News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona Clones From Around the World - Post Your Pics

Started by Daytona Guy, August 26, 2005, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thallium

Here is another one. I've saved all these picture because of the headlight configurations.   Here is the aussie charger I believe. There are some lights or something up front. Not sure if these are turn signals, lights, or what, but something is mounted right under the leading edge of the nose cone. It looks nice to me.

Ghoste

Is that Onebadsuperbird's car or a different one?  If it's John's, he'll certainly know what they are.

thallium

I think this one is the aussie one also, just with the headlights too big in the grill, which is what I would want to avoid.

charger Downunder

The red daytona is the original Aussie one if you look closly at the movie Running on empty you will see it in the background in a few sceens It was then painted Blue and went back to its homeland.
The extra lights in the front would be to satisfy our road regulations for regestration.
Regards
Steve
[/quote]

Chryco Psycho

hotrod98

One thing is clear to me now regarding non original headlamps. For the car to look right, you would need to at least have the headlamp doors in place. It would look too "non original" without them if you know what I mean. The headlamps could even be recessed under the nose on either side of the grille and have tinted covers and not be very noticable. With the new "bright light" bulbs available, I don't think the tint would affect the brightness that much. That would allow the turn signals to be left where they belong...in the grille. While I don't drive my cars that much after dark, I wouldn't want to be stuck somewhere and not be able to get home.  Besides, we're doing the cruise thing a lot more nowadays like the midnight cruise in Branson each August.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

thallium

well I just started today making the headlight doors fit in the nose cone right. Lots of trimming to get them to sit properly and look right.  I can tell this is not going to be a slap it together and go thing. It's going to take a lot of triming and fitment issues to work out. After playing with the parts, trimming etc..  I can see that making these doors open and close is going to be a big job. More than I will be able to handle.  I'm almost sure for my project, I'll make the doors stay permanently closed and mount some headlights somewhere else. It will be interesting. One thing I will make sure of.....if it does not look right, I will not do it. It has to look presentable, not a hack job.

look at this picture below. What is that under the nose cone? it that a turn signal molded into the nose cone?

thallium

Daytona Guy

thallium

doh... My eyes saw something different, but now I see.

BigBlockSam

hey Tabor
did you read what Dane said about pivoting the headlight doors on top. made me think.  :scratchchin:
i think i have a good idea. let me run it past my brain trust. (that means drink alot of beers with my gear head buddies and figure it out.)   Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

A383Wing

Here is mine..... :wave:

Bryan 
    :drive:

hotrod98

I like very much. 
Who would have thought that a Daytona would have looked that good in that color.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Ghoste

mustanghater

New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

Old Moparz

Someone asked about original headlight door drawings? I don't have them, but my friend's 2 Superbirds are not clones, & whatever they did from the factory is sloppy & seems mostly an afterthought. (Which it was actually.) Anything modified from that design & built on a replica should be an improvement. They shake, bob up & down, & are terrible for visibility at night. (I've driven both his cars & can attest to that too.) He's had one since 1973 & the other since the late '70's, so he has a good history with them.

I don't look forward to tackling the headlight part of the project on mine, but have heard form several people (Wingcars6970 I think) about using the electric motors from a '70 Charger. I found one on eBay for $15 a while back & saved it in case. Ted Janak would be a good person to speak with on this part of the project. If I'm not mistaken, I think he even recommends this & may make something to mount it inside the nose. I always thought I would have gotten around to asking him, but haven't yet.

Has anyone bought his parts yet? They would be in a better position to ask if they did.

Bob
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

BigBlockSam

a couple of yrs ago i spoke to Mr Janek on the phone. inquiring about his parts. i also asked him some tech stuff but all he said to me was after you receive my parts and are installing them he would help me.
  i called mike from dayclona last week. to see about buying daytona blinkers. left my number with a women there. but nobody called me back.
  it's hard to find good help these days. cuda ken just sold me one . so now i only need one blinker. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

A383Wing

I made my headlights operate off vacuum llike original. I also thought about the headlight motor from a 70 Charger, but here are 2 things that I had thought about: 1) I don't think that the little motor has enough power to rotate both buckets full of headlights and wiring. 2) If you look closely at how far the Daytona and Superbird's headlight buckets rotate, they do not go a full 90 degrees, the little motor has full travel of 90 degrees on the 70 Charger....

On another note...I also got Janak's kit for our car...I was dissapointed as to the form & fit of the parts. A lot of work had to be done to get everything to line up correctly. Plus, some of the parts he shipped me were damaged and he would not help to get them repaired or warrentied.

Just my thoughts....

Bryan  :drive:

Daytona Guy

You guys Bryan did about the best job I have ever seen on doing his headlights. I would fly him in and pay this guy to do it. Not to many people could do what he did. Excellent work.

BigBlockSam

i dig the way Bryan's car looks with the lights open. very cool! thats how i want mine to look. Rene

A383Wing

Thanks guys...much appreciated.

To follow up on the "vacuum" headlight operation.....I did not use the standard 68-69 Charger headlight switch. I still have the stock 70 switch in there and I have invented (if that's what you want to call it) an updated electro-vacuum switch that all 68 and 69 owners can adapt over to thier car instead of that OE style leaky vacuum portion on the back of the original switches. I sell them out of my house. I have had one on our car since 95 and have had no problems....picture is below...if interested, email me direct at A383Wing@aol.com....

Sorry guys...did not mean to ramble on and get off topic....

Bryan  :drive:

Brock Samson

i musta missed it but why wont the Corvette mech. work?.

Daytona Guy

See, Bryan is amazing. How much are those switches?

Brock Samson

dayclona

Quote from: BigBlockSam on September 12, 2005, 08:59:39 PM
a couple of yrs ago i spoke to Mr Janek on the phone. inquiring about his parts. i also asked him some tech stuff but all he said to me was after you receive my parts and are installing them he would help me.
  i called mike from dayclona last week. to see about buying daytona blinkers. left my number with a women there. but nobody called me back.
  it's hard to find good help these days. cuda ken just sold me one . so now i only need one blinker. Rene

Rene' Sorry I've been busy, You have a PM                                    Mike/DAYCLONA