News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Better than Disney world beyooootch!!

Started by BrianShaughnessy, August 26, 2005, 04:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianShaughnessy

I took a plane ride this afternoon down at the Orange County Airport. 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

derailed

cool, awesome day for it. What kind of plane was that?

BrianShaughnessy

Out over the Hudson and around past Newburtg and then back.   It was cool.

Troy

Quote from: drailed on August 26, 2005, 04:50:09 PM

I'm gonna say it was a B-17.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

BrianShaughnessy

This is one of my once in a lifetime kinda days I think.   

***  Stop ph8gging posting while I'm trying to attach pix -  it blows them out and I gotta start over!!! ****

Just 6T9 CHGR

Done yet?     That looks like a killer ride Brian!

Glad you got to do it
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Troy on August 26, 2005, 04:57:27 PM
Quote from: drailed on August 26, 2005, 04:50:09 PM

I'm gonna say it was a B-17.

Troy

Ding!   Winner!...   of nothing but the satisfaction of knowing the correct answer!

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: 6T9_CHARGER_RT on August 26, 2005, 05:03:34 PM
Done yet?        That looks like a killer ride Brian!

Glad you got to do it

No I wasn't...  :flame:

BrianShaughnessy

maybe I can sneak these in

BrianShaughnessy

The Collings Foundation flew in.    They also have the last flying B-24.   

BrianShaughnessy

The line was long to get on board.     $8 adults, $4 kids just to get on board.     I got there at noon and they had already closed down the line cause they thought they'd be leaving at 1pm.      4 B-17 flights and 2 B-24 flights later I suppose they're on their way to Trenton NJ now.  

I lucked out and somebody reserved a ride but didn't show.     It still costs more to fly around for a half hour in a B-17   than it does for me to fly to Florida and back twice.

Most of the other pics I have to resize to post here and I'm too lazy right now.     

Yes Chris,  I'm done for now.  Sorry.

RD

that is just cool as hell, sounded like a blast!
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Chris G.

Man that's cool. They should have let you pop off a few rounds :engel016:. On second thought, they may need that ammo if they're heading to Trenton.   ;)   Great Pics!!

Not a fan of the F8 interior though. They should have went with K4 or even TX9. Perhaps a Gator top? Oh well, beggars can't be choosers. ;D

TheGhost

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on August 26, 2005, 05:12:02 PMIt still costs more to fly around for a half hour in a B-17  than it does for me to fly to Florida and back twice.

A pretty good deal, if you ask me.  I'd like to go up in Sentimental Journey, the B-17 that stops in Kearney every year.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Ghost on August 26, 2005, 05:42:22 PM
Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on August 26, 2005, 05:12:02 PMIt still costs more to fly around for a half hour in a B-17   than it does for me to fly to Florida and back twice.

A pretty good deal, if you ask me.   I'd like to go up in Sentimental Journey, the B-17 that stops in Kearney every year.

DO IT!   :cheers:

psykicpup

my daughter & boyfriend 'Sunny Sunday'

DFPA and proud of it!

Charger_Fan

Wow, that is too damned cool!
Definitely one of those experiences that make life worth living. :2thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Telvis

Congratulations! Thanks for the pictures. They are as close as I will get to doing that. I don't fly.

ChargerRob

Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: psykicpup on August 26, 2005, 06:18:20 PM
wow! :icon_smile_approve:

Interesting story for you perhaps...  met a very nice english woman on today's flight.   She used to watch the B-17's flying in and out as a child. 

Old Moparz

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on August 26, 2005, 09:29:49 PM
Quote from: psykicpup on August 26, 2005, 06:18:20 PM
wow! :icon_smile_approve:

Interesting story for you perhaps...   met a very nice english woman on today's flight.     She used to watch the B-17's flying in and out as a child.  

Is she the one you threw up on when you got airsick? I didn't see anyone hanging out the window over Newburgh. :D
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Old Moparz on August 26, 2005, 09:59:04 PM

Is she the one you threw up on when you got airsick? I didn't see anyone hanging out the window over Newburgh. :D

Nope...  I couldn't find either of your ragtops with the top down thru the bombsite so I jettisoned my non-lunch at the Stewarts in Wallkill later on.

They were probably saving some the bombs on the left for when they went to Trenton.   I wanted to use them on downtown Newburg but they wouldn't let me  :P   

Silver R/T

nice experience, would love something like this
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Stormhammer

:o you LUCKY SOB

gah - I seriously LOVE WWII planes

and I love the fact that there are communities out there that are dedicated to preserving them like there are people out there dedicated to our Chargers

they're an amazing piece of history

sexy too  ^-^

bull

If I ever get the chance to fly in a WWII era plane I'm going to jump on it. So far all I've had the chance to do is watch. $8 is pretty darn cheap for that experience.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: bull on August 27, 2005, 02:37:56 AM
If I ever get the chance to fly in a WWII era plane I'm going to jump on it. So far all I've had the chance to do is watch. $8 is pretty darn cheap for that experience.

$8 was just to do the walk thru tour.   It was a LOT more for the ride.

bull

BrianShaughnessy

bull

Not bad. How long did you say you were up?

Ctcharger

Cool pix Brian.  That looks like a blast.

Andy

Wakko

They come to the local airport once a year or so.  I think it was $450 last time they were here.   Great pics...makes me want to go watch Memphis Belle!

Sad that after the thousands of planes were built, there's only a handful of B17s left and one flyable 24.  Don't get me started on the Mustang and Corsair. 

Thanks for sharing, Brian.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

PocketThunder

When i lived in Chicago my buddy at work did scuba diving on the weekends.  He said they would go on dive searches in Lake Michigan to look for WWII planes.  I guess there are at least a couple dozen at the bottom of the lake.  Some investors pay up to 1.5 million for a plane in good shape.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

ChgrSteve67

And you think restoring Chargers are expensive?

WOW those planes are great!
:drool5:

4cruzin

Looked like fun to me!!  Nice pics!! Thanks for sharing!   
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

TheGhost

Did anyone see the program about the Lost Squadren of P-38s and B-17s on Discovery channel?  Interesting program.  The P-38 they recovered is argueably the most authentic warbird in flying condition.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Wakko

Is that the one under the ice?  They were going to recover more than one but it turned out to be a huuuuuuuge ordeal and the rest are still there...
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Brock Samson

IF you could have have just ONE warbird...
       What Warbird would Ya' have?..             ???

here's a link..
http://www.warbirdpix.com/

itsbacon

awesome pics. a buddy of mine is the crew chief   on the confederate   air forces b-29 fifi, and b 24 diamond lil(lb 30 for yall hardliners). the memphis belle is undergoing restoration here at the old navy base in millington. sadly it looks like we are going to lose her to the airforce museam in dayton. it would appear that the vast majority of memphians care only for basketball.

itsbacon

strat, it hafta be the ad6 skyraider, later know as the a-1. my old man started his career spinnin wrenches on the able dog in '57 with va 104. recon id take a -5. then i could take 8 of my favorite folks up.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: itsbacon on August 29, 2005, 01:14:05 AMthe memphis belle is undergoing restoration here at the old navy base in millington. sadly it looks like we are going to lose her to the airforce museam in dayton. it would appear that the vast majority of memphians care only for basketball.

I don't know what is up with the Belle myself anymore.    I kinda figured after that movie it would have gotten a good resto job and would have been OK for a long time but I guess not.    Closest I ever got to it was a hour layover in Memphis on a business trip waiting planes when it was on Mud Island under that canopy.     

I see that there are 2 sites for it now.    http://www.memphis-belle.com/    run by the pilot's widow and then the regular http://www.memphisbelle.com/  which has been working on the plane and sells souveniers and such.

Somehow it just seems over the years that the efforts by the Memphis area have been lacking.    There was a 60 minutes episode before the plane got put on Mud Island when it was at some airport just rotting away.   It was sad.   Guess the folks care more about Elvis  :-\

TheGhost

Quote from: Wakko on August 29, 2005, 12:40:59 AM
Is that the one under the ice?  They were going to recover more than one but it turned out to be a huuuuuuuge ordeal and the rest are still there...

Yea.  The guys were considering going back, to bring up another one, I believe.

4402tuff4u

Excellent expirience!! Some day when I'm done with my Charger project, I want to fly one of those birds. We have a few warbirds here in Republic Airport in Farmingdale, NY that fly every weekend. I got to talk to one of the owners and I just have to save $$ to schedule it. Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing  ;D
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Ghost on August 29, 2005, 06:51:15 AM
Quote from: Wakko on August 29, 2005, 12:40:59 AM
Is that the one under the ice?   They were going to recover more than one but it turned out to be a huuuuuuuge ordeal and the rest are still there...

Yea.   The guys were considering going back, to bring up another one, I believe.
I've seen the last 2 thirds of that show twice now. It's amazing the lengths those guys went to dig it out of the ice, reassemble on top, make the engines run & then to have winter close in on them again...I'd friggin' cry! :'(
Did they finally get it out of there the next year?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

ChargerAndy

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on August 26, 2005, 10:06:24 PM
Quote from: Old Moparz on August 26, 2005, 09:59:04 PM

Nope...   I couldn't find either of your ragtops with the top down thru the bombsite so I jettisoned my non-lunch at the Stewarts in Wallkill later on.

They were probably saving some the bombs on the left for when they went to Trenton.     I wanted to use them on downtown Newburg but they wouldn't let me   :P     

You should have dropped cops, brooms, and paint!  :icon_smile_cool:      Especially on Main St................