestic products - a faction that's dwindling with each passing year.

NASCAR's "Car of Tomorrow" is simply a precursor to NASCAR-branded "specials" that will be marketed and branded as such in a 1/18th scale model coming to a hobby shop near you. With the "COT" NASCAR has served notice that they don't need the Detroit manufacturers and they don't even need Toyota for that matter - because they're bigger than the players involved. And when, not if, but when one of the Detroit Three walks away from NASCAR (exactly about the time some marketing "genius" in Detroit realizes that while they're maintaining an image with their loyal customers by racing in NASCAR, the customers they really need to go after are buying elsewhere), the Poo-Bahs in Daytona Beach will spew pleasantries and extend their gratitude for what that particular manufacturer has done for the "sport" over the years, but silently they'll be saying, "Don't let the screen door hit your ass on the way out because we're movin' on."

Look for the apologists at the various media outlets that NASCAR owns to be in full song, extolling the "beauty" of the "COT" and saying how much better it will be for the sport in the coming months.

Don't you believe it.

NASCAR "Car of Tomorrow" is nothing but the "Big Lie" - coming to a track and a souvenir stand near you. 

BigBlackDodge

Yep, those are some really ugly cars........ricer wing and all. :icon_smile_dead:

BBD

Pistolpete

as soon as that crap hits the tracks - I'm tapping out (and I'm one of the new fans)
sorry NASCAR, I aint buyin it.

awesome post BTW
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

I love being me......ask anybody!

nitrometal

I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

Mopar440+6

Quote from: Brock Samson on October 12, 2006, 08:51:37 PM
Look for the apologists at the various media outlets that NASCAR owns to be in full song, extolling the "beauty" of the "COT" and saying how much better it will be for the sport in the coming months.

Wonder if Trevor Creed works for NASCAR on the side? :-\

I've never been a fan of NASCAR and looks as though I never will be. It's called stock car racing for a reason! They really need to forget this cookie-cutter, every car HAS to be the exact same bullsh*% and get back to the real racing. Give me SCCA GT or Formula series racing any day...
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

TruckDriver

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on October 12, 2006, 09:32:29 PM
Yep, those are some really ugly cars........ricer wing and all. :icon_smile_dead:
BBD

I hate to say it, but I think the current cars are ugly too. If you ever seen the old CASCAR cars, or even the HOOTERS cup cars, they look a hell of a lot closer to factory then any thing NASCAR has run for the past 10 years.

These are CASCAR cars;

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Brock Samson

Anyone remember the International Race of Champions?..

I belive it started in the mid to late 1970s and used identical Camaros (IROCS) at first 'n later switched to Porsches (later went to Jag XK 220s ?  :shruggy:  anyone know about that?..a sweet piece those

http://www.pistonheads.com/milestones/xj220.htm  )

dodge daytonas were used too (sorry wing car guys... they were of the 'k-car variety)

though these were rear-wheel drive and used V-8s...

... anyhow.. eventually they ended up using Firebirds.. Anyhow the races pitted the best drivers in the world and champions from differend racing leagues aagainst each other on different type of tracks with the idea that the best driver would win...

So it seems to me that's the direction NASCAR is headed,.. they will endup having a monopoly supplying the vehicles..
and you can apply your Decals... weather they say FORD, Chevlolet, Dodge, Toyota or Cherry (Chinese cars comming soon to a dealer (walmart?..  :shruggy: ) near you...
So,.. I can understand keeping costs down, but personally I like to see the technical arms race between manufactureres brands companies whatever...
  I sure miss the racing era from 1950-1980... there was so much stuff going on!  Such great drivers and venues!
I miss the Le mans starts...

"The races used to begin with what became known as the "Le Mans start": cars are lined up on one side of the track, drivers on the other. When the French flag dropped at 16:00, the drivers ran across the track to their cars, entered and started them. This became a safety issue after the introduction of safety belt harnesses in 1967, which needed to be properly strapped, preferably by mechanics. At that time pilots entered the first curves with unfastened belts and locked their belts in the straight, if possible.

In 1969, for his first Le Mans 24 hours, a young Belgian talent and F1 GP winner, Jacky Ickx, made a pointed demonstration of the danger of this start method, when instead of running across the track to his machine, he slowly walked towards it, then entered his car and locked the safety belts properly. Sadly, in the first lap of the race, the privateer racer John Woolfe was killed. Despite starting in the last position with an outdated Ford GT40, Ickx managed to win the race in a dramatic finish 24 hours later by only 120 meters. Interestingly, while driving a Porsche 911 to Paris after the race, Ickx was involved in a road accident where he escaped unharmed, having worn his seatbelt.

So the traditional Le Mans practice was partially discontinued the next year in 1970; for this year, the cars were still lined up in echelon formation along the pit straight, with engines off, but the drivers were strapped in prior to the start. On the starter's signal, the drivers could start their engines and start the race. In 1971, a full rolling start was introduced, as used in the Indianapolis 500, thus called the "Indianapolis Start"." quote from...
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24_Hours_of_Le_Mans

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mlodeent.com/IROC/buir74t.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mlodeent.com/IROC/iroc.htm&h=100&w=150&sz=10&hl=en&start=82&tbnid=nl6mIyX1EW8P5M:&tbnh=64&tbnw=96&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dinternational%2Brace%2Bof%2Bchampions%26start%3D80%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

i'm done..  :-\

73chgrSE

Stock cars will never be as cool looking as they were in the late 60's and 70's.

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: DodgeChargerGuy on October 13, 2006, 05:41:38 AM
Quote from: BigBlackDodge on October 12, 2006, 09:32:29 PM
BBD

I hate to say it, but I think the current cars are ugly too. If you ever seen the old CASCAR cars, or even the HOOTERS cup cars, they look a hell of a lot closer to factory then any thing NASCAR has run for the past 10 years.

These are CASCAR cars;

Oh, I agree with you there. But that funky chin spoiler thing makes them even more wierd looking.

BBD

Lightning

I think NASCAR's dead as we know it......good thing I'm into road racing, rally racing, and drifting much more these days.
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

4forty

" Wonder if Trevor Creed works for NASCAR on the side? " agree with that!   I hardly watch it anymore, rather watch old tapes of 60's-80's races

Brock Samson

i love back in the day...  :yesnod:don't care for Jr. though..  :-\

nitrometal

Quote from: Brock Samson on October 13, 2006, 01:55:10 PM
i love back in the day...  :yesnod:don't care for Jr. though..  :-\

I love the "Back in the Day" show also. It brings back a lot of great memories  :popcrn:
I wish that it was available on DVD.  I looked at the Speed Channel website and they rarely release their shows.
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

Schuler

I can easily see as the car of tomarrow comes and common engines (coming soon they say) that the big 3 may leave as the other big 3 (from japan) join. Toyota is dominating the truck series this year and I dont' watch any truck series races anymore. I probobly won't watch cup anymore either.
-Zach Schuler
1969 Charger RT/SE 14.091 @ 98.25 (spinning)
1997 Cherokee Sport 4x4 16.057 @ 84
1956 D-100 Pickup
http://www.cardomain.com/id/schuler

kab69440

"Hey, there ain't nothin' stock 'bout a stock car..."    Harry Hogge(Robert Duvall) in Days of Thunder
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Ponch ®

Quote from: 73chgrSE on October 13, 2006, 12:07:17 PM
Stock cars will never be as cool looking as they were in the late 60's and 70's.

The cars might have been cool, but the racing was boring as hell. There were only two or three cars capable of winning a race - You knew it was gonna be either Petty, Pearson or Yaborough. Not too mention that they would have the rest of the field lapped several times one quarter of the way through the race.

Say what you will about the ugly cars, the commercialization, and the 'sell out' mentality of today's NASCAR, but at least the racing is better and can be upredictable - on any given race, you know that at least half of the cars in the field have a pretty good shot at winning the race.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Lightning

Quote from: MojoJojo Classic ® on October 16, 2006, 02:30:05 PM
Quote from: 73chgrSE on October 13, 2006, 12:07:17 PM

The cars might have been cool, but the racing was boring as hell. There were only two or three cars capable of winning a race - You knew it was gonna be either Petty, Pearson or Yaborough. Not too mention that they would have the rest of the field lapped several times one quarter of the way through the race.

Say what you will about the ugly cars, the commercialization, and the 'sell out' mentality of today's NASCAR, but at least the racing is better and can be upredictable - on any given race, you know that at least half of the cars in the field have a pretty good shot at winning the race.

while true, I'm gonna give it next year before I decide if I'm gonna watch it or not......they're thinking about using the Bud Shootout as a launching point/field test of the car.

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: Lightning on October 13, 2006, 01:31:24 PM
I think NASCAR's dead as we know it......good thing I'm into road racing, rally racing, and drifting much more these days.

While I'm no fan of the COT idea and hate Toyota too, at least it's not drifting.

Sorry dude, but that's unbelievably gay.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Vainglory on October 16, 2006, 04:02:31 PM
Quote from: Lightning on October 13, 2006, 01:31:24 PM

While I'm no fan of the COT idea and hate Toyota too, at least it's not drifting.

Sorry dude, but that's unbelievably gay.

hmmm...I don't know meing...it's catching on. Last month before the Cup race here, a bunch of NASCAR drivers (Biffle, your boy Kahne, and others) showed up at Irwindale for a drift event.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Brock Samson

perhaps if they raced on dirt tracks?..  ;D

i've seen alot of dirt track races here at the Cow Palace, it's basicly a tight oval in a stadium and it ROCKS!!!  :yesnod:

Lightning

it's been working for the ARCA series, that would be pretty cool if the Cup cars did it.

daytonalo

As you all know I hate nascar, that said the cot hopefully will be the final nail in the coffin ! One more thing , I didnt notice a trailer hitch,you know for the DOUBLEWIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :devil:

Brock Samson

Mike DC

"Performance?" 
Why the hell would anybody think NASCAR even WANTS  the cars to be any faster?   They've been slowing the cars down with restrictor plates for 20 years!

Modern production cars, NASCARs, the "car of tomorrow" . . . they're ALL ugly boring shapes that look like bars of soap.  What's the difference?
The "Car of Tomorrow" was supposed to be cheaper, safer, and easier to police cheating.

Lightning

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 17, 2006, 01:01:26 AM

"Performance?" 
Why the hell would anybody think NASCAR even WANTS  the cars to be any faster?   They've been slowing the cars down with restrictor plates for 20 years!

Modern production cars, NASCARs, the "car of tomorrow" . . . they're ALL ugly boring shapes that look like bars of soap.  What's the difference?
The "Car of Tomorrow" was supposed to be cheaper, safer, and easier to police cheating.

And it shall be, if it doesnt put the smaller teams out of business first.