News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

aftermarket gauges in stock dash?!?!?

Started by HITMAN 149, October 19, 2006, 11:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukedukem

the speedo you used, were you able to keep the factory speedo cable. did it match up in back?

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

mopar0166

what I did based on another member suggestion was to get a new cable for a 67 charger,  they had a screw on cable verus in 69 which had a clip  easy fix and something no one will ever notice

TexasStroker

Nice progress!  Looking forward to the completed cluster!  I'm getting tired of waiting for a dash pad...might just get back to work on my cluster and start making it modular despite wanting to have the dashpad and top end in place.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

mopar0166

Thanks, I would think by the end of the holiday I should get this done

Mefirst

Here is my version of this project...

/Tom

Dino

Holy cow Tom where have you been!   :cheers:

I shouldn't say much, I disappeared as Doc74 for several years until returning.  How have you been?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

TexasStroker

www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Nacho-RT74

TOM WELCOME BACK.

Love those gauges! I like that font
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

jaak

Quote from: mopar0166 on April 01, 2015, 08:07:38 AM
JAAKS was a lot of help and his method of installing the small 2" gauges worked wonderful.  im glad I didn't try to reinvent the wheel with the small gaagues, ill be working on the mounts for the big gauges then making everything look pretty  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :rofl: :drool5: :cheers:

:2thumbs: Good job!

Jason

mopar0166

ok another step closer,  I got everything fitting good, now on to wiring and moving a couple switched to the dash panel for easier access

frank1966

great post, cant decide what to do? It looks like the kit from classic dash is work to install? They list a lot of tools! What needs to be shaved?

TexasStroker

Quote from: frank1966 on April 15, 2015, 09:42:09 PM
great post, cant decide what to do? It looks like the kit from classic dash is work to install? They list a lot of tools! What needs to be shaved?

Using the smaller gauges several have recently posted, you can make quick work of this upgrade with the factory panel...

I've not rushed to install mine sent classic dash backed out on their promise to send me the black panel for an install since I pitched them the idea and found a guy willing to send in all the pieces...I actually would have it in, but I'm still waiting for a dashpad to then progress to the cluster (long story).

Since the classic dash panel utilizes the factory switches you will want to keep the housing for mounting and attaching points, BUT you will basically want to cut off the backside housing where gauges would hit etc...I can't remember if I have a picture up of that or not...Once you have a set of gauges and play around with the factory piece, or some MDF etc you will see what I'm talking about better than I can describe at 5 AM, lol.  It isn't too bad really...if you've got something as simple as a dremel tool you can just breeze through it...a hacksaw would also get the job done.

A lot of members have been going with Dakota Digital here as of late and the easier to retrofit 2" gauges for the 4 holes.  I still like the idea of using the cd panel since it gives me the look I am after and offers the modern gauges while retaining the factory rocker switches etc.

If I were you, I would scroll back thru the thread, decide what pictures you like the best, and then go with that setup.  The factory instrument cluster remain the best looking dash I've seen, I just like the idea of having a good set of gauges.  If you toy around with the ideas for awhile just pull your panel, trace it to MDF, and then you can play around with gauge layouts etc and factor that in...

Lots of options!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

frank1966

Thanks for that , does anyone sell factory style guages, electrical, modern components? Also want a voltmeter.

mopar0166

Quote from: frank1966 on April 15, 2015, 09:42:09 PM

to do what I did, I used air angle grinder with 2" wiz wheel ,  flattened the little gauages and cleaned the holes to 2"  with the wiz wheel,

the 5" holes I had to make a template and the used a rototool and knife,, the work isn't bad but take your time and make a template its key to make it all fit in there

MTPOCKET