News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger with NOM 360 (Edelbrock 4bbl) Started Missing

Started by jmanscharger, July 22, 2005, 08:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmanscharger

I ran my Charger in a parade last weekend, it ran great, and it started right up last night. Then it stalled and behaved like it was flooding. I started it with the pedal on the floor and it runs on about 4 cylinders and stalls. I put a clear fuel filter on and the gas looks fine. I did put some gas preserver in with a couple of gallons gas after the parade, afraid this may have caused problem. Any guidance on what to check next? This motor does have points.
1968 Silver Charger RT
1969 Yellow Charger 440
1969 Charger General Lee Replica (rescued W.VA car)
1970 Charger RT Daytona Replica
Previous Chargers Owned 66, 68(2), 69(2), 70(3)

RD

did you check to see if you are getting spark to each cylinder? coil may be toast (coils sometimes will work for a short time until they overheat then they will quit conducting any spark whatsoever).  If you got another coil lying around, swap them out and see how it goes.  If it is your coil, make sure you put a voltmeter on your ballast resistor to see if it is working properly.  If it is not doing its job, it may have contributed to the ultimate demise of your coil. FYI
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Plumcrazy

One of the floats may have a piece of dirt stuck in it.
Try clamping off the fuel line, start the car and run the carb out of gas.   That will allow the floats to drop and maybe allow the dirt to pass thru the needle valve.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:

also tapping on the top of the carb will often loosen the dirt 

jmanscharger

I tried letting it run out of gas and it smoothed out.  when I hooked everything up again it went back to missing,the float did not drop back down, still must have some dirt. It looks like I'll have to try a can of carb cleaner and a hammer...
1968 Silver Charger RT
1969 Yellow Charger 440
1969 Charger General Lee Replica (rescued W.VA car)
1970 Charger RT Daytona Replica
Previous Chargers Owned 66, 68(2), 69(2), 70(3)