News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

best carb?

Started by 01MOPAR, October 16, 2006, 10:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

01MOPAR

demon or edelbrock ?what carb do you like better?also   should i go machanical or vacuum secondary?I was thinking of the mighty demon 750, machanical secondary  for my 440.
my build is
lunati voodoo  cam
262-268/475/494 112
175k stall
action plus duel plan intake

whitehatspecial

I went with a 650 BG Speed Demon, vacuum secondaries, for my built 340. Couldn't be happier.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

firefighter3931

None of the above....Holley is the best !  :devil: A holley HP series or proform 750dp would be my choice.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

deputycrawford

I have the Mighty Demon 750 on my 383. Call the Demon information line first and tell them your engine combo. You might still be in the Speed Demon area. The idle vacuum would be the deciding factor. What is you idle vacuum? That will help us to give you ideas.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Runner

im with ron holley all the way. really depends on what your looking for, but a 3310 holley is a hard carb to beat for a nice driver.   if your looking for more performance then a dp.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

SeattleCharger

What's wrong with the edelbrock? 

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

deputycrawford

Seattlecharger, The eddie would be fine if the engine supports at least 18in of idle vacuum. If the cam he chose makes less, the eddie will idle on the main well causing a large hesitation, at throttle tip in, that can't be tuned out. I would still consider eddie's for a dual quad setup but I use only Holley based carbs for single setups.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

SeattleCharger

Quote from: deputycrawford on October 16, 2006, 05:49:57 PM
Seattlecharger, The eddie would be fine if the engine supports at least 18in of idle vacuum. If the cam he chose makes less, the eddie will idle on the main well causing a large hesitation, at throttle tip in, that can't be tuned out. I would still consider eddie's for a dual quad setup but I use only Holley based carbs for single setups.

Thank you.  I was going to go buy an edlebrock, but didn't know my cam mattered.    Thought if I had manual brakes everything was ok.  Going to get about a 282 cam in the 440 rebuild.  And an edlebrock  Performer RPM™ Manifold (1500 to 6500 rpm)  with about a 750 edelbrock carb, now I don't know.

deputycrawford

Just call Demon or a Holley outfit and ask. Did you know that it was Edelbrock themselves that told me of the idle well problem? I couldn't believe my ears when the Edelbrock tech told me to get rid of the 750 Eddie. Pick what carb you want and call their tech line. They want you to run right so they will give you all the answers.

SeattleCharger

sry to jump in on the thread,
K, thanks.  I always liked Holley better by brand loyalty, but heard the Hollys are hard to adjust, they are way more adjustable, but you have to know what you are doing to adjust them right, something like that.   

For an intake, the Holley  300-14  Intake Manifold  with a  Holley Avenger  870 CFM Four Barrel Carburetor ?   I might have a chance to buy a new 870 from someone who isn't going to use the one they bought.  Or is this too much carb?    Holley sells a 770 CFM Four Barrel Carburetor, manual or electric.   

myk

That depends on the size of your motor.  I'm pretty sure guys like 'Chryco recommend an 850 with 440's...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

MorePwr

I'm running an AED 750 on my 440, Works perfect! I think.... I checked out mikes68s link to holly, and they do recomend an 850. hmm. I wonder if I'm losing a bit of top end and don't know it?

It does feel like my power ends at about 6500rpm, but I try to shift at 6000 anyway, so I didn't see this as a problem. any ideas?

Anyway, for the benefit of the thread, these guys make a great, affordable, race carb.

http://www.aedperformance.com/HO.htm